Forums > Social Discussion > Food intolerances - What to eat?!

Login/Join to Participate

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I'm intolerant to a lot of foods (Wheat, Corn, milk, egg white, yeast, sesame, bananas, oranges, citrus fruit, mushrooms, grapes, kiwi and caffiene)and i know there are a lot of hoppers out there that have similar problems. I have been really bad at only eating what I am supposed to and it means that I generally feel quite crappy. Every time i try and cut out the bad foods i end up with really bad food cravings and loose lots of weight because i can't find anything that i want to eat. I have tried lots of the alternatives and it has been a costly and mostly bad tasting experience.

What i would like is if this thread could have peoples recommendations for products that are good alternatives and recipes for tasty food.

Has anyone found any good cheese alternatives?
Is there a recipe for wheat & yeast free bread that isn't unbearable to eat!?

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Flid has lots of yummy vegan recipes... and I know he's found a good cheese alternative, 'cos he's made me a delicious pizza on one of my visits... he's around here somewhere...

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
DIY indian food sounds like it'd work for you, if you like spicy... DIY, so you know what's going in it

although... you couldn't have naan(yum)/roti etc, unless you can find a way to make it without wheat

got it... gluten-free naan:

Gluten Free Naan Bread Recipe

rye bread is yummy... a lot denser/heavier than "normal" white/wholemeal bread, but yum...

don't know about the cheese, though... I've tried a few cheese "substitutes" and I thought they were all horrible. can you have goat's cheese? feta is really nice on pizzas

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I haven't any suggestions, but I'm wondering how you found out about them. Did you get tested by your GP ? or were your intolerances blatently obviouse?

I am working my way through these, and today i have found out that I am not allergic to cats ..........woo hoo !

edit: i didn'y put thislink in rolleyes
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1145537983)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
mmm pizza - did it melt like proper cheese?

I eat lots of thai and chinese food which is mostly ok. I'm not a huge fan of Indian food.Its more the biscuits, breads and cakes that I crave the most. I can't find a good bread recipe anywhere. Not being able to eat both wheat and yeast means that I have to have some kind of soda bread but all the recipes that i've tried are horrible!!

I found out by having blood tests. My mum paid for it privately through https://www.yorktest.com/
as my doctor refused to do anything about it despite it being a contributing factor to the symptoms of Fibromyalgia and Aspergers, two conditions that I suffer from.
Some of them I have always known about because they were really obvious - Oranges, mushrooms and bananas make me really sick. Bread makes me bloated and lots of fruits give me headaches.
Some people are able to reintroduce foods after not eating them for a few months but when i tried that and got bad reactions from everything. The problem was that i was so hungry i didn't care and went back to eating crap again.

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
My mom had many food allergies/intolerances that really affected her quality of life for a long time. She found out about an allergy elimination treatment that has worked wonders for her. The system is called Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques (NAET) and it has vastly increased the number of foods that she is able to eat. She used to get many bad bad migraines that would confine her to bed in the dark for a day or two. These rarely happen now. Her energy level used to be very low as well and she has much more energy these days.

I am not sure if you would have access to a practitioner of NAET in your area, but here is a link to the NAET site. Treatment is along the lines of accupressure and other alternative medicines.

NAET homepage

Hope that you find something useful!!

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

RumpleSTmember
61 posts

Posted:
GREENLADY331 is a herbalist, she makes lots of wheat free, dairy free things, that dont actually taste too bad, ill get her to post here if you want?

Its a big ol mish mash!

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
I went to see a Naturopath last year, and although I don't have any allergies, she told me that I should not eat wheat. I tried both Spelt and Kamut bread and found them both to be really good. I prefer them to regular bread even now. I know that the bread I was eating also contained yeast, but there are Spelt/Kamut yeast-free breads available at most health food stores. You can also buy Spelt/Kamut flour and make your own bread if you can find a good yeast-free recipe.
Hope this helps.

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that link Jerry, I will look in to that a bit more

RumpleST that would be great

Blayze, Spelt is another form of wheat. It has a slightly different form of gluten in it that is more easily digested but not all people who are intolerant to wheat can eat it. I find that it doesn't have such obvious effects as normal wheat but it still causes me problems. I have not tried Kamut (hadn't actually ever heard of it) but that is another type of wheat too. Spelt does make amazing bread if you are able to eat it, much nicer than bread made with normal flour.

thanks for the input everyone
ubbrollsmile

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I found some great cheese today made by https://www.tofutti.com/
it melts like real cheese and its tasty too!
yeay!

RayinRedSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I have a ton of food allergies too (wheat, dairy, nuts, chocolate, night shade vegetables, ect). I've found that rice noodles with tofu and sweet potatos with black beans have become my main diet staples. I spend a couple of hours cooking on the weekends to get me through the week without cheating and getting sick.

There are also a couple of good wheat substitute brands that have pancake and cake mix. Just look around the heath foood store, some of the options sink but you just have to try out what works for you.

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
Star, Sorry about that, I missunderstood. Yes, Kamut is another type of wheat as well as Spelt. They are usually recommended for prople with wheat allergies, not intolerances. I didn't know there was a difference until I read a little more about it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
erm buckwheat...its sounds like it has wheat in it but im allmost certain it doesnt (i think its made from reeds or something) my uncle who has loads of intolerances allways eats it...and buckwheat pancakes are still absolutely delicious sorry if it does have wheat in but i hope i helped cool

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest