Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I was always like:

Yeah, I was in New York City when it happened and I even went to the vigils and stuff but is it too much to ask for a kickass action packed movie? FINALLY, it's here...

The 9/11 movie.

Dude, I totally hope they make a video game... THAT would be hot!

[ frown ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I'm glad us americans are already over the trauma of that horrific event that we could start using it to market a widescreen action thriller.

I'll try to keep an open mind before requesting hollywood executives be slapped.

nope, slap them~!

(As if the rest of the world didn't already laugh at us)

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
*sigh*
God I hate America.
Wait, let me rephrase that Americans.....thats what I ment..... no wait people THAAAAATS IT PEEEOOPPPLLLLEEEEE. wink
As some of you already know I am anti-exploiting-tragedy

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
so do you what do you reckon the marketing machine will create for this movie - t-shirts perhaps? mugs? baseball caps? slurpee cups? bumper stickers? perhaps there will even be a series of collectable mcdonalds figurines.

its sad but i wouldnt put it past them *le sigh*

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Here is a kinda weird set of questions:

1. Who "owns" the story of 9/11? The families of victims? The American people? The world?
2. Who gets to tell this story?
3. By what means is it acceptable to tell this story? By a book? An article in a paper? A radio play? A TV Show? A movie? (at what point do we call it "cashing in")

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
How is it different from any number of movies about Gallipoli/Normandy Landings/Vietnam...

You'd hope they'd make an effort to get it accurate but I fear not, like in any number of movies about Gallipoli/Normandy etc...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Wow, its perfect

public outrage = free advertising

"hey, i cant believe they made that movie!!! have you seen it yet?"

"yeah man, its sick"

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ah but munich looks great! It like what happens when they put somebody real in charge of a country, not a bunch of idiot politicians that can't go to the toilet without compromising.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Oh the film about the plane that they 'honestly' didnt shoot down....

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
shrug

couldn't really care less...

big event --> movie.

Eera's right, it's not at all different from any other movie... should I protest against every movie to do with WW2 because my grandfather died in it?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I havnt seen the trailor for it, but it might actually be a good thing. If its done right it might become the next Schindlars List, such a brilliant film.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
any tragedy will make a story for a movie

most films and books in this line are based on real life events and yes sometimes not accurate but the accuracy is so to cover up some of what may be too bad

in a way a film will keep people remembering in future, our children and childrens children will be aware of the tragedy.

think about it we mainly know about different wars and tragedys from films such as ww2 films, the film schindlers list is one major film, big hit used in education also. another is titanic it tells the story of a great disaster on a ship they arent just using it to cash in mainly a film costs millions to make anyway. it is also a way to keep the memory alive years to come.

yes it was a deep tragedy, and no people wasnt laughing at america, it was on uk news all day, it totally shocked me and the rest of the uk was in great shock and deep sympathys for the people in newyork and the people lost and the families who lost. same as uk had there same tragic event with terrorists, jesus i was nearly involved in that one myself in london but i missed my first train home so i was lucky. the amount of scares we have had in london since is nasty and so we know how newyork feel.

but keeping the story alive can be a good thing too and im sure the follow up to that film will be the july bombings in london or some uk director will make one.

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dani_babyboo

no people wasnt laughing at america

I think you'll find they were. I know several people whose first response to the Twin Towers attacks was "Hah! Finally someone's teaching those arrogant ***** a lesson!"

Personally, the attacks didn't shock me, the response that followed over the next 3 years did. shrug

I'm personally not that bothered about the film, it comes under the heading of "Free Speech" and you can see what I think of that in my Sig.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

addict
667 posts

Posted:
some people may have laughed but i find them sad and pathetic.

innocent people did not deserve to die, the actual arrogant ones such as bush maybe do deserve to be taught a lesson but i dont think anyone deserves to die in something like a terrorist attack.

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Surely the only way to teach a politician a lesson is to kill a few of his constituency? It certainly provoked a response, as nothing else (read: global warming, debt, AIDS, pollution and the myriad other problems that Bush is not addressing) could.

I can think of worse ways to die than in a terrorist attack... like starving to death because of subsidised farmers cutting the bottom out of the market... subsidised farmers who grow more than they need then burn the excess...

Damn. offtopic again... ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Surely the only way to teach a politician a lesson is to kill a few of his constituency?

Is that some kind of cutting edge sarcasm sethis?

Do you really believe that life is so disposable?

Love is the law.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Sethis

Everything is related. Thinking about the big picture wouldn't be construded as 'Off Topic'

If only Bush was 'burnt as excess'....

Although going back to the topic of them making a film about 9/11.

Because the events in the film (unlike the Titanic, Munich (however topical) and WWII) are still directly affecting everything in the world today (if you believe the tenuous link between Al-Quaeda and Iraq)

my own concern is where the gross profit from the film will go to. Will it go to the families of those who died in the attacts or will it be lining the pockets of already wealthy movie fatcats? In which case its nothing more than blood money.

I'm still not sure (and never will be sure) about what exactly happened on the plane.

Did the passengers, upon hearing of the WTC attacks give their lives to bring the plane down as in the official reports, or did the air force indeed shoot it down as per protocol?

If the former, then I suppose it is a comforting way to honour those on the plane, a move approved by one of the victims' families. If a lie, a blatant piece of cynical American patriotist propoganda.

It's not my place to give a conclusive opinion as it will be uninformed...

But why would be need a film about 9/11 anyway? The world's media provided us with blanket coverage of the day's events that the images are as vivid today as they were 4 1/5 years ago. And just like how people couldn't believe what they were seeing because things like that only happen in films, I wouldn't be able to believe what's onscreen as I had seen it broadcast live. Of course, this film is covering events on a plane where we couldn't see into. But there is also Oliver Stone's 'World Trade Centre'. Uncharacteristically, instead of being a brain-melting conspiracy theorists' wet dream, Stone's film will be another homage to the fire-fighters who died in the towers.

Personally, had I died in the towers I'd wish the movie bosses save their cash and have everyone work towards building a more peaceful world to live in, so that something like this never happens again.

But that's just me being ridiculous...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
I find it funny that after 9/11 there was a movement to remove images of the towers from movies and TV shows that had them in it (EX. Armagedon.....if you bought it after 9/11 there are no burning towers in the NY asteroid scene) and now thier making movies about it to make money.....I just dont get it shrug

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
besides

there is already a post 9/11 tv show...

Love is the law.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

besides

there is already a post 9/11 tv show...

Is that 'Rescue Me' with Dennis Leary?
Only watched the 1st episode. Gave up after that one

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yep

rubbish

/personal opinion ubbangel

Love is the law.

addict
667 posts

Posted:
yes they may be effecting the world today still but if there was the technology we have now wouldnt you think the titanic and ww2 and vietnam have had films made about them sooner.

they are no different, yes they are there in a way for entertanment but how many films leave and impact on you when you watch them and make you think? maybe thats what they hope to do and keep the memory alive.

pearl harbour is one major film on real life past situations which has left an impact on many people yes winning awards but most of us wouldnt even know about things in the past had we not watched films on them.
i would never have understood the concentration camps during ww2 if it wasnt for schindlers list, i would never have been interested in the big ship that sunk had titanic not come out. it keeps a memory alive of what has happened bad or good and makes our children and there children learn in future as we learnt from other films.

as for u sethis u really are one of the sad pathetic people on this earth, innocent people do not deserve to die, what is worse than having to jump to your own death from a burning tower knowing you was either to burn to death or jump, i watched it on tv people jumping and i was in shock and tears and i really felt for the people of newyork and there families.
when it hapened to london i was in total shock and greif again you cant be human to laugh at innocent people dying.

enter the love realm...
insert ur token

stepped up promotions

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Interesting how nobody's touching the war in Iraq with a movie, tv series, miniseries, shootemup block buster, or a 10 foot pole.

Seems like there's an awful lot of compelling stories about what's going on over there on a daily basis.

I mean, I can only assume since the media has completely stopped covering it. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
???

Three Kings
Jughead
Syriana (general wars about oil)
The Way to Guantanamo (got an Oscar nomination)

Maybe US media have stopped covering it, but in the UK and the rest of Europe it's still on the news nearly daily.

Maybe look towards smaller productions instead of Hollywood... they'll need some years to deal with it first. It's always easier to picture herioc Americans if they get attacked.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
whatever, i just hope the movie stars Arnie, a real american action hero! biggrin

*storms into the bottomless pit that is iraq to personally seek revenge for the innocent americans*

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
oh, here it is...

"valley of the wolves" aka the Turkish Rambo. Apparently it's glorifying violence, antisemitic, etc etc. But it's a big big success in Turkey and with Turkish people across Europe. So it's just as biased as things like Rambo and Pearl Harbor, but from a different perspective...

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4700154.stm
bbc
https://imdb.com/title/tt0493264/
imdb
https://www.valleyofthewolvesiraq.com/high/main.html
film website

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

whatever, i just hope the movie stars Arnie, a real american action hero! biggrin

*storms into the bottomless pit that is iraq to personally seek revenge for the innocent americans*

ubblolWell if a movie has to be made I was hopeing for Chuck Norris ubblol

ubbidea Why dont we just send him over!!!!! Pull out all the troops, Chuck could take care of it!!!!! The war would be over in like three seconds. The insurgents wouldnt stand a chance ubblol

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

???

Three Kings
Jughead
The Way to Guantanamo (got an Oscar nomination)

I guess I should have guessed that some folks can't tell the difference between the two Iraq wars. And Guantamo ain't Iraq either.

Have you been hanging out with Bush? Next thing you'll be saying that Osama was the president of Iraq.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
There was that series, Over There, airing last winter, I don't know what happened to it but it sure was good.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
It takes a while to work through stuff if you seriously want to make a movie. Given the attitudes of most of your countrymen to even mentioning the war at the Oscars (or going there if you opposed it) a while ago, don't be surprised if there is no American Hollywood movie about the recent one yet. But there are 2 more movies to come out about 9/11 this summer, once the one with the 2nd class cast has passed the test.

By the way, a lot of the things that are true for the first are true for this one, too... I put the Guantanamo one in for things like PoWs and their treatment, which is one of the things taking place in Iraq that disgusts me most, I'm well aware where Guantanamo is.

Any comments on the Turkish one? The website says it'll come to the US soon, do you think they'll actually screen it?

If you're content with less spectacular movies, then these are only the ones with Iraq in the title... I'm sure you can find more if you actually look for them, same thing with news about the war... if nothing else helps, check the bbc website. There's something about 9 people killed on it on the news front page right now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388495/
and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420286/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492466/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446729/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457628/plotsummary

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430745/

You said to tell you when you sound either sarcastic or condescending, and your comment does quite a bit of both... maybe next time read between the lines before I have to explain everything I write and why I do it and search movie databases for you tongue
EDITED_BY: Birgit (1144329475)

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: