Page:
The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
short and sweet, ive been on the old poi-balls (as my stepmum calss them) for a good old hog of about three years.

gramted when i first started i went craze over it, but now the moves are generally all there its good to no that i can whip em out evernow an then to have a good time (my poi-balls)

the weave was the first thing i learnt (much to my dismmay i however found that bypassing a lot of the basic moves hindered me a great deal later on) i recently aquired a girlfriend from somwhere (i forget where) and let her have a play, i in fact lent her a my pair of beloved sock poi-balls to practice with.

I'm sorry, im putting off the point, it stands, dear readers that while self tuition took me substantial time to acheive the level i swing at now, it took the gf 3 weeks to get to my level.

3 WEEKS! ubblol

yes i know i should be happy for her..and i know its good shes taken a keen interest but come on, thats kindov depressing!

so really, is this fair??

(if u feel you are about to type something like 'thats really good..' or 'be happy, shes doing poi..' then i strongly advise not, i beleive most are allergic to a swift kick up the bottom) ubbrollsmile

oh, i love her realy..awww ubblol hug

never ever EVER, poke me with that thing.

just my little joke. As always.

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
and yet further still, i cant finnish my cake frown does someone else want some...?

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I just ate breakfast... but what kind of cake is it?

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
i'll have some cake, hvala.

anyway, i was reading this thread and i had a pont but now i forgot it cos y'all confused my mind. alot. so..........aye

Just call me Pop.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pop_n_fresh

i'll have some cake

cake...................................did you say CAKE!!!!!

is it cheesecakeubblove

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmmm cheese cake.

i think this forum has the most amount of insane people i have ever had the pleasure of meeting. i think i should fit right in =D

Just call me Pop.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

*hands rave one of her grandmother's baked cheesecakes*

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

*hands rave one of her grandmother's baked cheesecakes*

awww yum... got another spare? gotta luv ubblove grandma food... and cheesecake... baked cheesecake (<-- homer drool)

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

RumpleSTmember
61 posts

Posted:
mmmmm cheesecake. *slobber*

Its now 4.30 am. Just had a fire but I ran out of fuel. no poi for me tonight frown

off to munch some well needed food

Its a big ol mish mash!

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
im sorry i beleive it wasnt chessecake, but it did contain some other lesser known dairy product, will this do?

james_r80GOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
mmmmn cake...... black forest cake is good

Seize The Carp

RumpleSTmember
61 posts

Posted:
oh dear, i must have had cheesecake on the brain. The green lady poisoned my mind. Really have to watch out for that.

Its a big ol mish mash!

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
does ne1 know what lycan thropia is?

sorry, it is a small digression from cosmic therys an dleft ping pongs with twirly bits, but im not sure and some1 asked me today,

no wait, i asked some1 else today becuz i didnt knw, one of those words tat gets stuck in ya hed for awhile,

i wanna say some sorta disese...

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Lycanthropy is the disease by which you become a werewolf. It is sometimes incorrectly used to refer to becoming other animals (werebears), and can also refer to a mental disease in which you simply take on animal characteristics. The most famous person to have had this affliction was probably Nebuchadnezzar.

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
thats actually extremely intersteing, i remember where i read it now, was in the play 'the duchess of malfi' which ive been reading. Ferdinand gets it at the end.

on a different note again then, why have they named the Morpheus's ship the Nebuchadnezzar, after a man famed for having a werewolf didease, unles he was also known for somethin else?

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Symbology in the Matrix is overhyped. After seeing the sequals, I am dubious at any attempt to try to find a deep meaning in the name of the ship.

Nebuchadnezzar was known for many things. His empire was the "head of Gold" on the statute that represented the kingdoms between the conquering of Israel and the comming of the Messiah. Mr. Neb was also the king who threw the guys in the firey furnace, although I can't really fit that into the plot of the matrix. He did quite a few other notable things. However, If I were going to put his name on something I would definately have his disease in mind.

My post was not clear. He did not become a werewolf. He had "clinical lycanthropy" where he went insane and acted like an animal for seven years. This curse was put on him because he had become to prideful, and God wanted to show him humility. He learned his lesson, glorified God, and got his kingdom back. One could theorize that the ship in the Matrix was supposed to suggest to us the idea of someone who was once great, then lost their greatness for a time, but then regained it.

I'm sure some Matrix fanbois have researched this and come up with a much deeper explanation.

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
*comes in and reads about three quarters of the thread, then head explodes and falls to the floor in a little Loki ball*

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Wikipedia interpretation of the ship in the Matrix:

Nebuchadnezzar (Commanded by Captain Morpheus) - Nebuchadnezzar was the babylonian king in the Bible who (as an agent of God) attacked Jerusalem. God did this because the people had become corrupt, turned from God, and even ignored the prophets God sent to warn them. Notably, the Bible records King Nebuchadnezzar having had a number of prophetic dreams - which relates to the ship's captain name: Morpheus, the Greco-Roman god of dreams.

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
i didnt suggets i beleived he had become a werewolf, lycanthropia as a word would only be assigned to a true disease, not a fabricated one of actuall wolf transformation, still extremeley interestin.

do both Morpheus and Nebuchadnezzar share the same mythology or are they both taken from different points in history and pasted together in the film?

if you dont mind me asking mr patriarch, whats makes you knowledgable in these subjects? apart from wikipedia smile

regards

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Morpheus is greco/roman diety. Mr. Nezzer was Babylonian king. Morpheus may have had a precursor in Babylon, but the connection seems tenuous. I interpret the symbols in Matrix as a hodgepodge of different ideas without too much holding them together.

My knowledge of these matters comes from seeing the Matrix, reading several articles "interpreting" the Matrix, the book of Daniel, and high school and university history classes.

nikkisaysSILVER Member
8 posts

Posted:
 Written by :The...Joker

Ah! the secret of all poiing, a LOT of spare time

well.. that and the ability to get whacked over and over in the same spot and not walk away!

"grab the shovel, harold."

Holzy1SILVER Member

Posted:
yes, the secret of poi is having tons of free time. my advice is to get a job with a really crappy company, get laid off after 3 years of blood sweat and tears, collect unemployment and spin all day. i've only been spinnin for a few months and i can do a 5-beat weave.. sometimes. i haven't mastered it but i can pull it off sometimes. but that's what happens when you spend 3-4 hours every day practicing.. lots of cuts and bruises but speedy skill progression.

oh and to the guy who said something about dancing.. you definitely should have learned to dance before you took up poi, lol.. having dance skills helps my poi out tremendously.

TurtlePistranger
13 posts

Posted:
im sorry but i feel the need to say it,over one weekend(last)
i learnt crosses and reverse crosses,two beat,three beat and five beat,and im doin pretty well with 7 beat

LOL,of course thats not true,im on 5 beat now and i cant seem to do anything apart from crosses in reverse

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
imo, there are three factors in your poi skill:

talent
time
advancement of the art as a whole

I am over-simplifying here - someone with enough cash to go on a playpoi retreat has an advantage, someone who has severe ADHD and keeps jumping from move to move without ever really improving his skills is at a disadvantage (not that this is my personal experience or anything >_>), etc. - but those are the basic big three as I see it.

talent is self-explanatory. honestly though, it doesn't seem to be a huge deal. anyone can learn any move if they are physically capable of doing it.

time is the biggest factor, but it comes with a twist: the longer you've been spinning poi, the further the art has been advanced, meaning the easier it will be for new people to catch up to you. so even if you've been spinning for a year, things that took you a month might take someone else a week because the art has advanced and there are more and better teachers out there. the scales are still tilted toward the person who has been playing for a year, but they will have put in more effort overall to reach the same point on average.

basically, what I'm saying is, quit playing with poi for the next two decades, then start up again and you'll be a superstar in a week.
EDITED_BY: thirteen (1305673588)

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: thirteenbasically, what I'm saying is, quit playing with poi for the next two decades, then start up again and you'll be a superstar in a week.

Nonono.... Go forward in time two decades, spend a few months learning to spin, come back to now and you will be godlike. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
I am 95% certain there are better uses for time travel.

but I will admit I am also 5% certain that is the best. idea. EVER.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

Page: