Forums > Social Chat > Guitar tabs....evil writings, of the fire-less sort

Login/Join to Participate

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:

stupid tabs.....
does anyone know how to read tabs so that they can teach me???
i'm an idiot....
and info on, "Slides, Hammer-ons, and bends,...ect.
would be appreciated...

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
It's a little hard to explain over a bulletin message, but my friend tells me that the site below is pretty good....

https://www.guitartips.com.au/subpages/howtoread.htm

If this one isnt okay, then type 'How to read Guitar Tabs' into a search command and there are four or five good sites that give you online lessons...

Happy music making!

Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

536 posts

Posted:
thank you....but i know about that site what i ment was....
the little symbols like....
s,v,/,~....
and what they mean.....
and how to read stuff like this....
--5----(9)--3|
--7----~~5--4|
--8~9----(0)-|
--8~9----(9)-|
--b6PO-------|
--9~9~0------

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

536 posts

Posted:
that was all lined up the last time i wrote it....

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
a guitar tab is simple, it just represents the finger board of your guitar. Its like reading music, only easier - each line represents a string and the number gives the tab number, 0 being an open string. The top line represents the highest note string on your guitar (can't remember what that is on a normal as i play bass).

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
When you see an s, or slide, that means for example(8~9), instead of picking up your finger, you drag it from the 8th fret to the 9th fret. That's a slide.

a hammer on is when you leave one finger on one string then hit another string simultaneously and keep your finger there, "hammering" the note..

a pull off is usually in conjunction with a hammer on and is when you "pull" the finger off of the string, usually leaving the other finger on the note.

a bend is when you "bend" the string with the finger (or multiple fingers if it's an entire chord you need to bend. just move the strings up and down while playing the chord or note.

I hope that helps! Tablatures can be a pain to decipher! God luck and happy playing to you!

[ 07. January 2003, 13:55: Message edited by: dulce flames ]

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
Guitar tab is easy once you understand the symbols. Here's a quick list of the most common ones. I'm going to assume you know the guitar techniques I mention

Hammer on/Pull off

D chord with hammer on 1st string

h p
-2-3-2-
-3------
-2------
-0------
--------
--------

Sometimes this is written as 2h3p2.

Implied note
This is anything like (9), anything in brackets is an implied note. These aren't usually struck, but sounded by fingering the note hard, or coming down from a bend etc.

Slide
Looks like this:

---------
---------
---5/7--
---------

There are loads more but I'm not gonna list them all here. Get your hands on an actual tab book, most have notation legends in the back. Tabs from the net tend to be pretty sketchy and use different formats, so you just have to do your best.

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

536 posts

Posted:
thanx you guys!!!
this was a major help!!!