pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
i dont even know where to start realy, ive never done much like this except some diabalo when i was younger.

my little sister just got into poi, and it realy doesnt attract me much, but i have been to alot of festivals (hippy parents) and have seen alot of fire stick, it realy attracts me, so i came here to look for some help on where to start, what to do etc.

thanks

Just call me Pop.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
err see that thing at the top of the page that says 'Free Lessons' - click that and youll find a option called 'staff lessons'.

cheerio!
E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
aaaah, i shoulda opened my eyes before i posted, lol. thanks.

so where can i get sticks, not online cos i dont have use of a credit card, and i would like to try out some differant lengths. and is setting them on fire to force a sharp learning curve a good idea? =P

Just call me Pop.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
no setting them on fire wont help you learn - its just more likely youll burn yourself.

now if you cant buy online, id recommend going to the events section of the discussion board, and searching for threads about meets in scotland - and either meet up with some other firespinners in your area, or send them a PM through the board asking questions like that.

E.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
hey there pop...welcome to hop!! <-- pogo's a poet now

I'm a rank beginner too...without a clue <-- did it again

anyway... I'm practising with a broom handle weighted down on both ends. is it ideal? probably not. does it work well enough for now with zero chance of serious injury? absolutely...

but what you really need to do is hook up with some like-minded fire-twirling locals...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
so i have located the handle (im sure my mum wont miss her mop) what can i weight it with?

and ive been lookin at some of the stuff in the lessons and realised i used to do that stuff with bamboo sticks in my back garden. or some of it anyway, lots of palm spins and helicopter stuff. nothin too fancy.

and lovin the poetry, wink

Just call me Pop.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
haha!! I had to sacrifice the only broom too... but twirling is far more important than sweeping... (who am I kidding... not like I sweep anyway) eek

OK... I (understand that I have no natural talent for such things, so there's gotta be a million better ways) wrapped a sock around each end and wrapped half a roll of masking tape around each of them... ubbidea

the problem I'm having with the online lessons @ the moment is that it's good to have the vid in front of you while you practise... which means twirling a broom in a small bedroom with a double bed, couch, pc, and filing cabinet in it... biggrin

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
WIFI laptop =P i guess i wont have that problem.

Just call me Pop.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
biggrin I got the WIFI, but it's in a PC and I'm not lugging it out into the backyard...

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
ive been real busy and my mum hsouted at me alot when she saw me sneaking her mop away (i guess she will miss it). but as for weighting, will a few old t-shirts and some duct tape work? (im a musician and soon to be roadie so i have plenty of both)

Just call me Pop.

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
tennis balls work quite well, and you can always fill em with snd if theyre too light, may look a touch tidier as well!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Scotland eh?

These geezers make ace toys, and they're local to you.

https://www.tepookatoys.com/

Enjoy!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
awesome, i might have to pop in there next time im in the town. cheers

Just call me Pop.

TwirlyGirlyGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
Just read the whole thread an am laughing my socks off.... having just snapped my newly purchased broom from Tesco only to find I could have simply twisted the brush off the handle(Dhoow!) As for the sock and sticky tape combo I went for.... lets just say it not me neatest job!!
I've been doing the mad dash from the PC outside, spin around my 'Blue Peter gone horribly wrong' staff only to rush back inside again etc etc
been out enough to get sun burn though... or is it wind burn from all that running in and out!

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
haha well im starting college on monday and still havent put together a staff due to running about buying chromatic tuners and trying to find my brand of strings etc. and my mother gaurding her beloved mop with barred teeth.

but on wednesday im finaly gonna start, and all summer i will be taking my sis to the workshops in edinburgh and hopefully by the end of this summer i will be able to look cool in a field with a firey stick =P

Just call me Pop.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
well... just so you know how sturdy they are, my broom/socks/sticky tape staff has now lasted about 2 weeks after being used'n'abused by me and my 3 boys... and they're not gentle biggrin

noticed something disturbing though... my 6yo, isaac seems to be picking up the staff quicker than I am... what the? it's taller than him!!! eek

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
lol. well my sis is lookin quite good at the whole poi thing, and shes 9!!! when i was nine all i could do was get muddy and annoy my parents, she can also speak three languages, and i can hardly speak one !!!

i hate it when smaller people out do me. =P it just isnt fair
EDITED_BY: pop_n_fresh (1145760875)

Just call me Pop.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Pogo, kids are evil like that, they can just pick stuff up and do it. I once taught a 9-year old every single thing I know from 2 years of poi in about 2 hours... amazing!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

lucy_janeBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
arr the problems of young children when your tryin to learn a new toy!
its soo annoying i once showed some children some poi tricks they tried after me an picked it up amazingly well, they put me to shame =(
i dont get how they do it. i spend ages practising usually for it still to go wrong and then they try and get it first time.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
heh... well, I gave up on poi almost straight away after watching my 12yo pick up my newly made sock+tennis ball poi and swing them like a pro... I swear he just picked them up and started swinging in unison all over the @#%@ place. like he'd been @ it for years.

I'm sticking with the single staff... I can @ least keep up a snail's pace rotor, so I'm not *completely* incompetent.

I'm convinced that kids pick things up quicker because we (adults) think too much. Or at least, I know I do... I pick things up much quicker when I stop thinking so much and start just *doing*...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol its true, children between 6 and 9 soak up information faster than anytime in there adult lives. Thats the age you should learn new things. Shame the entire school system in england is too stupid to realise that and they wait until secondary school to start teaching you the 'hard stuff', like forighn languages, science, and everything else...and then they have the nerve to lie to you lol, did you know that the structer of an atom is NOT what they teach you it is in school, and that crap they teach you about rainbows...barely a half truth.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
biggrin well, I had my 3rd burn tonight and picked up a few tricks... how do you like that, Isaac? (isaac is the 6yo)

and....!!! I was given a staff of my own!! how made job, lit her up twice tonight wink

how's your twirling coming along, pop?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I too big up the te Pooka.
Their stuff is cooooooool. smile

But not nearly as good as this here Home Of Poi ubbangel

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

and....!!! I was given a staff of my own!! how made job, lit her up twice tonight wink

Hmmm... home made job... not how made job. It made sense when I wrote it...

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
ugh, dont even mention it. the day i started about a million personal issues exploded into my life, and right now i resent music, women and familys. and thats just the shortlist. so i am getting in very little twirling time

but what i do try i seem to be picking it up kinda quickly. i wish i was nine. lol

Just call me Pop.

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
I made 2 practice staffs with two 4 1/2 foot piece of 1/2 inch EMT electrical conduit and 4 tennis balls. Just cut a small X in each ball and push it on the ends of the staff. Then I wrapped the grip with some Wilson brand sports wrap tape for tennis racquets, golf clubs, etc. Total cost about $10-15 (US) for both.

"Better to burn out than it is to rust" - Neil Young

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
hi pop,
finding time to burn is always hard theres never enough time,
juyggling convention are a great way to meet people and learn tricks,
also the hop circles of light videos are a great resource,my advice is to keep your own style of twirling as much as possible and to always have fun.
good luck.
tim