Forums > Help! > Is there any way to get the smell out?

Login/Join to Participate

RayinRedSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I've finally got my staff and im twirling again. Its wonderful! My only dilema is that my staff reaks of kerosen, and my roomate (whose on vacation right now) will not be too pleased by the aroma. Any ideas on how to reduce the odor?

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
i would suggest either gettin some fabreeze or similar bleach product an runnibg it down with a damp cloth, then if you can pollish it to hold in the smell, thats the metal however.

the wicks are a bit more tricky, an easy way would be to leave it outside, but if your one them la-de-da folk that can afford to cary it inside then either a LOT more febreeze, soak it in soapy water, but wash again thouroughly and leav eto dry with no soap, cuz it mite fork up the wix.

happy smelling, lata ubbrollsmile

never ever EVER, poke me with that thing.

just my little joke. As always.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yes there is...but it's a secret.

However...your intro thread says you're not a newbie to these arts, and you're an American,,,so I can tell you.

White gas, aka.Colemans.

A couple of burns with this stuff and your staff will be smelling fresh and clean as a daisy, say goodbye to soot too.

The...JokerMember
91 posts

Posted:
you could always use one of your 3 magic wishes..

never ever EVER, poke me with that thing.

just my little joke. As always.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Make a case for your staff with pvc tubing and end caps, this will cut down on the smell dramatically

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
or go for the dirt cheap option and wrap them in cling film or plastic bags etc. that sort of thing

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
When we do a poo, we flush it down the toilet so it dosn't smell.
If the room still smells bad after you have flushed your poo you spray with air freshener.
If the room still smells after that you warn other people in the house "I wouldn't go in there for a little while I've dropped a good'un"

Unfortuantly you can't flush a staff down the toilet.
Nor can you spray it with air freshener
Nor can you explain the nasty kero smell in your house as somebody "dropped a good'un".

In these situations it is best to wrap your wicks in plastics bags.

I wont advise you to wrap your poo in plastic bags, but you may do so if you wish.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Stop using kero. Ring up Shell or another chemical company and get a 20litre drum of Solvent D60 (or D70) or ShellSol D60 (or D70) for the same price as kero per litre. Maybe less. Less smoke, less soot, burns cooler, bright flame. Heck for 2 dollars extra you can ask them to deodorise the fuel for you, I kid you not. My D60 smells like flowers. biggrin

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
If you're using pure kerosene, not lamp oil, there's not a lot you can do. Plastic bags do cut down the smell, but I had mine in two layers of plastic bags and a lot of duct tape for the winter, and after a couple weeks the smell permiated through and stunk up the house again. Like the other kids said, the best solution is to switch fuels.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

When we do a poo, we flush it down the toilet so it dosn't smell.
If the room still smells bad after you have flushed your poo you spray with air freshener.
If the room still smells after that you warn other people in the house "I wouldn't go in there for a little while I've dropped a good'un"

Between the air freshner and the announcment of the smell, you wave a match about the place.

But I'll let that one slide, what with you not being a bloke and all.

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."