Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i just did this test on the bbc website...just out of interest realy , and my results came up that i am exactly in between male and female, equal parts of both.

i'm not quite sure what to make of it...on one hand i though, cool, i have the best of boh worlds, but that's assuming that either would be just as good.

i guess what im getting at, is do people think it's better to be equal parts male/female (speaking in brain terms, not physical!!) or is one better than the other?

i think i'm pleased at the results (bearing in mind that it's just some test on a website and harldy conclusive) and they seem to back up what i feel about myself and what others have said to me.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty much even aswell,

the only one that swayed it more to the female side for me was the eyes one-100% check me out!!

Really interesting quiz Tao!

I think it doesn't matter whether you think more masculine/feminine or whether they're equally balanced!

I think as long as you are yourself certain people will love you, others wont, but you'll be you and thats all that matters!

xx

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
hmmm, in some ways i agree with you, but not entirely.

ok, i was trying not to put my own opinion, but i will now just to explain.

bear in mind here i am talking about the definitions give in the test...so epmathy=female, systematic=male etc.

personally i think it's better to have male characteristics. i think my empathy & stuff are ok, and not at a low level where i become sociophobic...but i think to have a large amount of feminine characteristics tends to turn people in to the kind of people i just can't get on with...no logic, no reason, jumping very quickly to emaiotional decisions...that kind of thing. i find this extremely irritating in both men and women.

on the other hand, people who are biased toward male characteristics, like the ones mentioned above, i find have a more realistic view of the world and are just more interesting people.

in both these cases, i mean people who have adequate levels of each i guess, so people who have basic levels of empathy, emotional understanding. i don't think having JUST one or the other would be good!

i generally think that the ability to look at situations without being too emotially involved and be able to find your way logically round a situation are just better and will set you in better stead for dealing with the world.

for example...look at the threads on HoP...people tend to dig themselves in to holes, and understand discussions less when they jump straight in and make emotional judgements, where are when they look at evidence systematically, and don't make statements entirely based on emotion the whole discussion moves foreward quicker. and also other people can understand what they mean and respond to it. they are also able to back it up with something better than 'this is just what i felt'. which at the end of the day only justifies itself, and is often the excuse used to get out of a deadlock when the talk can not be resolved.

the only time i can see that the completely emotional appraoch is useful is when talking to people who are upset, or involved in a situation, or anyway, in talks which are all about a particular personal situation...to make people feel better etc. but in this case, logical processes can also be useful to help people out.

i often find that people i see as really girly, i just don't even want to talk to them because i find them irritating...and this is my emotional self jumping in! i am at my most sympathetic, most able to communicate what i feel, and most able to deal with the world when i am in touch with what i feel, but able to judge it rationally. i find i get on with people best when i am able to look at their behaviour and assess it rationally. so i am using empathy, but more imprtantly, reason. i think that a lot of my empathy is based in logical reasoning about how i know people behave when they are in a certain mood etc.

this is just a quick note of my thoughts & i'm in a ruch to leave for work, so not very clear maybe! just thinking out loud...

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
well just taken the test and im 50 in the male area, and it also tells me im ment to be a good fighter, well i do do kickboxing

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

i generally think that the ability to look at situations without being too emotially involved and be able to find your way logically round a situation are just better and will set you in better stead for dealing with the world.

for example...look at the threads on HoP...people tend to dig themselves in to holes, and understand discussions less when they jump straight in and make emotional judgements, where are when they look at evidence systematically, and don't make statements entirely based on emotion the whole discussion moves foreward quicker. and also other people can understand what they mean and respond to it. they are also able to back it up with something better than 'this is just what i felt'. which at the end of the day only justifies itself, and is often the excuse used to get out of a deadlock when the talk can not be resolved.

Of course the trouble here is that a lot of people mistake attacking the argument logically for attacking the person... And then if people are too emotional about something then their responses are also emotional rather than logical, leading to the argument going nowhere.

And to edit, I got a big fat zero. I'm quite the new man wink ubblol
EDITED_BY: spiralx (1143835567)

"Moo," said the happy cow.

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
i'm newer tongue i got 50 points femme.
*realises this may not be such a great thing*
oh well rolleyes
on theplus side i got 100% on spot the difference, yeah, go me bounce

*produces sandwich- is happy*

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
That was interesting but did'nt give me any suprises. I'm on the female side around 40%.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
50 towards M.

When you need to get things done, I'd say a systematic, structured approach is always the best. Snap out of whatever dreamy state you're in and see what needs to be done, and attend to it accordingly.

However, it's not always black and white, and sometimes going a slightly scenic route is fun too.

When it comes to dealing with people, I think it's always nice to have a good balance (here we go with the cliches again..), and it's not always a gendered division. I tend to find myself more drawn to level-headed, sensible types. Types who occasionally may go wandering just because, but when it's time to work, they crunch numbers. I find I completely can't get along with dramatic types- where everything's either the best thing since ever, or the end of the world. It's nice to have a reasonable (not too tight) grip on reality, and know the people you surround yourself with are roughly on the same page.

That being said, I've probably wandered off on some tangent.. [/rant] smile

PS. Something silly I saw on some other forum once, a banner which said, "Do not feed the drama llama". Made me laugh. ubblol

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Looking at the 'average results' I was surprised how badly some folks did on some of the areas.

19/20 angles (male)
43% spot the difference (balanced)
Left hand on top
13/20 empathizer (a bit girlie)
15/20 systemizing (boyish)
10/10 on the eyes (?!) (super girlie!)
95.5 fingers (supermanly!)
I like more feminine faces (duh!)
12/12 on the rotations
12 words (girlie)
And I split the pot evenly which is girlie.

But for some reason I end up 25% manly.
Sounds about right.

I can read maps and give hugs. biggrin hug

[I still don't get the eyes thing. Even though I got them all. Weird.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Im a woman lol, 50 female I got.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I did a similar sort of test a while back, and that said I was 50\50 male female. This one said I was 50 towards female. I wonder if I've mellowed with age. Wierdly, I found the eyes very difficult, wonder how significant that is in how I relate to people.

I also don't see how whether you prefer female or male faces makes a difference to whether your brain has more female or male traits.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I was about 25 towards male...

Angles: 16/20: both male and female traits
Spot the difference: 14%: more male brain
Hands: left on top
Empathising: 8/20: more male (which is 7.9)
Systemising: 7/20: more female (which is 8/20)
Eyes: 6/10: balanced male-female brain
Fingers: left-1.01 right-1.01
prefer more masculine faces
3D shapes: 6/12
11 words in total: closer to the average for men (11.4)
Ultimatum: divided evenly: more feminine

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'm 50% towards male, but with variable results; very good at rotating stuff (apparently I'm a natural engineer, must tell the boss come pay review time), but on the other hand I'm crap at systematics, so basically I want to build stuff, but if I do it'll fall down.

I'm happy in my skin, and that's good enough for me.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I'm a man....according to the test I got the average of most men taking the test argh....

For the angles part I got the female brain.

Male brain for spot the difference.

Apparently I prefer femine faces in the men I choose.

I am apparently the strong, silent type with a male brain...hahahahaha

Maybe i should get a sex change?

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
i always get blokey scores too on these kinds of test. bring it on for geeza birds we rock!

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
I also balanced out genderless, but overall it looks to me as though I came out female in most of the tests, odd... did score quite male-ly on the spatial reasoning ones though.

Angles: 18/20 - more male
Spot the difference: 71% - more female
Hands: right on top
Empathising: 17/20: female
Systemising: 6/20: more female and slightly depressed at how bad I apparently am at this... it's probably because i'm such an emotional type that this is getting me down.... or the fact that I just don't like board games at all and prefer games where I'm running around brutally massacring aliens with a shotgun... biggrin
Eyes: 7/10: more female
Fingers: left-1.0 right-1.02 - more female
prefer more feminine faces in men
18 words in total - off-the-charts-female and apparently talk rather a lot! smile Either that or have weak grasp of english language and filled in complete [censored] smile
Ultimatum: divided even, so leaning towards feminine

Not sure what to make of this... I would rate myself as more feminine, and that's what I score on a lot of the tests, but for some reason it still came out neutral.

everyone's unique except me

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol I've got a female brain... maybe that's because I was raised without a dad, am into juggling, drawing and arts - at least I LOVE political and ethical discussions shrug wink

Maybe someone should repeat this test once or twice - not because one would reject the result of the test, but because it's pretty hard to say: NOW, TEST! And this is what YOU are!

(yepp, right now in this very moment - but with more sleep and different environmental condiitons...) wink smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Just took the test again out of interest to what firetom said...and apparently today i'm completely in the middle....

Really interested is this Tao, thanks for posting it!

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
I did a test similar to this ages ago and got 50/50. Did it last week and 50/50 again.

Wouldn't say you that you are genderless - but the best bits of both genders smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
dualism.... ?!?

Both, men and women have both principles in their minds at the same time. One more, one less dominant... Depending on MANY circumstances and conditions...

Some even feel trapped within their bodies and want to change their gender, as it doesn't express the way they feel... undergo severe suffering in this condition.

My compassion goes out to those who suffer hug and I wish that there was more understanding, tolerance and acceptance for people who just happen to be "trapped" in "another" body...

Yes ditto thanks Tao for posting this...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
I'm also exactly in the middle.
I know some of these assessments from my work. Not convinced that they have been verified for accuracy using a computer screen.
The Baron-Cohen eyes one, for example, I do well on when it's on the page, but didn't do so well this time.
By the way, one of my favourites facts is that Simon Baron-Cohen, who is a big big name in Autism and Aspergers research is the cousin of Sasha Baron Cohen, Ali G. biggrin

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
that took way to long to rediscover that I'm a male. I'm gonna make my own sex test. it will consist of one question. inny or outy? and I'm not talking about your belly button.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.