Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was always like:

Yeah, I was in New York City when it happened and I even went to the vigils and stuff but is it too much to ask for a kickass action packed movie? FINALLY, it's here...

The 9/11 movie.

Dude, I totally hope they make a video game... THAT would be hot!

[ frown ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Written by: Birgit

???

Three Kings
Jughead
The Way to Guantanamo (got an Oscar nomination)

I guess I should have guessed that some folks can't tell the difference between the two Iraq wars. And Guantamo ain't Iraq either.

Have you been hanging out with Bush? Next thing you'll be saying that Osama was the president of Iraq.

wink

ubblol ubblol rolleyes ubblol ubblol
Exactly what I was thinking ..... NYC you rock ubblol hug

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Loki_the_trickster

Written by: Mr Majestik

whatever, i just hope the movie stars Arnie, a real american action hero! biggrin

*storms into the bottomless pit that is iraq to personally seek revenge for the innocent americans*

ubblolWell if a movie has to be made I was hopeing for Chuck Norris ubblol

ubbidea Why dont we just send him over!!!!! Pull out all the troops, Chuck could take care of it!!!!! The war would be over in like three seconds. The insurgents wouldnt stand a chance ubblol

Dont forget to send in Rocky as backup! Reme,ber when rocky took on the soviet union? ubblol

[off topic] Oh you know what? There making yet another[/bold] rocky movie help[/offtopic]

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

If you're content with less spectacular movies, then these are only the ones with Iraq in the title... I'm sure you can find more if you actually look for him, same thing with news about the war... if nothing else helps, check the bbc website. There's something about 9 people killed on it on the news front page right now.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388495/
and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420286/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492466/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446729/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457628/plotsummary
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430745/

All of those are documentaries. I have no doubt that there are plenty of documentaries just as there have been plenty of documentaries about 9/11.

The topic of this thread was a commercial movie released by a major production company made with actors on a soundstage about 9/11 with the typical hollywood promotions and slick previews.

There's a huge difference between a factual documentary filming the actual people involved and an action packed thriller with actors and an artificial script based on speculation who's primary concern it to entertain and make money.

Unless you're Fox news, in which case both conepts are interchangable. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:

Unless you're Fox news, in which case both conepts are interchangable. wink

ubblol again I stand by my statement that you rock NYC

I hear that they are pulling the trailer in alot of theaters because its upsetting people.

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
To clarify my point, just in case you actually don't ever think about or understand this. I'll take Three Kings as an example.

There's a scene where a small girl's mum is shot by partisans in front of the girl's eyes. This still happens, with guns, bombs, etc.

There's a scene where a quite simple-minded soldier dies, who has probably been recruited because he needs the money and comes from a trailer park just like many soldiers today do.

People are dying for others' powerplay.

The Iraqi people tell the soldiers something along the lines of "you come and tell us what to do and that we should stand up against Saddam (replace by "for peace" or whatever), and then you leave us alone to be imprisoned or shot". Same thing again.

To me it doesn't matter if this is happening in 1990 or 2006. The names have changed, but what's happening to the people hasn't. There are enough films about the backgrounds of the 2nd war, including Fahrenheit 9/11 for those who like Michael Moore, to paint a picture for that. But for what's happening IN Iraq, for how the population feels and how the soldiers are coping, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

It took producers 10 years, and in some cases a 2nd war, to be able to cope with the first and work it through in movies. If you want a separate movie about Abu Ghreib, try "the experiment" (shows very well what happens if people get put into an almighty prison guard role). I don't see much about the 2nd war that would need a different kind of movie than the first one.

And if you want to continue ignoring the Turkish movie I've told you about, fine... but don't say there aren't any action-packed ones by major companies, unless foreign ones don't count rolleyes
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1144330527)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:

Interesting how nobody's touching the war in Iraq with a movie, tv series, miniseries, shootemup block buster, or a 10 foot pole.

sorry... didn't look like you limited yourself to a hollywood action-loaded major company blockbuster in the first place.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

To me it doesn't matter if this is happening in 1990 or 2006. The names have changed, but what's happening to the people hasn't.

Wow. There's a huge difference between what happened in 1990 and what's going on now.

I don't even know where to start.

The names aren't the same.
The countries involved aren't the same.
The millitary strategy isn't the same.
The effect on the citizens isn't the same.
The after effect is radically different.

OK, I apparently do know where to start, I don't know where to end.

It would take an extremely shallow view of both wars to suggest that the effects are the same.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I mean at the end of Desert Storm SADDAM HUSEIN, his Republican Guard, and some elements of the Iraqi army were still standing and running the country for goodness sake!

That didn't have a 'different affect' on it's people?! Just ask the Kurds!

I'd never say "Better or worse" but I can't ever agree with "the same effect".

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
What I mean is, for your action-laden hollywood shooter spectacle, would it matter?

If there's a kurd killed by a Saddam-supporting militant, or a sunni by a schiit (or vice versa), does that matter
a. for their family
b. as a tear-inducing background action in a movie?

not as far as I'm concerned.

For your Hollywood movie, the actual people don't really matter because it's all about the heroics. Which may be another reason why there hasn't been one, it's a difficult setting for heroicism. Different from the 9/11 plane one, where people chose to die to PREVENT worse, you're talking about a nation being invaded for dubious reasons. Sure, you can have a movie about people who sacrifice themselves trying to bring peace or to save their colleagues, but that's not the shooter you want.

By the way, I never talked about things having different affects or effects or whatever at all. I was saying in my opinion it didn't call for a different type of movie if you want hollywood style. If you DON'T want hollywood style, and if you're actually interested in all the points you've rightfully listed, watch a documentary. But hey, they don't count in your book.

So basically what you want is a radical reformation of Hollywood so that they show movies with a realistic background, lots of information, and still a lot of action. ubblol Good luck.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
all i can say is that it's too early...i had family in new york...someone who spent time in the WTC...we were just blessed work that time didn't take him there that day

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

For your Hollywood movie, the actual people don't really matter because it's all about the heroics. Which may be another reason why there hasn't been one, it's a difficult setting for heroicism. Different from the 9/11 plane one, where people chose to die to PREVENT worse, you're talking about a nation being invaded for dubious reasons. Sure, you can have a movie about people who sacrifice themselves trying to bring peace or to save their colleagues, but that's not the shooter you want.

By the way, I never talked about things having different affects or effects or whatever at all. I was saying in my opinion it didn't call for a different type of movie if you want hollywood style. If you DON'T want hollywood style, and if you're actually interested in all the points you've rightfully listed, watch a documentary. But hey, they don't count in your book.

So basically what you want is a radical reformation of Hollywood so that they show movies with a realistic background, lots of information, and still a lot of action. ubblol Good luck.

You have completely lost the point.

You are misrepresenting things I didn't even suggest.

You are arguing with me about something that I agree with you on.

I never once said that I "wanted" anything and any assumption that you made of that is wrong.

If you'd like to make someone up and argue with them you can feel free but please don't use my name.

Written by:

By the way, I never talked about things having different affects or effects or whatever at all.

Yes. You quite clearly did. You said:

Written by:

To me it doesn't matter if this is happening in 1990 or 2006. The names have changed, but what's happening to the people hasn't.

Let's go back to my original quote:
 Written by:

Interesting how nobody's touching the war in Iraq with a movie, tv series, miniseries, shootemup block buster, or a 10 foot pole.

Seems like there's an awful lot of compelling stories about what's going on over there on a daily basis.

Did I say I wanted a shootem up movie? No.
Did I say that documentaries don't count? No, I said they were not the same thing as blockbuster hollywood movies.

Making statements like:
 Written by:

So basically what you want is a radical reformation of Hollywood so that they show movies with a realistic background, lots of information, and still a lot of action.

when I said nothing of the kind is irresponsable and offensive.

If you do not understand something that I wrote, ASK me. Do NOT suggest that I said words that I did not.

Thankfully my words are still there, perhaps you'd like to go back and read them.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
In a hurry, so the short version.

1. If I say "what's happening to the people hasn't changed", I mean that they are still suffering because they have the wrong religion, or they are still killed as innocent people because some idiot thinks car bombs are a good idea, or they are still kidnapped because they are journalists, or they still get killed because they are soldiers, or they still enlist without knowing what they sign.

I thought I'd made that clear.

2. First you asked why there were no movies, then I listed some (which I can understand that you don't see the parallels between Iraq I and II), so I listed some documentaries, and you said "but there's no action thriller"... I can go on like this as long as I want, you'll never accept anything I say, and we'll keep running round in circles.
I've mentioned one action thriller (3 times now I think) that has been seen by 7 million people by now, and you've not even acknowledged it.

I think I'll follow your advice and make up someone to talk to, it'll definitely be less frustrating frown

As to asking if you don't understand someone, take your own advice. I've explained over and over how I think things in the two wars compare and make an equally good or bad setting for a movie and you still misinterpret it.

As to being offensive, read your very first reply to the movies about the first Gulf war that I mentioned. Unless it was supposed to be funny, in which case it should probably wear a sign around its neck saying so.

I think anything else will only make things more heated or annoyed or whatever, so I've stated my point here and probably won't come back to this thread smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
You pointed out the moving moment in 3 kings, where the iraqi complained that America came in and promised to oust Sadam, but then left in a hurry.

They could make a sequal, where George Clooney goes back to Iraq and saves the people from Sadam, then stays around for a few years to try to help keep the country stable while a new government is formed.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dani_babyboo

as for u sethis u really are one of the sad pathetic people on this earth, innocent people do not deserve to die, what is worse than having to jump to your own death from a burning tower knowing you was either to burn to death or jump, i watched it on tv people jumping and i was in shock and tears and i really felt for the people of newyork and there families.
when it hapened to london i was in total shock and greif again you cant be human to laugh at innocent people dying.

ubblol ubblol ubblol

rolleyes

Sorry, go back and read my post again. I did NOT say that innocent people deserved to die. I did NOT say that I was laughing about it. I said I KNEW some people who laughed. Pay attention please.

Thank you. biggrin

(I would also appreciate it if you edited your post? I don't really like people slandering me on a forum)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My son LOVED the show "Over There". The one episode I caught was quite good, and I know that my friend who watched it with my son enjoyed it alot as well.
From what I remember the lines between fiction and documentary were seriously blurred intentionally, and done very well.

I've known people serving in the military in every war going back to WWII. I am related and/or close to most. Lost a couple. I have horror stories about Desert Storm and the current war in Iraq actually.
I know someone who died in 9/11. He was an amazing man and a very dedicated fireman who deserved to live and not die in something so senseless.
I'm invested emotionally to a degree, like most people.

They released that they were making this movie well over a year ago. The original proposal and plot is that it is from several peoples point of view...not an overall statement on it. Think more like "Volcano", less like "Armageddon".

I think far worse than a movie are the men hocking the t-shirts and the pamphlets down at the twin towers site, right under the no soliciting signs at that.

I think far worse are the busloads of tourists that unload at the site, giggling, laughing and saying CHEEZ for the camera as if they are posing with Mickey at Disney Land (and for those who hate American opportunism so much, no one of those busloads I saw were American).

I think FAR worse is that the memorial to those who died is going to be underground where it will be forgotten and fall to the wayside of care like most do.

A movie is a very small, yet expected, action in the much larger scope of travesties surrounding 9/11. But it will come out, it will be a blockbuster with picketers and extreme opinions over it. Political debates will uprise, people will become insensed. Hollywood will make a fair buck or two and then Johnny Depp's next movie will come out, or "Brokeback Mountain pt 2" or whatever and it will be forgotten.

Such is the way of our instant gratification society.

And as such I won't see it (not my type of movie anyway) and it won't phase me.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
im sorry i wont edit my post for the simple fact u stated

"Surely the only way to teach a politician a lesson is to kill a few of his constituency? It certainly provoked a response, as nothing else"

to me that was saying that it got the attention killing innocent people and u did have a rude way of putting haha teach them ***** or whatever it was

its not slander im quoting what you said and how it came across
if you didnt mean it that way fair enough im sure everyone here can see this is just aheated topic with responses

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
You need to learn the difference between rhetorical questions and statements of opinion.

My opinion will begin with: "I think..." or "In my opinion...".

Rhetorical questions will end in a question mark and will not have the "In my opinion..." in front of them.

Again, I SAID I KNOW people who put it that way, I would NOT put it that way MYSELF.

Calling me "sad and one of the most pathetic people on this earth" is out of line when I haven't even told you what *I* think of it yet.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
This is the 3rd, (or maybe 4th) movie made about Flight 93, although the others were all made for TV, and what bugs me is they all had the exact same plot. It's as if they're continually reinforcing the premise that the passengers rose up and were heroes and saved the day, when in all likelihood the inept pilots accidentally crashed or the plane was shot down by the air force.

I wonder if the government is funding these movies, to help cement the "official story." It wouldn't be the first time they used propoganda to promote their views on US culture.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Prometheus

This is the 3rd, (or maybe 4th) movie made about Flight 93, although the others were all made for TV, and what bugs me is they all had the exact same plot. It's as if they're continually reinforcing the premise that the passengers rose up and were heroes and saved the day, when in all likelihood the inept pilots accidentally crashed or the plane was shot down by the air force.

I wonder if the government is funding these movies, to help cement the "official story." It wouldn't be the first time they used propoganda to promote their views on US culture.

Hmmmm. If the movies are all based on the same events, then one would expect them to have, in general, the same plot.

It was my understanding that phone calls were recieved from passengers on the plane announcing their intentions to try to take the cockpit. It is, of course, possible for the government to have faked these, just as it is possible that they could have faked the moon landings.

However, I have not heard that "in all likelyhood' the crashes were due to inept piloting or from being shot down by the air force. The other terrorist pilots seemed trained well enough to fly into their targets (unless that was also done by the government). In all likelyhood, the pilots on the plane that crashed had undergone the same training. Thus, in all likelyhood the crash was due to something else besides pilot error.

The remaining alternatives mostly involve interference with the plans of the pilots from some other source. I am curious to hear what has caused you to think that it is more likely that the government shot them down.

One could theorize that, in all likelyhood, the field where the plane crashed was probably the intended target of the terrorists. After all, the other planes seemed to hit their presumed targets just fine. A three pronged attack would seem to make sense if you wanted to strike at America.

Perhaps the WTC strike was an attack on American capitalism, the Pentagon strike was attack on American military power, and the strike on the former coal mining area in Pennsylvania was an attack on American use of fossil fuels.

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sethis

Surely the only way to teach a politician a lesson is to kill a few of his constituency?

this remark i found sad and pathetic

rolleyes

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
anyone seen this one;

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5137581991288263801&q=loose+change

another 911 movie - this one tries to document the inconsistencies in the mainstream line on 911.

what do you think?

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
clap Loose Change is great I was thinking about posting it too Pyrolific
Real eye opener that documentary is wink If ya'll have the time give it a watch its worth it
Ever scine 9/11 I've wondered about alot of the same things discussed in it

RayinRedSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
Its kinda nauseating, it was only 5 years ago!!!!!!!

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Yeah that Loose Change film is good, very interesting. Some of the inconsistencies that are highlighted in it reminded me of some of the inconsistencies in the assasination of Princess Diana in 1997.

I was in Boston on Sept. 11th and been interested in it ever since. I've always thought that the official story was a little odd, never made any sense. One of the things i regret not doing was buying a newspaper on the 11th and 12th. Would be very interesting to read the articles now.

As for the topic bit of a Hollywood film of 9/11 - they're a bit late aren't they? There have been a few films depicting 9/11 already, and not many of them have supported the 9/11 official story. Besides, who remembers Pearl Habour and the flop that was? I suppose when the Hollywood film comes out it might generate discussion about this very taboo topic.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Lefterisstranger
19 posts

Posted:

a kickass action packed movie? FINALLY, it's here...
[ frown ]

Starring Steven Segal in the role of a peaceful ex-SEAL team captain and counter-terrorist expert, whose plan to fly home is foiled by evil terrorists… I just hope they make a sequel to this “9/11 : The revenge” biggrin

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i will not be watching it. its really not my type of film. and i'm more than fed up with hearing about 9 11... and anything related.

the whole point of the attack was for the terroists to get the attention of the world. they did that and are still doing it. If they brought out a film about the great success of 9 11 the world would go mad.

i have never been one for wars and war stories after all what is one mans tragedy is anothers victory it just depends on what side your on.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Odd,, I watched the Loose Change film on thursday and was thinknig about posting it aswell,, And agreed,, theres so much stuff that just doesnt add up,, or at least in the way that things are 'supposed' too although my favorite (and i realise the term is grossly missapplied in this case) bit is still the passport flying out of the plane,, through the building so it can be found by a helpful copper.. I mean COME ON !!!!!

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Lets get real people, Loose Change is nothing but disinformation.

Hate the American administation if you must, but making false accusations against them is stupidity and strengthens their support. They've done a lot of bad stuff but deliberately killing thousands of their own people isn't on of them.

It is just anouther in a long list of sad conspiracy theories.

EDIT: If you are going make conspiracy movie at least study some collision dynamics first, dumb-ass rolleyes. (I'm about 20 minutes in now. God damn this is a crap movie)
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1145108305)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Well it was bound to happen, I just think its way too early to start making movies about 9/11. Maybe if they waiting 20 years or so people might not get as offended.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

Lets get real people, Loose Change is nothing but disinformation.

Hate the American administation if you must, but making false accusations against them is stupidity and strengthens their support. They've done a lot of bad stuff but deliberately killing thousands of their own people isn't on of them.

It is just anouther in a long list of sad conspiracy theories.

EDIT: If you are going make conspiracy movie at least study some collision dynamics first, dumb-ass rolleyes. (I'm about 20 minutes in now. God damn this is a crap movie)

You dismissed the movie as misinformation and false accusations before you watched it?

Page: