Forums > Social Discussion > Powerbreathe Lung Trainer- Any experiences?

Login/Join to Participate

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I inadvertently stumbled across the powerbreathe product on the net just now, and am sorely tempted to get one (I'll ask for it for me B'day).

As a moderate asthmatic and aspirational choral singer the offer of better lung function and greater stamina are something of a holy grail. User reviews on other websites look good, but I wondered if any other hoppers had any more first hand experience?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
do you have a link for the product I would like to have a look at it myself...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Phew. for a horrible minute I thought this was to do with FireBreathing... eek

Is there a link for it? a piccie? My dad had something after his heart op with three chambers and some red bouncy balls that looked like fun and seemed to help him breathe better. Trained the muscles around the lungs I imagine rather than the lungs themselves...

*down boy, good lung*

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Link

Sorry, I meant to post it originally and forgot.

Out of interest I have ordered one, best price I found was £33.99 including free 7 day delivery.
EDITED_BY: Mr Chutney (1144411136)

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Looks just like the old style spacer thingy that I used to use when I was younger for my inhalers....

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Yeah I know what you're referring too, but I'm sure its omething more complex- the spacer allowed for taking drugs over a period of several breaths. This thing offers resistance to breathing, encouraging and strengthing the inahlatory muscles.

I'm excited about mine biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
you could try holding your hand over your mouth while breathing in. Or hang on I''ll put my hand over your mouth and you can pay me the... oh never mind.
Good luck, hope it works!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hey, any chance you could keep us posted on how it works? I've been thinking about getting one, but can't afford to waste £35 at the mo!

smile

Edit:

I notice they sell them in Argos too, at a vastly inflated price!
EDITED_BY: Bird (1144438453)

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I used to take in a complete breath, then once you're 'holding it,' take in 2 more quick breaths and hold for 10 to 20 seconds. It's good for increasing lung capacity and building up the muscles around the lungs.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Without being the least bit facetious...

Try aerobic exercise. That's the best trainer.

And if you're a moderate asthma stay on your controller medication.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ive been looking at getting one of these, to increase the time i can hold my breath for underwater escapes.

i dont want to say you paid too much, but clickyclick

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Baaaaaah- its all good- the powerbreathe is a UK invention, and I'm happy to have what seems to be the device that other imitate smile

Mike- Yes, I know about doing aerobic excercise, and of course I will continue to take my medication smile Having read up quite a way on it though, it does seem to offer benefits beyond those from just aerobic excercise, plus it can be done in less time and a more convienient way. My main asthma trigger is a fast burst of aerobic excercise (running for example) which leaves me very breathless and my chest burning, as you would get in the beginnings of an Asthma attack. My hope is that this device will allow my breathing stamina to improve enough that I may then b e able to start running or swimming an improve my overall fitness further.

Oh and Bird: of course I will smile

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Cheers!

Reading that, it looks like your problems are almost identical to mine! (maybe an allergy to extreme physical exersion? ubblol )

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Speaking of fire breathing... I've been wanting to work on increasing my lung capacity so that I can pull off longer sustained breaths. I wonder if this could help do that as well? Keep us posted.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me