Forums > Social Chat > poi spinning book kicks ASS!!

Login/Join to Participate

poirob2member
43 posts

Posted:
My good lady was kind enough to purchase "Poi spinning" by michal khan for me 4Xmas , and its bloodly fantastic! Has anyone else out there got their mits on a copy, and what do they think? Also the author runs some courses down in London, and I'd really like to go on one, but I've never been to the capital, so any info on cheap ass accomadation would be really helpful

Is this were Im supposed to write something interesting.....errmm.........AVOCARDO!!!!!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes, I have a copy of it.
I think, that depending on what level you are at, yes it is a good book. There were many things I did not agree with but overall, for learning the basics it is good. I applaud Michal and Judy (I think that is the name of the illustrator??) for their time consuming efforts.

My first complaint is that the moves were broken down into beginner, intermediate and advanced. I do not think this was needed or appropriate. All she needed to do was lead one into the other. Start with the basics and build. Labels weren't needed, especially because some people have problems learning a "basic" move but can breeze through an "advanced" move, and this can be quite frustrating on the psyche.

I like the parts about getting untangled and about hitting oneself. I think it was a good beginning to perplexing problems which tend to plague us all at some time or another.

I liked the illustrations, though found the ones of the robots to be a bit much, as the point seemed to be lost in the cutesy-ness of the robot. I like the illustrations of the person doing the moves better. They seemed to more completely illustrate what the author was trying to explain.

I think the promise of "450 tips, tricks and moves" to be an exaggeration.

I am very disappointed at the fire safety section and advise anyone who reads that section to look up the info for yourself because there were some inacurracies, especially concerning the safety of US Kerosene vs Lamp Oil. I also found the statement that wool burns easily to be amazingly incorrect (no fuzzy nap anything when spinning). Also the suggestion to walk into a venue and place sand on the floor to me is not a strong one to make. Most places would not allow that at all, here is why: The sand is an abrassive and will scratch the floor surface. It is very hard to clean up. It is slippery on wood or other smoothe surface floors. Sand is not overly absorbant for on a floor. I used a wool rug, and it works fine and has never gone in flames despite having fuel all over it, not even the fringe on it. These are just a few of the reasons why I did not like the fire safety section.

The section on choreography was a nice addition, very clean and concise.

The reference guide could have been more full, but those are a good list to start with.

The wording was about as easy as you can get when trying to break down such multi-dimensional movements on a two dimensional platform, though the names of moves, as always, are an issue. But, sadly there is no getting around this as there are as many names for moves as there are spinners out there. In terms of this she did a nice job.

Overall, if you are embarking on your journey of learning poi, then this book is good. It helps to break down the basics in a portable medium, which I feel is the most important aspect. I think this in conjunction with the Art of Poi video would have anyone well on their way relatively quickly into the world of spinning.

For those who have been doing this awhile, I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, it is an interesting read to see how others break the moves down but I feel there is nothing in there that you can not find in the lessons on this site.
If you can do a waist wrap and behind the back weave, then this book is most likely not for you.

[ 18. January 2003, 06:40: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
well done princess, squash the girl\boy with so much joy in their hearts for poi and this wonderful? book. nice reveiw but.

poirob2member
43 posts

Posted:
Oh well, I like it. Having never even worked in the wall planes b4, (spinning is non exsistant where I am, and everything I knew upto getting this book was self taught), it really opened doors in terms of what i thought was possible with poi.

Is this were Im supposed to write something interesting.....errmm.........AVOCARDO!!!!!!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Picked it up at the poi workshop before Christmas... Michal and a few others were down selling copies. Despite my dubious initial impression about how it would turn out, I'm actually quite impressed.

The beginning section is very thorough and covers getting you to be able to spin your poi not just through a few basic moves but in different places around your body as well, something that I think a lot of people learning miss out on... I know I still need to practise some of the basics here

The intermediate section covers a fair bit of ground as well and gets more into combination moves and things like changing moves in order to come up with new moves, which I like rather than just teaching a set group of moves.

The advanced section is fairly skimpy to be honest, and seems a little rushed. Apart from BTB waist wraps there wasn't really anything here that interested me.

I agree with Pele about the illustrations... the ones with the girl are actually pretty useful for seeing exactly how a move goes, even with some of the more complicated moves.

Overall though I think it's great for people learning poi, and would recommend it, especially for people that don't really have anyone else to learn with or from.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey PresGWB, opinions were asked for and I gave mine. No harm there, and no squashing...I said it was good for beginners. Sheesh!

While we are on the reviewing books topic,

The club swinging book available from here is also pretty decent for beginners, and since clubs are swung in a way similar to poi, it can also be helpful. My only real complaint about the book is the description, or truthfully, lack there-of, about the snake. By relying completely on pictures to illustrate the mechanics of the move, it actually confused me more. Other than that, it is also an excellent resource for beginners.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
To start out: I was thoroughly impressed and pleased with the book! It was friendly towards new learners but not condescending, and the illustrations were fantastic! It's also good to see a book finally written about the art that appeals to beginners and old-timers alike.

Not to toot my own horn, but I could do every move in the book before I bought it. What I was searching for, and found, was a helpful guide to assist the way I teach others how to spin.

My only gripe would have been the placement of certain moves across the different "levels" of difficulty. I don't really consider a split-time butterfly all that difficult, especially for a newbie, but some of the stuff it leads into can be harder.

I think with the book's layout (moves, background moves necessary to learn first, etc) it would be EXCELLENT on a CD-ROM or something

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I've had thumb through, and I'm really impressed by this book. I thought it was first rate, an excellent production.

Not only is it comprehensive, to the extent of compendium, but it's well illustrated and is just jam packed with great moves and ideas. The names are different, but for me, that opened up another way to looking at things

I'd recommend this book highly, it's really well done. A great resource

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
The Illustrator is our very own Glass's sister, isnt she talented.
bun.. email michal, shes a lovly person and very experienced. she might be able to hook you up with some where to crash, its london and full of jugglers and never short of floor space some where.
i'd like to make a trip to at least one of the nights just to see how things are.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I think this book is the best learning tool on the market, it is SO comprehensive.

I particularly enjoyed the section on choreography, great tips Michal!

Who did you get such good advice from?

On a different note, apologies for not being around for a while i am currently following the white rabbit...

Played in 2000 seater amphitheatre in Wembley, London recently, have new show with two other dancers/acrobat/stuntmen. 7minutes of fire, poi, glow, angle grinding, breathing, staff, human catherine wheels etc. Loads of indoor pyros fired in sync with our choreography by 2 guys from Englands leading firework company watching backstage on a monitor too! The audience LOVED it (almost as much as me) Yeehaaa!

Anyway...

Now...

Simply go to the HOP shop and buy the book, it's the business, it's the best, it's the bomb!

Having learned loads of stuff from it you will smile as you realise what a good idea it was to buy it.

Axis

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
ooh, where can i get a copy! quickly quickly tell me tell me TELL ME!!!!!!!!
please

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
You can find it here

Frazzlemember
105 posts

Posted:
I like the book!As I have no one else to spin with I've found it has helped to perfect tricks I already knew as well as teach me some new stuff. The only complaint I have is the catergorisation of tricks into Basic,Intermediate and Advanced,and in which the order they are placed - putting the backwards weave/fountain before the Butterfly seemed a little strange to me and may lead to confusion in those who are completely new to poi.

Happiness is a journey,not a destination

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
PK, I really like the illustrations, you say they were done by Glass's sister; talented family.

I think grading tricks really depends on your background and style. Personally, I find that split-time, alternating, butterfly thingy; friggen difficult.

I don't think anyone would ever regret owing this book

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i think the man himself was apart of the shinanagans too. i remember his being quity busy not so long back with book
anyway i will get my self a copy soon enough, as soon as i have money.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I'll say it again, i can't recomend this book highly enough!