Forums > Technical Discussion > Chemical for making fire toys safe for Internationally travel??

Login/Join to Participate

fire_monkGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
Ok, i've done searches n stuff but found nothing!, could have miss something though!
I have been told a while back about a liquid you can get which nutralizes fuels such as Kero and so forth that can be used on your wicks to make them safe for international travel, apprently you give them a good soaking at the other end and bobs you aunty. but heres the kicker i can't for the life of me remember the name on find it on the net??? has anyone else heard of this, and or know its name> i'm travelling from Oz to Canada via the states soon and am planning on taking about 5 staves and a set of poi's(and any othe toys i might pick up b4 then), thats a lot of wick to replace ha! any help please!!

Find peace, find truth, find stillness, wrest in it fully, 'know thy self', be free and live life as you never thought you could...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Decent info and a handful of further links:

[Old link]

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

fire_monkGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
Tanks heaps, will check it out!

'sutra' the fire dancing monk!

Find peace, find truth, find stillness, wrest in it fully, 'know thy self', be free and live life as you never thought you could...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I find the only safe way is to burn your wicks dry.

a couple of years ago i was traveling to portugal and before i went i decided to treat my wicks by leaving them in a bucket of water for a day. (I generally fuerl my wicks after every burn to put out the smouldering)

anyway, I get to portugal, dry out the wicks, and just as an after thought decided to see if they would light without dunking, the little baggers burned for 7 mins!!! eek

now I always burn my wicks dry, thenm its really easy to prove they arnt flamable, becuase no amount of heat will ignight dry kevlar.

and if you dont want them to suffer too much then dont swing them as they burn down, that should reduce the embers.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
I find the only safe way is to burn your wicks dry.

Erm, isn't that, like really bad for your wicks? Because as far as I know, once they run out of fuel they start to smoulder, which is the actual kevlar burning.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nope... That's an old wives tale told by old wives and uninformed firespinners.

There is absolutely no evidence that's ever been put forth to substantiate any of that.

Lots of legend and hearsay and anecdotal nonsense, but no evidence at all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I definitly read that somewhere too, about it being bad... it makes sense I suppose.... o my... i hope i didnt age 60 years, change gender, and get married all of the sudden.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Even if it is bad it's not 'really' bad so doing it the rare times you need to catch a flight isn't going to do much at all.

I've always let my wicks burn dry and at a year old they still burn well.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
i may be being stupid, but if your toys are in your bag and out of the way, does it really matter if theyre flammable? polyesters flammbale but you can take that on a flight

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
polyester dosen't give off flammable fumes ubblol

c42fSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
It's interesting to hear others' opionions on this. Recently I wanted to take my poi on a plane as well, and eventually decided to burn them dry. This was after trying to let the kero evaporate by leaving them outside for several weeks, which didn't work at all - they were still highly flammable. Having burnt them dry a few times now, my wicks seem to be holding up just fine. I feel very justified bringing them on an aeroplane when they're burnt dry since they're then much less flammable than nearly everything else in my bag biggrin

Actually, I just bought some new wicking from HoP recently and the info sheet which came with it just says to put the wicks out when most of the fuel is gone - it doesn't indicate that they need to be dipped again. To quote:
 Written by:

How to make the wick last longer

Attach it to the poi or staff as tight as possible. Most people let their wicks burn to long. All the damage is done when most of the evaporating fuel has gone and the fire is burning the residue on the wick.

I have seen somewhere a seperate issue: that *new* wicks should be put out before they burn dry. This may very well be true, but again I don't really know...

fire_monkGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
thanks so much for all your wisdom fire peoples, I just tried to take my fire toys back home to nz for a week (3 Staves and a set of poi's) they wouldn't let the staves on but i stashed the poi's in about 7 plastic bags and then into my luggage, and got them through fine, although i smelt them before i took them out of the plastic bags at the other end and i could smell the fuel, so don't like my chances on a long hall flight as aposed to a 3 hr flight! I was also given a number at the flight desk for a company that professionally cleans stuff with so called dangerous/flammible chemicals on them, and then forward then direct to you destination, so will check them out!