Forums > Videos > Glowsticking.com DVD Trailer

Login/Join to Participate

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
hi guys, havn't had a new video to share with you all for a while. here's a new one I edited right off the press! follow the link and it should load in your browser:

https://www.glowstickingdvd.com

enjoy! =) let me know what you think.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I personally think you should have one thread for all your videos instead of loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of different ones.

ubbidea

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
well, I kind of want comments and feedback on each individual video. Therefore I start a new thread for each video, so that the corresponding comments and feedbacks can go into that particular thread.

if I did not want specific comments, constructive criticisms, or feedbacks directed at each specific video... then of course it would make more sense to clump them as one thread (which i think i done before, too), but that would be more for archival purposes, don't you agree?

I much rather share my videos with you all, and get feedbacks, comments, constructive criticisms directed at that particular video.... than just have one archival thread labeled as "videos by Wes" and just have everyone go there for the purpose of download, not for discussion.

In that light, no one has anything to say about the video and the glowsticking?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Any reason why it's an embedded vid rather than a downloadable link?

This seems to be getting more common and I'm a bit perplexed as to why?

As a result, I've not managed to view it and so can't give any feedback, other than saying I think it's a bad idea when it comes to sharing vids, as it just excludes a proportion of those who might otherwise view it.

Are there any advatages to anyone, including the hoster, to preventing the vids being downloaded?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
well, I've seen the trailer (and the dvd) already and I enjoyed both very much. They both represent what GSC is about very well.

As for the boost in embedded videos lately, I would mainly give credit to that to the rapidly growing popularity of websites such as YouTube, Google Video, Myspace Video, etc, that let ANYONE upload and host their files for free, only with the catch that they're embedded. Not everyone has money to host random files all over the place so sites like this have provided an easier way for a lot of people. They also make it much easier to be viewed by vast numbers of people.

So pretty much because its free reliable hosting that can be viewed by a much larger amount of people, and seeing as how this is a trailer its a really practical kind of hosting.

I believe there IS a site that allows you to download videos off of YouTube and Google https://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

and the link to the original video on google is here https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8746381443686678580&q=glowsticking&pl=true

hope it works for you biggrin
EDITED_BY: AngeDeLumiere (1145115976)

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
In what way do they make playing easier for most people?

What could be easier than a link that enables you to download a clip to your hard drive, where you can then watch it as many times as you want without being connected to the net?

Especially for those on dial-up, for whom embedded vids of any size are not at all practical.

If people want to embed vids then that's fine, but, if they really do want to share the vid, then they'd do well to also provide a link to a proper download.

To those who post vids, be aware that I, and many others, do not bother with embedded clips.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I find it difficult to comment on a trailer, other than saying something generic like " it looks good", which it does. I'd pan it if it was released as an actual video, just because I'm not a fan of a bunch of tiny clips edited together. I can watch a video like that once, but it won't make it's way into my permenant collection.

The actual dvd on the other hand...now that's something I'm interested in, as long as I can actually see the performers and not just lights spinning around on a black background. The trailer leads me to believe I'll see bodies.

I usually don't have a problem with embedded videos, if it's one I want to watch a few more times, I simply copy it out of my temporary internet files folder, however this being one of those new fangled FLV files ( and me not bothering to download and install the player that AngeDeLumiere posted the link to ) I can't do it with this one. My motivation is to get rid of the usually white background that quite often surrounds embedded vids.

Works good with SWF and Quicktime videos though.

mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
the reasons behind using embedded video for this:

it's free reliable hosting. none of the video violates copyright law (including the music used), and can therefore take advantage of this service. for the computer illiterate, it is easier to watch embedded videos. believe it or not, there are people who find "right click and save as" confusing. i also think the video embedded here creates a nice overall presentation with the webpage that it resides in.

i do apologize for those that cannot watch the video due to its embedded format. i will continue to look for a web host to put the actual video file up online. or if anyone here is kind enough that can provide me with the hosting, i will be glad to send the file over (less than 5 megs).

stout: most, if not the all of the footage on the DVD shows enough light to see the performers' bodies. i don't like those videos that are too dark and can't see anything but floating lights either.

Cynicdave1member
36 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's a big reason why youtube.com is doing so well and getting so much press. it's not just the lack of a media player (all you need is flash, which has 90% of the browser market coverred) you need, it's the fact that for most people they want instant gratification. it also saves bandwidth by a lot when big companies are willing to host it.

in all, i guess it would be a good idea to have a downloable version for people who can't view it normally. so i guess i can upload it to our servers.

we'll post a link to cater to you guys who have the preference! sorry for the inconvnience.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Cynicdave1

Yeah, it's a big reason why youtube.com is doing so well and getting so much press. it's not just the lack of a media player (all you need is flash, which has 90% of the browser market coverred) you need, it's the fact that for most people they want instant gratification. it also saves bandwidth by a lot when big companies are willing to host it.

in all, i guess it would be a good idea to have a downloable version for people who can't view it normally. so i guess i can upload it to our servers.

we'll post a link to cater to you guys who have the preference! sorry for the inconvnience.

I don't agree that most people want instant gratification- rather that instant gratification is what tends to be doled out to them.

Certainly where poi/juggling vids are concerned, I feel that the majority would much rather download the vids to their harddrive where they can watch them whenever they want to.

As for saving bandwidth, obviously multiple streamings of a vid use far more bandwidth than a single download to hard drive- it's true that where big companies are involved, this is no big issue, I'm just pointing out that streaming vids do not save bandwidth.

I totally understand that the fact that these sites offer free vid hosting is very appealing, but am keen to not see the other issues swept under the carpet, ie

1. great inconvenience for those of us who simply want to download vids and especially for those on dial-up, who are essentially, totally excluded.

2. the 'bigger picture'- why are these companies so keen on streaming media that they offer free hosting and yet don't offer a option to download the vids?

My feeling is that there are benefits to them to do so, either now or in the future.

Till now, most vids were shared in the fullest sense of the word- enthusiasts put them up and others downloaded them.

The antics of the likes of 'RealPlayer' (and thousands of other internet based companies)who put commercial interests way above those of the users, were dealt with by people simply refusing to use their dodgy players and then putting the word out- to the extent that their business suffered and they took on board the critisisms.

When the 'streaming only' hosters have become the norm and downloadable vids are a thing of the past, I think we'll find that being locked into their proprietory viewing browsers will have considerable benefits for them in terms of enabling them to inflict unwanted advertsing on viewers, or worse (mal/spy/ad ware etc).

I would urge individuals wanting to host their own vids to reflect on these issues.

After that if you want to use the 'streaming only' hosters, then fine; personally, I won't have anything to do with them, and I'm not alone in that.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Dave, i remember you having a go at me when i put everything in flash on my site. I rember pointing out to you then that after you watch a video you can search for the file name on your c drive. Often the streamed file saved in a temp directory, you can copy this file to where ever you like.

The files i put up were never 'not downloadable' as you accused. They were infact automatically downloaded to your pc when you watched them!! What could be easier than that.

I've not checked out the systems used above but i find quite often that i can save a copy of a video file loacally.

I don't see why dialup users can't watch streamed video??? It will usually play thru badly the first time and fine the second (because it's been cached)

I agree that i wouldn't touch such hosts with a barge pole, except maybe google. Perhaps dave you have a server we can all upload videos to? Then you could simply scheduale your server to with your pc and all the videos would be delivered straight to your door.

The thing is these hosting companies offer a simple and free service. So they want to advertise some stuff, so what, just don't read it. Or even better click on all the ads (making them pay per click) and never buy anything from them, lol

BTW never use realplayer, took me ages to get rid of all the spyware on that crappy program.

laters,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.