Forums > Social Discussion > Help us save Tara, Ireland

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Tara - the setting for the Irish invasion last year - is under threat! frown mad frown

(The below is copied from an email from Kat. Thanks for the heads up on this hug )

Tara, one of the most important sacred sites in Ireland is under threat due to the Irish government's plan to build a Motorway across it!

For more infomation

Click Here

Though it seems futile as the government seem to do what they want regardless, please sign the online petition to try and stop yet another motorway and moneymaking initiative destroying Irish heritage

Sign the petition here...

Please, please, please take the time to sign this petition.

It will be a very sad day if the motorway plans go ahead.... evil moneymaking censored mad

You can see just how beautiful Tara is, by checking out the video which can be found on this website

grouphug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
not across it, thankfully... just right next to it, which is bad enough so I'll still sign, but at least even if they do it the hill will still be okay. Phew.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Signed

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ditto biggrin

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Signed smile

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hug

your a star hellz

its so sad

its sadder again that this kind of stuff is happening way more than anyone will admit. Tara is lucky that it is so high profile... there are many sites in ireland that are just as special that have simply been bulldozed over...

frown

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
like the 99% of all it's trees frown

Signed! Sig no 10102! If only I was slightly earlier I'd have ahad a realyl cool binary sig biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Signed too biggrin

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
signed #10110 (not quite as cool as 10101, but still...)

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Im in, after seeing this place last year, it would be such a shame to lose it smile

Thanks again to those who I got to share this place with....

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

like the 99% of all it's trees frown

Signed! Sig no 10102! If only I was slightly earlier I'd have ahad a realyl cool binary sig biggrin

I cant remember many trees there. wink

Such a major site cant be let to be dozed at all . Archaeology in Ireland is mostly rescue stuff from work like this where they push something over then have to madly find whats there.
Roads dont have to be straight surely. Go around the monument.

Plus isnt there a major highly to Dublin nearby anyway. confused

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
signed!

... *grumbles* I violently dislike politicians who favour progression without any regards for culture and history... and beautiful places... mad2

ireann go Brách!

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Sunbird

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

astar2member
37 posts

Posted:
I signed it, and in all honesty if I am financially secure enough when/if this petition fails and they decide to put a highway through anyways, I hope I will be able to travel to ireland and take direct protest action.

This type of thing makes me deeply sad. Reminds me of the oka crisis in montreal.

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Signed
Good luck I hope it helps them to decide to use an alternate route wink hug

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
Signed. Never been there, shame on me, I'm fond of this kind of sites and I used to live in Dundalk.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Whoops, think I somehow managed to sign it twice, but hey, signed it at least smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

yuhuumember
74 posts

Posted:
signed it too !!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Signed, never been there, but I hope it will be there when I finally get to visit Ireland.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Hoax site.

How can umprotected(SSL/TLS) site with

NAME, E-MAIL, COUNTRY, COMMENT grant what?

Spammers got you. I think Kat got mail, than repost it to another 10 people including Helz Bellz. Stop it.

take care,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hi richee

I dont think its a hoax site....

https://www.petitiononline.com/privacy-pets.html

https://www.petitiononline.com/petition_FAQ.html

Written by:

A valid email address is required as part of each petition signature. This email address is used to privately confirm signatures. It is not added to any mailing list at PetitionOnline.com, and it is not sold to third partie

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Non believer!!!

spank

wink

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
signed
biggrin

... the last update was June 2005 tho...

anyone know what has happened since then?

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermm.

As far as I remember, planning has gone ahead and the motorway will be built anyway... frown

But a few friends of ours are trying to do more things on the hill, to raise the profile and to show that the site is still very much alive and in use. Many different communities use that space from time to time throughout the year... they just need to be drawn together.

The 'invasion' last year was a great example of how the energies of that place are still very real...

Take care x

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
https://www.druidnetwork.org/sacredsites/tara/index.html

Love is the law.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, this battle has already been fought, and lost. On March 15th the Supreme Court ruled in favour of the developers, and made one individual, Vincent Salafia, who had led the protests, liable for €600,000 in legal costs.

Sometimes this country really saddens me.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
frown

Yep yep... but some people (like Johnny) are still trying to keep Tara in people's minds... it may not change anything, but doing nothing at all certainly won't.

Getting to the other side smile

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sunbird

Signed

There are plans for one next to a place near to my heart, stonehenge, well, this time it's not over or alongside, it's UNDERNEATH! they want to put a tunnel there:

https://www.savestonehenge.org.uk/

i'm sure i remember a thread about this somewhere, but i'm going to ask this question anyway....

asn't this a good thing? isn't it supposed to stop roawds being built up to it? i though the idea was that they could have the road there, and yet when you're actually at stonehenge you're actually out in the middle of nowhere? that's kind of the impression i got.

i think it would be amazing to be able to visit and just see fields for miles around. smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey

I was up with the Tara protesters yesterday and the battle may have been lost in the High Courts but they're not giving up. Rob, Debbie and the rest have been living there since last June, they want us to try to organise a massive fire gathering on the first of May so I'll pass their number on to Brian in DIT who organises everything in Dublin now. If the fire gathering goes ahead I'll ask him to put up a post here. On a seperate not the problem isn't only with the actual hill of Tara, the problem is that the whole Boyne Valley will be distroyed by the motorway. The Boyne Valley has over 150 sites including graves dating back from the stone age, the actual hill is just the most famous one. While up with the Tara protesters Debbie (she's really the one to talk to about this) took me around sites all day, believe me this is about more than a hill.

Anyway, I'm up with the protesters regularly so I'll keep you all informed.

Mairead.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
 Written by: french23

Hey

... they want us to try to organise a massive fire gathering on the first of May...

I know that's Bealtaine and all, but why oh why do the Tara protestors always have events such as this midweek confused I would love to go to this, but yet again, I can't because I have a job to go to...

Keep us posted about whether or not this is going ahead. I can at least tell other people about it, if not join in myself hug

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
It's the way things work.

Someone wants to make money building motorways (it's one of those really profitable construction businesses, like rebuilding countries you just bombed), and it's dead easy to get governments to agree to it with a little bit of lobbying, constructive fudging of road usage statistics (who collects them? probably the people who make/maintain the roads), or plain old bribery. It's tax money, so it's easy to spend, as people can't exactly refuse to give it to you. So you end up with a big 6 lane motorway that will spend most of the time having less cars on it than the average 2 lane road.

What's the point in building huge roads? Are politicians completely out of their minds, or just thinking about the perks of the job and their campaign contributions? Don't they realise that in 50 years these huge roads may be worthless, as there won't be oil to fuel the cars to use them? Why can't they put the money into building better public transport, and renewable energy sources, that'll be much more use in the long run?

There's no point having a protest if no-one knows about it (this is the first I've heard, and I read a fair bit about this kind of thing). There need to be people involved whose job is to publicise it, and get it into the media. If commercial media won't accept the story then you just have to go through independant channels.

This summer I'm going round festivals such as Big Green as part of the FloatingLotus solar powered cinema. If there was a documentary film about this I'd be playing it, and handing out copies of the film for the other cinemas to play.

Get some footage together with some great shots of the area and all it's little features, some interviews with locals, and people who have been to events, or are at the site at the moment, and don't forget to get some interviews with councillors, politicians or whatever. If things go all wrong and the road is built, you'll have a film that says 'This was a beautiful place, until these people did this to it'. It's not much, but it makes it that little bit harder for them to do it again.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Page: