Forums > Social Chat > Rant about Travel Agents

Login/Join to Participate

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I've been going to see a travel agent about my [Old link] and the moment I met my agent I got these dodgy vibes from him.

When I first paid for my flights I didn't bother about cheques. I just used my card, but he told me I couldn't use my card because there's a daily $1000 limit on my bank's cards. Which is fair enough I think. So I had to go to my bank, provide all this I.D and withdraw over 2 grand in cash. That was weird!

As far as I know, he hasn't actually done anything dodgy yet so it might all be my imagination.

I went to him yesterday to book my contiki tour around Europe and I asked him if they take cheques. He said 'Oh.....not really ...' followed by some lame excuse about it taking months for Contiki to clear the cheque. 'You can if you want ...but I wouldn't advise it'

Dad even went in there today, pretended he was interested in a holiday, she gave him all the catalogues etc and then he asked her if they accepted cheques and she said 'yeah that's fine!'

confused

I don't know if my travel agent is being dodgy, I've been researching prices etc and so far it doesn't look like he's ripped me off. It was only me having to pay for flights in cash that seemed dodgy. And I have to go back there today or tomorrow to pay for my Contiki tour in cash too....that or I just give him a cheque even though they 'don't really accept' them.

Also, one of the girls at work told me Monday night that they all get commission on all the bonus stuff they can convince you to do. Do anyone know if this is true?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Roar - if I'd be you, I'd just go there with my dad and hand over a cheque. If they won't accept it I'd go somewhere else...

Dunno about the privison-scheme, but I'd guess they make more money on what they sell overhead...

hug don't let this riun your travel experience smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
pay with a bank cheque hun. Dont carry a huge amount of money around...or put the money on your Dads Credit card and then pay with that...

or just as Tom suggests...go to another travel agent...

did you get reciepts?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Sounds dodgy to me. Next time, I'd say to go with your dad, and be headstrong about it. if they want your business, you'll be surprised at what they will change their minds about!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah I've kept all the receipts.

And I can't go in with Dad cos he was in there earlier pretending he wanted a holiday just so he could find out about the cheque thing. It would be a bit rude if Dad came in with me after that!

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but being a bit rude is fair enough if they're being a bit dodgy/difficult with you!

Its things like this that convinced me to book my Oz trip online. (That, and I never seem to be able to get to a travel agent)

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i dont think it's being rude, i think it's being sneaky. maybe not even sneaky so much as "well looky here, we caught you out!"

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
it's not even sneaky - it's reacting to a suspicion and verifying - caught them red-handed...

In Asia you couldn't go there even one more time - but you're not living in Asia... in the "West" we can put it into other peoples faces that they are acting like censored and that we know...

shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
err... it sounds more like tax avoidance than anything for the company. if its a small company they're probably just trying to keep as much in cash as possible so they can indulge in some creative accountancy at the end of the financial year.

i agree with Gabe - use a bank cheque - its safer from your own accountability, and also safer than carrying a couple of grand in your purse smile

dont be concerned about being rude. You are their client - they should treat you with respect and not try to take advantage of their clients with unrealistic demands. Your paying them to provide you with a service - its not as if you owe anything to them.
hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ArnwynSILVER Member
old hand
1,065 posts

Posted:
Roar, i am as of next year a fully qualified travel agent...so, yes the agency the agent works for gets a commission off everything they sell you, not just the bonus stuff they get you to do, but the actual agent themselves dont get to pocket the money - basically it is how the agency makes a profit and is able to pay their staff. You should be able to pay with a cheque for EVERYTHING you have booked thru an agent on your tour/trip, you do not have to use cash if you dont want. Although cash can make it a little quicker for the bookings to be confirmed, eg, not waiting for cheques to clear, funds to transfer from credit cards etc - it does not affect anything you have booked.
I am not saying this guy IS doing a dodgy on you, but this is my expereince and obviously what i am being taught thru my course. As for places not accepting cheques - this in my experience total censored. the only thing i can think of is if the agency themselves do not accept cheques - this would have nothing to do with Contiki tours.
Hope this helps.

L&L
The Fairy God Mother
~*~

" i just now need some other unsuspecting suckers to say something... " ~Rouge Dragon

"that wink was a nice one not a im going to thrust at you wink" ~Brettstar

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
It could also be something along the lines of 'ah, she's only young, this is gonna bounce a mile' and saving themselves time by not bothering. It's nasty, but it does happen.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Ah. I've copped that 'she's only young, let's try and rip her off!' thing too many times!

*mutters something about volkswagan car dealers*

But yeah, anyway, I'm going to book it tomorrow, I'll probably end up just paying cash...hmm

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
yeah, but at car dealers you an get it cos you are female...its been proven!