Forums > Technical Discussion > Recomend - Heavyer day use poi to buy

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im looking to buy another set of poi and I was wondering if anyone can rcomend some things.

Firstly a good place to buy from, I havnt had great experiance buying poi and most places I know Ive had issues with them or there poi.

Secondly I like my poi heavy so I can get some momentum in them and I can feel the weight as I spin, alot like my monkey fists from hop. The only reason I dont use those during the day is because there smell of parafin and get my clothes and hands full of black marks which I dont want all the time.

Oh and I am completly useless at making things so Ide rather just buy to be honest, that and im too lazy too go hunting for materials and putting them together lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Text removed.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You know, I love taking loads of time to try and figure out what someone is trying to say in a post. Especially when spelling, punctuation, grammar and easy to understand sentences are lacking... umm

Um... I'D recommend HoP as a good place to buy...? Or even tePOOKa? Or even, Firetoys or oddballs... Gayle makes lovely poi... Anyone I've missed out? Have a search around... It's also good if you say what sort of poi you're after, rather than just 'heavy day poi'. I personally hate tail poi, so would never recommend them. You've been spinning long enough, surely you must know where people tend to buy from, or even had a search around websites and added things to your wish list?

Sock poi are the the way forward, I'D say... You can have them any weight you want, and they're mighty cheap. If you have problems making your own set of sock poi, then may I ask how you managed to learn to put your shoes on and tie them all by yourself successfully without it being too much of a challenge? ubblol I have some of the stretchy sock poi from HoP, and I'D say they're the best poi I've ever used, but then, that's my opinion...

I guessing you still like tails, huh? rolleyes If you're still adamant about buying Tails, I'D suggest buy some, and if they're too light, fill the tennis balls in them with something. smile Alternatively, you can just buy sock poi... wink

*please note, this post is FULL of sarcasm... rolleyes*

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ed.. do you want to borrow this:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Im on the sock poi side.
Barie Fen makes awesome sock poi bounce

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

go hunting for materials and putting them together

you have to hunt to find a pair of socks? and as for the putting them together, you just take two objects that aren't too big and weigh the same and, put them in the socks.

As you might have seen I am on the side of sock poi.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Oooh!! A digger!! Hell yeah!! biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Actually.. pick your own

biggrin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I'd recommend going to find some cool long socks and putting some juggling balls into them.

If you..
- turn them inside out,
- put the ball inside the toe,
- twist it around a couple of times,
- turn the sock the right way out,
you'll get rid of the awkward heel area and end up with a nice straight sock.

Also, if you're using juggling balls, you can pick one that's as heavy or light, squishy or solid as you like.
I personally prefer between 110 and 125 gram balls, but they've got a lot of choice at Oddballs, going up to a 1kg ball. eek

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Leaning_Towards_Corruption

You know, I love taking loads of time to try and figure out what someone is trying to say in a post. Especially when spelling, punctuation, grammar and easy to understand sentences are lacking... umm

Um... I'D recommend HoP as a good place to buy...? Or even tePOOKa? Or even, Firetoys or oddballs... Gayle makes lovely poi... Anyone I've missed out? Have a search around... It's also good if you say what sort of poi you're after, rather than just 'heavy day poi'. I personally hate tail poi, so would never recommend them. You've been spinning long enough, surely you must know where people tend to buy from, or even had a search around websites and added things to your wish list?

Sock poi are the the way forward, I'D say... You can have them any weight you want, and they're mighty cheap. If you have problems making your own set of sock poi, then may I ask how you managed to learn to put your shoes on and tie them all by yourself successfully without it being too much of a challenge? ubblol I have some of the stretchy sock poi from HoP, and I'D say they're the best poi I've ever used, but then, that's my opinion...

I guessing you still like tails, huh? rolleyes If you're still adamant about buying Tails, I'D suggest buy some, and if they're too light, fill the tennis balls in them with something. smile Alternatively, you can just buy sock poi... wink

*please note, this post is FULL of sarcasm... rolleyes*

This might be a little too much to ask from you, but could you please stop piling on the sarcasm every 5 seconds I find it REALLY insulting. Infact that goes to everyone else too, I have no idea where all that even came from but its really tediouse.

Thanks bovril, for one of the only real posts at least there are some people on hop who dont act like 9 year olds hug

All i asked was for some recomondations fro a good online shop too buy from, and any type of poi which has some weight behind it. Ide appreciate the crap stopping

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Also, now that I've found [Old link], do you know anyone who can sew?
That thread's got a very simple pattern in, as well as a lot of good comments about cone poi, which, in my opinion, are much better than socks smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Why not buy another set of HOP monkeyfists, cover them with bright fabric secured with a rubber band, keep them exclusively for unlit practice.
Then you have no adjustment problems between sets
Expensive yes, but feel the quality of the HOP gear.
I have been disappointed with other suppliers gear
I have been using a set of monyeyfists as practice poi for 3 months, with my previous tubecores for fire.
will light up the monkeyfists soon though.
Get the leather double loop grips they are great
Jeff

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Long socks + a money bag of sand in each = heavy sock poi. However they do stretch rather long...I have ladders in those socks apparently, so something lighter then sand might be an idea.

Personally I can't stand the stretchy, springyness of the HOP socks...that and mine ended up being different lengths. However it probably depends on what suites the individual.

You could also just put socks over fire poi wicks and just use those, that's all I practiced with until Play at which point I realised the benefits of practicing with socks.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i'd suggest Bov's idea but replace the juggling balls with dried lentils which you can get from most supermarkets and health food shops, that way you can adjust the weight and its cheaper and not wasting perfectly good juggling balls.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
In a strange food related co-incidence, my cone poi are weighted with lentils.

Although they're lentils inside corderouy juggling balls that I stitched with my own fair hands smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bov... bring your nuts and bolts to Falmouth.
If its windy... I will want them smile

Sorry.
Go back about your business.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I use lentils in balloons to weight some of my sock poi. Others and my cone poi have juggling balls in. I have streetlight poi that I want to weight so they are much heavier.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
lentils in balloons to weight some of my sock poi its the way to go smile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
If you want to weight your streetlights i'd recomend getting the flowtoys casing, and then bying the flowmass that you can buy from there if you want even more weight.
all this can be found at www.flowtoys.com

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
If you want something that is as close to your regular fire heads as possible and you are using monkeyfists, check out Flamma Aeterna. I just bought a set of their practice monkey fist heads and am quite pleased with them.

https://www.flammaaeterna.com/

I am anti-sock poi so for practice these were great. They make them out of climbing rope. The green ones are a bit more heavy than the blue ones. They also have a small and a large size, so if you want even heavier, they are there. Even have weights listed on there, and they have good prices and will customize to your standards if you ask.

I was looking for a practice monkey's fist: this was the only one that fit my demanding specifications. Check em out.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Im sort of against sock poi too I do like mine but ive got two pairs so im not looking for anymore, cannot be doing with tail poi ive got one (planning on modding a second in the future) so I certainly dont need more.

Thanks for the links i8beefy2, havnt seen those before. I cant find the practise monkeyfists poi it just says coming soon but that sounds like a really good idea I'll definatly keep an eye out for them.

thankx smile

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
you should be able t make the monkey fists yourself, just go buy some climbing rope. i'd recomend making the handle out of a monkey fist a bit smaller than the other so that u can move onto contact poi (and it'll be nice)

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: i8beefy2

I am anti-sock poi

Out of interest, what in particular don't you like about sock poi?

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ya know I'm not sure... they have their place surely, but I don't like the feel (too light), the bounciness, and I think they are too easy and forgiving. I guess they just don't challenge me enough physically. Chains get all tangled and force me to be cleaner in my movements. And they weigh more, one of the reasons glowstrings never clicked with me.

I assure you that they have practice monkey fists. If the website says they don't, e-mail them. When making mine they discovered that the green rope was heavier than the blue rope, which the website didn't reflect, so perhaps they are changing some things around in their design / and or website.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: yoni

you should be able t make the monkey fists yourself, just go buy some climbing rope. i'd recomend making the handle out of a monkey fist a bit smaller than the other so that u can move onto contact poi (and it'll be nice)

Ha no, I am not the boy scout type. Was too busy playing with the girls on the playgound to be interested in the cubs and scouts ubbrollsmile so I cant do knots lol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:

Written by: i8beefy2

I am anti-sock poi

Hallo I'm uncle sock-poi ubblol ubbloco

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

EnderWigginBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Monkey knots may be hard to tie, (i know my fingers hurt after every set i've made) but you can probably handle drilling a small hole in a lacrosse ball (i thought it might be tricky drilling into rubber, but it wasn't at all).

parts
2- glow in the dark lacrosse balls- $4 each
2- 1/4" by 2" eyescrews- less than a dollar for both

just drill a small (1/8" or so) hole directly into the center and screw the eyescrew into it.

I just made them yesterday and they are a little heavier than my monkeyfist practice set, which i made the same as the normal size HoP monkeyfists. (packaging says the balls weigh 5.25 oz, which is about 150g per ball.) Also, since they have the exact same thing sticking out as the HoP monkeyfists, you should be able to just swap them out on the chains you already have and your overall length and weight should be the same as with a full load of fuel.

I was worried that the screw might come out, but i've got reasonably long chains (no buzzsaws for this guy) and i spun them as fast as I could without any problems. (I'll see what happens when i screw another eyescrew to the other side and tack on a second ball to practice for my eventuall double headed firepoi) They don't tickle if they hit ya, but thats just more incentive to quit screwing up. And anything this heavy is going to hurt anyway.

bonus- they glow in the dark...not really enough to put on a show, but enough to help get your bearings in the dark so you can warmup while your fireheads are soaking.

"You spin me right round, baby right round like a record baby, right round round round"

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well thanks guys, I am officially putting this thread to bed, ive found my poi that I want, the practise fire poi (the one made from climbing ropes). Ive also found a fantastic site that sells wonderfull constructed and cased spare LED units! Woo cheap too and great colours, fantastic for modding heres a link

https://www.flammaaeterna.com/
(LightUp Glow LED Units)

Thanks everyone who helped and gave some advise, your all stars! kiss

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Must make me Anti-Auntie sock poi then. Hi brit Jo by the way..long time no see.. I dont like sock poi much either..find them slow and achy on the fingers and wrists with no loops to hold onto. Guess i could make loops..but then they just get longer and longer the faster you spin 'em.

As for the lentil debate...if you leave them out in the rain like i always do, they go all hard and stinky, though not as badly as rice.

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Eeeeeek Jo don’t get them yes they look nice for a bit but they break so so easily I have seen a lot of spinners with them!!! seriously they are crap and will only last you a week or so of good spinning a month depending on how much you spin

I to was looking for something to emulate my fire poi when I first got into spinning there are a few options available to you

Trust me I have tried them all

(all taking into account you don’t like sox (for the life of me I cant se why by far the best way to improve your spinning))

I am assuming you want your practice poi to resemble your fire poi so you can do all the stuff you practice with your fire poi.

One important tip is to use exactly the same chains as your fire poi the chain is just a important as the head you can do this by just getting some more chain or just unclip your fire heads and replace with your practice heads.

One way I did find worked well was to weigh my soaked fire heads then get some tennis ball heads make a small slit in and push a balloon into the ball and fill (the balloon this takes time and patients) with lentils till they reach the same weight as your fire heads tie the balloon off and seal the ball up with a little contact adhesive.

A second way (one which I have recently adopted myself (pinched it from staffers) was to get some brightly coloured sox and just wrap my fire heads in them instant protection from black scuffs on the ceiling and if you put the head’s in plastic bags first no smell to smile

But I notice you seem to want glow heads humm more tricky good glow poi are hard to come by especially ones that withstand the beating of a good practice session some of the better ones I have seen have nearly always been home made.

Other alternatives are

beaming poi (nice and heavy very hard wearing but dam they are hard and will hurt you aplenty the glow is a bit pants to)
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/118_55_beaming_poi

or anything by Arotech (looks great hard wearing ish but great customer service bit expensive)
www.aerotechprojects.com

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Melemel

Must make me Anti-Auntie sock poi then. Hi brit Jo by the way..long time no see.. I dont like sock poi much either..find them slow and achy on the fingers and wrists with no loops to hold onto. Guess i could make loops..but then they just get longer and longer the faster you spin 'em.

As for the lentil debate...if you leave them out in the rain like i always do, they go all hard and stinky, though not as badly as rice.

Hi melemel, I know it has been. I seemed to remember you instantly when I saw your post, have I met you b4? I know there are a few hoppers ive lost track who ive met I never remember names after meets.

weavesmiley Decided to go for beamers actually in the end alltho I was going to buy the rope poi. It turns out that the shop wont let international buyers use cards, you have to e-mail them or phone them. Its actually very awkward and very fussy to do this way and they charge far too much for shipping I got sick of messing about trying to order them and gave up. I bought some flags and a poi spinning book (Michal Kahn's) instead. Will get beamers from hop over the next couple of months when ive got the money again

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Jo come talk to me at the next manchester meet on the 14th i will bring all the poi i have and you cane make a more imformed disision then

(god im going to need a big bag)

Page: