stickmenBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
What are some exercises I can do to develop my left hand? I'm a righty and can't seem to get my left to move as well as the right. confused

Would appreciate any help! ubbloco

IntruderBRONZE Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
time, lots of single haneded practice. I would also suggest working infront of a mirror to see where during the rotations your hand plays up.

Ive also found arm/hand braces sometimes help people who cant control thier wrists too well. this will help train their arms/wrists to stay straight biggrin

hope this helps

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
developing tyhe left hand takes a lot of time, but can be very rewarding, i find the non-dominant hand has a lot to teach you, buty instead of telling it wht to do, like the right, you have to listen to it doing its own thing. after some time you will find that the left hand is actually better at some things, though will never feel like your right hand does.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Intruder

lots of single haneded practice.

woord!

first - do the move you want to learn with both hands. probably it wont work at all.

then do it with your dominant hand - maybe this will work.

then work for AAAAGEES with your off hand. then go back to your dominant hand and think about how you do -really - do it.

eventually put it together and voila, you've learnt a new move.

this has worked for me with, for exemple, BTB weave....

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
practice more with your non-dominant hand is all i can say!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

stickmenBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone. Ya I know that was a pretty obvious question. I've been practicing with my left hand more. I think I'm going to loose all my brain cells from hitting my self in the head... but thats ok. lol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
youu dont need brains to play poi. look at me!

*spins round in chair*

weeeeeeeeeeeee! weeeeeeeeeee! weeeeeee!

*stops for a sip of coke and starts again*

weeeeee! weeeee......

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Actually your left hand will improve naturally just by spinning, even if you're using your right hand as the dominant one. If you've not been spinning for long I wouldn't worry too much about it... you'll get to a point where your left hand does most of what you want automatically.

At that point it's time to start playing with wraps and (harder) stalls with your left hand. Make sure you can stop, start and change direction with your left hand completely independently of your right i.e. your right poi keeps spinning smoothly. Not at all easy, but good practise! biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i had a similar problem.

so i learnt everything with my left hand, or at least leading with my left hand first. then when i tried it with my right it was easy.

much easier than learning it with my right THEN my left

as for excersises: get a squash ball and just squidge (is that a real word?) that in your left hand. and learn to widdle a pen / devil stick / drum stick in your left hand

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?