Page:
MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
Has anyone expiremented with pyrotechnics in your routines? Seems a group of pyros like this would.

Here in the US we have what are called "sparklers". Small wire rods that emit a shower of sparks when lit. Safe enough to be handheld by children. If you attached a sparkler to each end of your staff near the wick, it would give you sparks for a short period.

What about Flash Cotton? Sold in magic supply stores, it burns very quickly creating a flash. Lycopodium powder (Dragon's Breath) is also used by magicians, this powder is only flammable when suspended in air and will not burn otherwise. If you threw a handful into the air and ran your staff through it you might get a fireball.

Just curious! confused

"Better to burn out than it is to rust" - Neil Young

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
If you attach the sparklers to your wicks it should in theory burn down and lite your wicks for you.

To play it safe is not to play

neon__lightsnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Nah...The sparklers don't generate heat.

neon__lightsnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
...As in...they wouldn't lite a gas-soaked paper. You can acctually hold the sparks in your hand. It's all light, no heat.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Have you ever picked up a sparkler after it has gone out? When I was younger my cousin did and she had to go to hospital to treat the burns on her hands. They might not produce much heat while lit but they do when they have gone out. Hence all the government warnings about not picking sparklers up with your bare hands after they have gone out.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
I think what neons talking about may be the indoor sparklers you can get.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

PyrohymirSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MadDogMike

Has anyone expiremented with pyrotechnics in your routines? Seems a group of pyros like this would.

Here in the US we have what are called "sparklers". Small wire rods that emit a shower of sparks when lit. Safe enough to be handheld by children. If you attached a sparkler to each end of your staff near the wick, it would give you sparks for a short period.

This should work. Just remember to keep audiences in safe distance from yourself. Other than that, just obey the general safey-code. And don't use it on a show until you are absolutely certain of the effect.

What about Flash Cotton? Sold in magic supply stores, it burns very quickly creating a flash. Lycopodium powder (Dragon's Breath) is also used by magicians, this powder is only flammable when suspended in air and will not burn otherwise. If you threw a handful into the air and ran your staff through it you might get a fireball.

Flashcotton would probably burn to fast to have an visible effect. It might work to light up your wicks, but just remember that in might react with the fuel pn the wicks. This might cause an uncontrollable ignition. I haven't tried it myself, but i might do it just to finds out.

The idea of Lychopodium i like a lot! This sholud work out smoothly, just as long as you don't throw it against the wind!! rolleyes

Just curious! confused

It's healthy to be curious! It's the only way to learn new things.

Hope this was enlightening. If you have any more pyrotechnical questions, just send an PM.

Regards.
Pyromaniac.
Pyrotchnician.

It's your Hell. YOU burn in it. I'll just burn here...
I put the sensual back into non-consensual!!

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
i like all these ideas, i was gonna try the sparklers tonight but it started rainin.... when i do try ill be shore to come back and tell you what happens,
PyroMattman.

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
wooohoo it works, i only done it in sunlight though.... tonight ill put heaps of sparklers at each end, ill try to get some pics smile,
PyroMattman.

PyrohymirSILVER Member
16 posts

Posted:
I want to see some pics!! I might incorporate this in my show to. Along with the firethrowers and small eksplotions. devil

It's your Hell. YOU burn in it. I'll just burn here...
I put the sensual back into non-consensual!!

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
ill try to get some on the weekend cant wait, hopefully they will stay in the ends of my wicks but im thinkin itll be safer to take em out after i burnoff or somthing

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
oooh sparklers, i tried that with burningoftheclavey a few months ago. they burnt way too quick and clipped the ground n fell out of the staff. Was very disappointed! lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Personally I find that Roman Candle fireworks are the best for doing stuff like that but you have to be really careful and wear safety gear. And keep your planes very very clean.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
heres a quick lil video https://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd4/71961/Sparklers.wmv

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Nice vid biggrin
Glad to see I was correct about the sparklers lighting the wicks devil biggrin bounce2 bounce (does a happy little I was right dance!)
How many sparklers did you use?
Oh! and like the music biggrin

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
Hehe thanks
i just used one sparkler on each end, theres a bit of space between the actual wick and the stick so i can stick them down there. haha yer the music was Gay Bar by Electric Six. sounds a bit suss but an awsome song.
PyroMattman

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
THAT'S what I'm takin' about! You should be able to start spinning with just the sparklers and have them light the wicks

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Video doesn't work for me frown

What did you attach the sparklers to the wick with?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
theres a small gap between the staff and my wick so just kinda forced it down there redface so yer

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
tepooka have fireworks spewing out of the end of their staffs in the show of theirs i saw at the sjc this year,
it looked amazing,

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I also experimented once with various ground fireworks attached to a stick once. The effect is great, but to perform with it here in Berlin you legally need to take a pyrotechnic course and pay a yearly fee of over a thousand euros.

On the other hand, the sparklers are considered 'safe' enough to not be applied in this category. I never tried them since I figured the effect would be too pathetic (I unfortunatly cant prove myself wrong since the video doesnt work). Can you really see the effect from far away?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

FIRE_SPINNERBRONZE Member
87 posts

Posted:
i tried sparkler poi, i have a pic here.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
Looks good, you just tied the sparklers to some rope? Were they heavy enough to spin well?

If you live in the US, now is the time to stock up on fireworks. Laws vary between states and counties, in my area you can only purchase from 6/30 to 7/4.

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Great minds think alike biggrin Evertime I've gotten money somethigns happened so I havent made any firetoys yet. I decided sparklers are better than nothing and went out with some staff/chucks/poi/crystal sticks. I used the Metal ones So I could bend it. Drilled holes in the end of my PVC staff and chucks. Simply stick sparkler halfway through and bend. The same with the Chains for poi, and bent ournd a flap thingy for crystal sticks.
I was outside doing it, and my drunk neighbor shouts, "man you @#$%^& need to get a %^&*( Hobby" I looked down at my sparkler staff and laughed to myself. He's always hated me for some reason.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
LOL...I have weekly fire spins at my place...every friday night my neighbors set lawn chairs out and watch...the old lady behind us turns on her water hose and stands at gaurd of her rose bushes...I think they've adaped well to having fire spinner living near them...*sniffle* I'm so proud...

ok...sorry. I've used the metal sparklers to light wirewool burns. Didn't work out too well...but taking several of them and bending them around the wirewool to add color worked better than I thought. (***warning - wear leather or flame retardant clothing for this!!! ***)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Check it. cool

xdave

S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:
Nice dave... the suit looks nuts too!

At Common Ground last year, me and Psyrush did the finale with a huge fire works display with Staves.

Fire Works Finale

Ry took this pic. One end had gone out by then. We used fountain fireworks, not sure of brand, type, etc. Rush got them, and electrical tape to hold them on (good stuff)

As mentioned earlier, planes must be very straight, no fancy cross-overs, the effect is enough, don't need tricks. I'd recommend safety gear, eg/mask, long sleeves. Damn it was fun, wouldn't make a habbit of it. Needed 50m x 50m area to do it safely!

weavesmiley

Petey: "i just finished a rubiks cube, from completely shuffled to not, in 1 minute 57 seconds "

Experiencing people is the best experience of all.

Govenor of Flynt's Ass...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Knoxious

Check it. cool

xdave

nice pose! wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I've done a show with a catharine wheel directly behind me, which was such a rush to do! The sound it makes is amazing! Wouldve been impossible with the slightest wind though - imagine how far the sparks would've flown! Into my back, the audiance, everywhere! The catharine wheel in this pic:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

Also, at last year's Burning Man London Decompression party, at the end of the fireshow, santi did firestaff with fireworks at the end. From the video it was *alright* looking, but these pics (3rd and 4th) look AMAZING! I wish I could do it:

https://www.davidjbradshaw.com/album/?mod...spsize=Original

Stupidly he didn't have proper respiratory protection, and was a wheezing cripple for a week afterwards, because of all the metallic fumes. I would heavily recommend a respirator (like the ones people use when spray painting things) and a boiler suit / all-over body protection! Those sparks leave lots of tiny little scars... the crazy fool!

When I attempt this (gotta wait for a good occasion / money) I will wear goggles, a boiler suit, a respirator and a hoody, all heavily doused in water ... theres just too much at risk to be flippant about it, there was a horible fireworks safety advert a few years back with a teenager with an all-white eye, the result of playing with pyrotechnics apparently ...brrrr...

But yeah, it does def. look purdy! smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
this page has a video of my mate doing firework doublestaff.
he was wearing full flash hood, googles and respiratory mask (he's actually a fireman) crowd loved it and he didn't need to do much in the way of spinning, just piling on flameproof clothes made them feel it was exciting and dangerous

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Good lord that's amazing! I have to show that to my friend who used to work in a fireworks factory. The way random stars of light surround your friend and all the colours work ... mesmerising!

Do you know if the staff "bucks" a lot whilst the fireworks are lit? I'd imagine the staff trying to jump out of your hands and take it where the fireworks want ...

Page: