Forums > Social Chat > Australian (Kanga)Roos... ev'rything cool?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well guys - this is for the Aussies:

Years ago there was a great concern about Roos getting blind, another was that the virus (that was invented to kill the rabbits) jumped to the roos and there was a massive number killed...

Now there are companies who start to use roo-leather for some sneakers and stuff... :eeks:

It brings back the question to my mind: How are the (Kanga)roos doing in Australia? Everything allright?

I strongly hope so, as they are amongst THE most adorable and sweet creatures (especially the (rock) wallabies)

Anyone?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure they're doing alright. I haven't spoken to one in a while though wink

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
In the outback Australia they are a MENACE!!!!

They are freakin everywhere, trust me it will be a long time before they are on the endangered list....

Not that I approve of culling them but seriously no need to fret too much about them....

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
And unfortunately they're not so good at dodging cars frown (I haven't hit one yet, but I know plenty of people who have)

I wouldn't say there were adorable and sweet though, I personally think they look quite stupid.

Seriously though, like Medusa said. They're everywhere, no need to stress. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
roar, you know there must be a movie were some girl had bodypainted your avatar on her backside - I just remember that scene, unfortunately not the title of the flick... but it looked awesome... wink

However: Anyone saying that Roos are NOT adorable has never cuddled a rock-wallaby! So I reckon I can forgive you on that one... smile

Reasons for Roos becoming such a strong population might be the ammount of water found with cattle/ at farms, for Roos becoming a traffic hazard might be the fresh green grass next to the highways (due to condensed water running from the concrete in the morning)... shrug

I'm not stressing, just remembered those concerns from my time down under.. blindness and rabbit-killing-virus... and the farmers who shot them because they were so concerned that Roos might suck up all the water that is dedicated to the cattle...

You sure it improved? So it's OK now to hunt or breed them for leather and sausages? umm wink

But if you say that they are "everywhere" I must come back to OZ - reminds me of India and the cows who are literally EVERYWHERE - I want to see Roos jumping across Darling Harbour and Sydney Parks biggrin

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
You're right, I have never cuddled a rock-wallaby or a kangroo and I don't intend to ever touch one.

And you're also right about them being traffic hazards, sadly, I count at least 10 on the side of the road whenever I drive to Melbourne frown

And no it's not OK to hunt them for leather and sausages.

Although it does remind me about what one of the guys at work said the other week. (I'm a pizza delivery girl. We have our little cars with the shop logo on it but I drive my own car (cause i'm only auto licensed)

One of the guys was giving me instructions to a house that was past some paddocks/bush:

Boss:"And if you hit a kangaroo, I don't wanna know"

"Nah, she's in her own car, not the Riviera cars so she can hit whatever she wants"

Boss: "Oh well, in that case, if you hit a kangaroo, take photos for me

...and maybe bring it back and we can have kangaroo pizza for a week"

Unfortunately most aussies have attitudes similar to above towards kangaroos..they can be a bit of a pest.

I still laughed though! ubbangel

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Roo leather is extremely good as it is so tough yet flexible. I think its adidas that has skippy leather shoes.

Many roos such as the red and grey are prolific breeders. They can many pregnancies and feeding babes at one time. Three I think.
Some of the other smaller roos are endangered like the Tasmanian Pademelon Banded Hare-wallaby and the Prosperpine Rock-wallaby. Many of these populations are isolated and endangered.

Roos is a very huge term....I hadnt head of the Colesie (sp) virus crossing over. Thats is a bit scary if it is.

At this point the Reds and the Greys are very safe.

Coles here (like tescoes) sells roo meat cheaper than beef and it tastes better and much less fat too.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Coles sells kangaroo?! eek I didn't know that.

I'm not a vegetarian but the thought of eating kangaroo just makes me feel sick...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
roos are cows that jump, but not as friendly(ever seen a roo fight? ouch)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Go outside any city anywhere in Australia and I can guarantee you'll see them splattered across the road. Any creature where you can see at least 30 corpses on a two-hour journey is a very long way from being endangered.

Incedentaly, 'roos do not cause the damage to the fragile topsoil that hooved animals do, neither do they need special husbandry to keep them alive, we need to encourage people to use their meat and skin to prevent the large scale damage presently being done by non-native animals.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

razzaSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
bloody roos their everywhere in the bush and outback
LOL
when their was the christmas bushfires word spread roudn the world about it and in i news paper they said that kangeroos we jumping across the harbour bridge LOL LOL they also thing that we ride them to work LOL

Horsepower is how fast u hit a tree. Tourqe is how far the tree goes with u

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Riding a roo to work? Nice picture, but I guess you'd have to take a big red one then...

@eera: not sure what you mean with this one:

Written by:

we need to encourage people to use their meat and skin to prevent the large scale damage presently being done by non-native animals.

Are you talking about Roos, or cows and water buffalos? But "only because you see 'em dead everywhere", doesn`t mean they are endangered? That sounds funny umm

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i suspect her point was is that kangaroos do not cause nearly as much impact to the land as say cows (not just the hooves damaging topsoil, but also the feedstock requirements, waste, water etc - the entire life cycle) - wheras kangaroos have evolved with the land.

if using kangaroo for food and leather gains more popularity relative to the cattle industy, it theoretically could aid other parts of the environment.

sure some species of kangaroo are endangered - usually some rare type with a name like "rare-black-spotted-white-striped-short-paw-wedged-ear-earls-creek-rainforest-grey-rock-wallaby" type thing

there definitely is a bit of a side arguement as to whether its justified to kills animals which are generally in abuntant population, if theres the risk that a rarer endangered 7th cousin 8 times removed but inadvertently be eaten.

but overall theres stacks of kangaroos waiting to dent my car, waiting to be eaten and made into tasteful leather ornaments.

Written by:

for Roos becoming a traffic hazard might be the fresh green grass next to the highways (due to condensed water running from the concrete in the morning)...

ubblol not really sure about that mate...

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Wabballys and Roo's are entirely differant species...

and roos... cute, yes. sweet? no. well... ones in recreation parks can be, but only cuz they want you to feed them...

but they're definately not endangered... i don't think they ever were, they're pretty rampant... i saw one in a feild near my house on my way to school one day a few years back... in the middle of salisbury... that was just silly.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
 Written by: firetom

However: Anyone saying that Roos are NOT adorable has never cuddled a rock-wallaby! So I reckon I can forgive you on that one...

Go cuddle an 8 foot red male 'roo.

When you get yourself stitched back together, tell us how it went.

Wild 'roos, contrary to belief, aren't the cute cuddly little joeys that people see in petting zoos. They're dirty, smelly, violent, aggressive creatures.

Written by: Firetom

Reasons for Roos becoming such a strong population might be the ammount of water found with cattle/ at farms, for Roos becoming a traffic hazard might be the fresh green grass next to the highways (due to condensed water running from the concrete in the morning)...

I think the main reason they get hit so much by cars is because they see the headlights and go 'ooooh, bright light' and stop and stare at it. This is the principle of roo shooting. You shine a really bright light around, and when a roo sees it, it stops and stares at it. Then i gets shot and falls over. A bit like rabbits, methinks...

Not aving a go at you, but i reckon that roos are a pest. Just like canadians may well think mooses..meese..moosii...moose plural are pests.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
MiG... well if you want to refer to some creature as a PEST, than certainly you might consider the cute little rabbit bunnies, foxes, cattle, and the cute little pussycats, introduced to Australia by the smart white people... When thinking it over twice, one might even come to the conclusion that the ONLY TRUE PEST on this planet is... well... mankind shrug

Certainly a big red is nothing to be cuddled, but maybe if looking at a 300 pound 9ft koala bear one might also get a different reaction, than from the lifesize we have now... same applies to cats - the regular domestic cat is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute, but the smelly, violent tiger and lion is not really anywhere close... or is it? umm

A 30cm rock wallaby is certainly one of the cutest creatures alive, as is a "joey" (baby kangaroo)... to me shrug

No worries, I am not taking this one personal and hope you are neither hug smile

One might have an opinion on roos (as some farmers might have on indigenous people), but classifying some creature as a "pest" (besides horseflies)... well ... is a little arrogant wink IMHO smile

Personally (not regarding the smell, violence, etc) I reckon Roos are cute animals - the way they are proceeding through nature.... errm bouncing... that is just cute to me... can't help it... shrug

Anyone disagree?

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1144498742)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

However: Anyone saying that Roos are NOT adorable has never cuddled a rock-wallaby! So I reckon I can forgive you on that one... smile

I fed one. I also fed a full-sized roo. Smart bugger, she was. Completely ignored the cereal in my hand and went right for the bag that I had behind my back.

Fast, too. ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my family came over on the same boat that brought the first rabbits to autralia. the same ship was later scuttled in the harbour of Geelong with an enourmous amount of wool on it because it was on fire. See - Geelong isn't such a hole after all! *coughcough*

but that ueless crap aide:

there are pleanty of things around that will show that humans are actually a virus.

Koalas aren't "bears" and they get violent when it's suggested wink

and i think them being called "pests" is actually based on certain statistics in some cases and isnt just certain farmers labelling them as such. I remember the culling of them at Pukapunyal a few years ago, - the kangaroo population there had seriously gotten out of control. Many people agreed that they needed to be culled, just thought that the meat and skin should be used, rather than thrown away.

i think that sometimes they can be cute...or maybe thats just because i'm used to taking japanese stuents to see them and their exciteent rubs off onto me!

so i'm joining the rest of the aussies here and saying, don't frett! don't worry! they aren't going anywhere soon!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
The roo fillets we had lightly spiced and grilled to rare perfection on the BBQ last night were pretty good!

Although I much prefer emu. Couldn't get any though.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Having roo stir-fry later this week. Mmmmm!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I have to say I'm not a fan of roo meat. I don't particularly like the flavour.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
emu is too tough, and way to hard to come by. roo burgers are the best. oh and crocodile steaks, surpirsingly they've got white meat and really do taste like the best chicken you'll ever eat! i'd advise anyone who ever gets the chance, eat a croc burger!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
There is a pie shop in Avoca (western victoria) with a zillion different types of pie, including a lot from native animals. Next time i'm there i'll give the croc a try!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
We have gathered informations that in some areas the African elephant came back in such a swing that it threatened some villages and farms - therefore became a threat. Horse meat-cravers are commonly found in some places (and horses are far from extinction too)...

Ach and I forgot to mention shark(fins)... sharks are not only very common in the worlds oceans, their fins boost some kind of energy (can't recall which one right now)... Fortunately in the meantime people found out that not only the fins, but also the skin of the sharks can be quite profitable - and the sharks benefit in a way that they get killed and not only thrown back into the ocean with their fins cut off... Besides, shark steak is delicious...

Elephant poaching

Written by:

To a farmer, an elephant can be an irritating five-ton garden pest -- or an active danger to his life. If a hungry beast destroys the season's crop, the culprit (or sometimes just the nearest elephant, guilty or not) may be hunted down and forced to pay the price of the damage with its life.

rolleyes

The fact that my djembe has a roo-skin is certainly turning me into a hippocrate - if I'd be opposing the commercial use of Kangaroos... and by the way: did you know that rumors go they had made lampshades from human skin (displaying tattoos) of concentration camp victims? eek With modern tribals and all those artsy tatts some REALLY fancy lampshades would be produceable...

Now I do not really want to imply anything with this post here, but I am finding that it certainly depends greatly on media backup/ support, WHICH species is considered a PEST and which is not.. determining whether or not it's allright to shoot or kill it another way.

Info on invasive species in Australia

Of course cute Rabbits

Australian Govt info on Kangaroos

Written by: Oz gov't

Commercial harvesting of Kangaroos in Australia Whereas kangaroo harvesting has in the past been approved primarily for damage mitigation, there is an increasing recognition of additional potential benefits to be had from focussing more directly on kangaroos as a sustainable, renewable resource (Grigg et al. 1995). This chapter will explore some of the issues that this raises.

The contrasts between the two motivations for approving a harvest of kangaroos and between the consequent management actions are stark; if the aim is pest control, then quotas should be set high in order to bring numbers down. If the aim is to have a sustainable industry, then quotas should be set so as to maximise the harvest, and that implies an acceptance that kangaroo numbers will remain high. However, neither of these scenarios is acceptable across the board. Graziers would like to see kangaroo numbers lower, some conservation bodies support a sustainable industry, while others would be with the animal rights organisations which campaign for no kangaroos to be shot at all.

If humans (and especially governments) use the term "harvesting" when it comes to the animal kingdom, I get shivers... wonder why... confused can anyone help me?

And just now I stumble across this one:

Cats in Australia

Written by:

The feral cat is found in most habitats across Australia. It has caused the extinction of some species on islands and is thought to have contributed to the disappearance of many ground-dwelling birds and mammals on the mainland. On islands, feral cat control is feasible, but elsewhere management is difficult due to the lack of effective and humane broadscale control techniques, and the presence of domestic cats. (...)

There is clear evidence that feral cats have had a heavy impact on island fauna. On Macquarie Island, for example, feral cats caused the extinction of a subspecies of the red-fronted parakeet. On the mainland, they have probably contributed to the extinction of many small to medium sized mammals and ground-nesting birds in the arid zone, and seriously affected bilby, mala and numbat populations. In some instances, feral cats have directly threatened the success of recovery programs for endangered species.

Feral cats carry infectious diseases such as toxoplasmosis and sarcosporidiosis, which can be transmitted to native animals, domestic livestock and humans. If rabies were to be accidentally introduced into Australia, there is a high risk that feral cats would act as carriers of the disease.

Anyone ever tasted "Cat-BBQ"? If not - why? Would there be any other condition/ rule applying to cats than to roos? If so - why?

*Come here - pus pus pus - come here kitty kitty kitty*

Just asking... devil

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
:eeks: double post.... Oh well, but this had to be done rolleyes

"Only when the last tree has been cut down
Only when the last river has been poisoned
Only when the last fish has been caught
only then will you realize money cannot be eaten
--Cree Indian Prophecy"

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I love that prophecy. something more peopleshould understand, and something i wish i was able to realise more. i hate my dependence on money.

some cultures eat cats, and dogs as well. but as far as they are concerned, it's eating something we domesticate - a house hold pet. I won't eat duck meat for that very reason - i used to have a pet one. If I had a pet roo, i would likely feel the same.

The farmers killing elephants is a harder one, because i think it's a cultural thing. We can frown on it as westerners with our animal rights beliefs and our government that will support us. but to a third world farmer whose entire livelihood depends on his farm, well, it's much harder to judge.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Yet again Detrassi acts as my translator...

That was my point; paws don't break up the surface as much as hooves, plus a roo will survive a drought much more easily (important right now).

In my experience 'roos are a particular hazard on the road as they like to come out right at that point at dusk when your lights don't do any good; grey 'roo, grey road, neither of the parties has particular fun. They also do tend to go for the water in the ditches at the side of the road following rain.

I simply will not travel at dusk unless I really have to, and when I do I get behind a road train and don't overtake (for the uninformed, a road train is a dirty great truck pulling about 3 trailers, everything up to and including Toyotas bounce off them without the driver being aware).

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
as a side note, on of my fire friends in Sydney, has the ulitmate australian job, being a Kangaroo Management Officer for National Parks. At present his job seems to involve tranquilising any male kangaroo they find, and measuring the size of its testicles as a indicator of fertility. no, im deadly serious. their current record is a 70kg room with 70mm diameter testicles.
just thought youd all like to know that biggrin

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Certainly I acknowledge the fact that Roos are a hazard in some respects... as in traffic for say...

Higways in Germany are mostly fenced as to keep wildlife and stock off the road... I understand that in a country like Australia - with large distances, it`s difficult to fence highways... and only unless "enough" people have died due to this, protection will not go in effect... Besides a bullet is much cheaper and effective than a fence... isn`t it?

To encourage and create demand for the commercial use of animal products is not in my fancy... to me this is killing the devil with the demon.... Encouraging farmers to turn from livestock to growing plants would be a good plan, I reckon.

Growing something requires more effort than just having to herd something up... (Yes I know it`s not THAT simple rolleyes ) But the large ammount of livestock in Australia (IMHO) is not deriving from people being lazy, yet due to the lack of workforce (and money to pay them)... Anyways would the soil not also suffer from usage of fertilizers?... shrug it seems to be a merry-go-round...

However - Roos and Wallabies an entirely different species? umm shrug Dunno, maybe they are - I`m no biologist. To me Wallabies always appeared as "miniature roos"... as there are tiny bears too - belonging to the same family. They look very much alike and they share the same breeding procedures... wouldn't you agree that they are the same family?

And NOT to eat an animal because its domestication... Chicken and cows are classified as such animals too - but we eat them, no problem. Dogs and cats we don`t and with horses many have a big problem... Anyone having an aquarium? Still eat fish? Birdcage? Poultry?

I really wonder why I personally would never eat cats and dogs... funny thought... Because I cuddled their cousins at some stage? Hmm...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
as for the birdcage part: i don't eat quail for the same reason as i don't eat duck! had some pet ones!

but the thing about australia - a hell of a lot of it isnt suitable for plant farming!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

However - Roos and Wallabies an entirely different species? umm shrug Dunno, maybe they are - I`m no biologist. To me Wallabies always appeared as "miniature roos"... as there are tiny bears too - belonging to the same family. They look very much alike and they share the same breeding procedures... wouldn't you agree that they are the same family?

Different species yes, different family no.

They're both part of the Macropod family, the members of that family are split into a number of different Genera (some wallabies are in the same Genus as kangaroos) but the species distinguishes between them further.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Page: