Forums > Videos > My DVD: The Scales of Poi! :P

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 bounce bounce bounce2 bounce2 clap clap clap clap clap clap
It's out! It's done! It's on homeofpoi.com!!!

Yes, I've gone and produced a DVD: The Scales of Poi! A distilation of everything I know about poi. It's loveable. It's funny. It's... well, I can only say so much, because I made it, so you need to order it (yes, YOU) so you can say how great it is, and people will listen to you.

My God, it was a lot of work. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Other people would be more sensible and make a DVD in a sensible way. Me? No. I have to have three camera angles. I have to put myself in a position to turn 24 hours of footage into a 90 minute DVD.

And now it's done! Did I say that already?

Are you excited? I am. Can you tell that I'm excited?

I don't know whether I'm itching to make another one, so I can do it the easy way, rather than the do-everything-the-hard-way way.

Oh, wait, I'm itching to get back to practice. Working on the computer is most definitely different than practicing. I'll just... Oh, shoot. That's right, I'm homeless and I owe the bank money. Should I have listened to my mother? Of course not! I'd be a terrible stripper.

Much love to all of you ubblove

nick biggrin

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

LucyhappyBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
We ordered this DVD last week and recieved and watched it yesterday.

We're very impressed cool

I agree with one of the above posts that it's 'advanced basics', exploring the complexity of the moves and movement covered in this DVD gives one the ideas to polish up ones alphabet to enable better poetry, if you know what I mean ubbloco
Also, instructional media on any subject can be somewhat heavy to watch but the sense of fun and beautiful spinning throughout this DVD made it captivating.

Well done to the team involved, I look forward to more in the future.

Light, trees and stars peace
Lucy.

People are only as happy as they make up their minds to be.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
My one should be on its way

I'll be lying in wait for the postman for the rest of the week

smile

Nice one Nick!

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ditto

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
got mine the other day tis awesome reminds me of uber oz ubblove very impressed with how well its put together clap clap bring on the next one

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
nice job meenik, ill be sure to get a copy of it broseph, congrats wink

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Doh, I sent mine to the wrong address I'll have wait another week now!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Love ubblove helps??/
Cool!!
Have some more ubbloveubbloveubbloveubbloveubbloveubbloveubblove

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
just seen this!

Dude - clap well done on getting this together - i know exactly how much time / hassle / love and money which has no doubt gone into this...........

Great job!

This year is full of soooo many great DVDs.

Its lucky that there are a few people who dont slack round here eh!

Cant wait to see it Nick smile

weavesmiley

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
AAH!! It's here and I'm not broke!! AAGHH!! *runs around wildly in circles*

And here I was all depressed cause years have gone by and I haven't managed to make it up to Vancouver for any of the workshops! And I thought to myself, man at this rate I'll NEVER get to see what all this 'scales' business is about or learn some of the coolest stuff ever!

Dammit someone make it get here faster!

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Whoohoo..Im getting this for mothers day. Its amazing what broad hints and web adresses can do. biggrin biggrin

Gabe and Ben say nice things so it has to be good. hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Oh, Nick, you are brilliant!!!
Funny and cute too...

So good to see the final product. Makes me want to pat yer head and rub yer belly, and go out for a spin.

Man, do I ever need some practice. I have been such a slacker, and your video really reminded me of the various drills to work on. Getting excited about flowers, it being spring and all.

Thanks for sharing all your hard won wisdom my friend.
loads of love,
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
smiles.

nice post, andrealee, esp..

Written by: andrealee

thanks for sharing all your hard won wisdom my friend.
loads of love,
andrea

nick is cool! hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

SchitzSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
Hey Nick...

Great dvd ! ...finally got to watch it this last couple of days.

Unique teaching technique ...basics, variations, planes..endless possibilities and movement.

Already I've picked up so much from watching it, and feel inspired and focused to carry on learning. I was previously in a bit of a learning slump, where no other sources where satisfying my spinning needs. But I just knew you would have the goods...and you did !

Thanks for sharing smile

Look forward to more releases in the future !

Poivert

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
awesome vid mate! great to see you leave some personality in there. I think it really shines through and adds to the video.

So refreshing to see such a different approach to poi. Theres a lot of value in this video to be sure smile

I'd have liked to have seen perhaps some suggested routines for practicing 'scales of poi', but I also think that without them your video makes people practice in their own way - rather than just reproducing your technique.

I want to get a T-shirt that says "You can be a Poi Pioneer!"

smile

Thanks!

Josh
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1147695336)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
2 weeks down the track, I would have to say this is REALLY helping me get past blockages and achieve things I was just failing at.
It is a great approach with its emphasis on building motor skills rather than just learning moves.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
My Bro got one, and we watched it as soon as it arrived (v early on a saturday morning)

i've gotta say, it made me think about how i spin and made me wanna return to basics and polish stuff off, techy is great, but fluidity is beautiful!!

really well produced, and its great you have gie it such a light and friendly feel, its not in the least patronising nor pushy, its nice and...comfortable

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Been told by a few people I'm fuild enough already but I still wanna master techie stuff and I'm a LOOONG way off from that. I suppose this'll be the wrong DVD for that then?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
i dont think this dvd could in any way be considered "wrong".

you will benefit far more from having this dvd than from not..

smile

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
In a way it's about tech stuff that doesn't look that tech. I think understanding flowers takes a lot of technical plane control, and understanding the mechanics of compound circles, and all the variations of how to put them together... but when you do it, it still looks kind of easy, although it's not. So, to me, doing arms same direction chase while poi go opposites, and having the timing such that they move together like circling cogs, and turning while you're doing it, is quite technical, and took more time to learn than a BTB 5 beat weaves... but people look at the stuff with the flowers and say, "wow, you make simple things look so beautiful." ubbrollsmile

Also, it is my plane control that's now allowing me to do things like antispin compound circle hyperloops, so the "advanced basics" definitely pay off with tricky tech abilities.

Order it! It's only $20! That's like only seven cappuccinos.

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Skinky

My Bro got one, and we watched it as soon as it arrived (v early on a saturday morning)

i've gotta say, it made me think about how i spin and made me wanna return to basics and polish stuff off, techy is great, but fluidity is beautiful!!

really well produced, and its great you have gie it such a light and friendly feel, its not in the least patronising nor pushy, its nice and...comfortable

Yes, it was absolutely worth getting up at 8am on a saturday to watch, very inspiring and made me look at what I do when I'm spinning and why, why some stuff works and other stuff doesnt.

Its the kind of dvd you can watch, go away and put into practice and think hey thats cool, go back and watch it again and take away something completely different each time, highly recommended to both new and old spinners alike weavesmiley

Motley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
It is utterly wicked... thank you Nick... some great teaching styles and explanations in there... well done for all the hard work and thank you so much for sharing...

Love ya lots... see you soon biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
 Written by: nik

antispin compound circle hyperloops

what fun!

biggrin

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Watched and it's excellent! well done Nick! It's like being at uberpoi all over again, but this time I won't forget it all because I can watch it all again. smile

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Well done Nick! biggrin

I'll have to order myself a copy sooner or later. wink Cant wait to see it when I do.

~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Got the DVD yesterday, 2 days before my exams start! I have kept it wrapped up, because I know that as soon as I open it, I will watch it, watch it again, practice everything, watch it again, and fail my exams (what can I say, I have no will power rolleyes). So, a review (which will probably look like all the others already posted here) will come on 9 June:)

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Ordered my copy today biggrin Looking forward to it smile

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
My copy just arrived in Germany a week after my order and I just watched it.

Got to say, congrats and thanks, Nick.

Seeing myself as an "advanced beginner" it is just what I needed now to progress further. Nick develops a though through practising system that reminds of sports and indeed music: You dont run faster by just running more, you dont learn to play piano starting with Beethovens 9th, you gotta do it step by step and work the scales. Once you got the scales as solid foundation, the actual play as complex as it might be will then come quickly but on top it allows you flexibility to express your own creativity.

Funny enough, I kinda intuitively had already begun to walk that path, realising that I cant just jump into a waistwrap or btb weave drill but better learn to control 360 degree planes first, once I got those, both should be playable ... Seeing this approach presented thoroughly thought through is thus reassuring, even though it smells a trifle sweat ...

Also nice to see that Flowerkings dont just fall from the sky or have been simply blessed by the gods of poi, rather its the hours put in and the more methodical the approach, the more blind spots defined and ironed out, the better the result.

Absolutely fab Vid, lots of hints and tips, enough fun to stick to it (I hope) and a nice background section about preventing poi injuries rounding it off ...

Anyone who isnt yet proficient Überspinner should benefit from this Vid. Only point of improvement is that a few motivational performances might have increased the fun, as they're more fun to watch DVD quality vs PC ...

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
biggrin flowerkings.

nick is the king of lots of things.

good old nick. hows your hair, buddy?

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Well i've watched the dvd all the way thru now and it is excellent.

No matter how good you are at poi, you will definitely learn something from nick.

He manages to teach all those tricky to explain things that everyone usually skips over unless you're face to face with them. But without getting bogged down in all the details.

I love the comic edge to the presentation. It's great that it teaches in a way that lets the student explore the possibilities without just telling me all the answers parrot fashion.

The use of 3 camera angles is excellent. Altho i'd love to have a little fiddle with the editing of them. That's not a dig, i just wish nick and i weren't on opposite sides of the planet smile The 3 angles help with the explanations heaps.

Just go order one. It's brilliant, you'll learn loads. The physio section is gold dust too.

The voice over girl is great and she explains things really well. The only bad thing about this film is the pronuciation of the word maori lol, it's so hard to say correctly and it's great to hear a well spoken english accent trying to pronounce it. I can't say it either.

In conclusion, BUY IT, WATCH IT, LOVE IT

Thanks nick, maybe one day i'll even be able to spin compound circles,

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Matt, I want to see you *wibble* compound circles off the walls and ceilings wink wink
No less will satisfy!

hug
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Page: