Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > What do you think the best liquid to burn is?

Login/Join to Participate

Richie81newbie
2 posts

Posted:
What do you think the bust liquid to burn is? Ive heard its kerosine since its thicker then meths or somethin but im not sure if theres other liquids that burn longer or work better.

Any suggestions?

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
clicky clicky

[Old link]

Welcome to HoP smile Before you post a new topic you should try doing a search. Topics like this have been discussed many times before

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
which country are you based in?
that tends to have alot to do with what paople say is best eg what you can get easily,
over here in NZ its usually kerosene or pegasol

Are you up for it?
wink;)

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Water. If you can make a fully oxidised fuel burn, you'll be the greatest spinner ever!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
PETROL!!!!!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

NeserGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
 Written by: afghan_bingo

PETROL!!!!!

I seriously hope you're joking, or at least referring to something completely different. Petrol/Gasoline has a very low flash point - and as such can explode . Not only does it endanger yourself, but others around you.

Thread about it here: [Old link]
-----
There's an article right here on HoP with regards to which fuel to use.
Which Fuel?

When selecting the fuel, always check the MSDS . You want something which has a higher flash point, for example, Kerosene/(parrafin I think its also reffered to?) is most commonly used as it can be easily obtained, and it has a high flash point.

Fire Safety

Some also use Whitegas, however due to its lower flash point, if you choose to use this, care MUST be taken. I personally wouldnt use it as I wouldnt want to risk any damage or injury happening as a result of negligence. When using it DO NOT re-dip your quicks right after they've gone out. Wait about a minute or so (some say less, I'd rather be safe then sorry) until they've cooled down.

Lastly, a quick [Old link] for any more topics regarding fuel type may help you as well, as others have shared their experiences/thoughts on fuel types.
weavesmiley
~ Neser

Fuel your fascination, burn your desire and dance with flames

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Drudwyn

Water. If you can make a fully oxidised fuel burn, you'll be the greatest spinner ever!

wouldnt that burn as pure hydrogen which is a colourless flame? biggrin =P

Just call me Pop.

116 posts

Posted:
if im right then parraffin has a flash point of around 37C and 40C depening on humidity and petrol has a flash point of around 45C so there isnt much difference in flash point, but the problem is the violent nature of petrol ignition and the force with which it burns. nonetheless the first time i lit my staff it was soaked in petrol (birthday present, not my choice) and i was slightly inebriated, and i didnt burn myself. not that i would advise it for regualar use, but wether its petrol or parrafin youre still playing with fire, and both can burn you badly

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Richie81

What do you think the bust liquid to burn is?
Any suggestions?

err..................i'd hazzard a guess and say water and lemonade arent the best liquid to burn biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Wheeemember
33 posts

Posted:
 Written by: afghan_bingo

if im right then parraffin has a flash point of around 37C and 40C depening on humidity and petrol has a flash point of around 45C so there isnt much difference in flash point, but the problem is the violent nature of petrol ignition and the force with which it burns. nonetheless the first time i lit my staff it was soaked in petrol (birthday present, not my choice) and i was slightly inebriated, and i didnt burn myself. not that i would advise it for regualar use, but wether its petrol or parrafin youre still playing with fire, and both can burn you badly

No, no, no.

Paraffin's flash point is around 90 degrees C.
Petrol's is around -40 degrees C (thats minus 40!)

The most likely fuel I can think of with a flash point around +40 degrees is white spirit.

(all fuel names using UK terminology)

116 posts

Posted:
ahh yes, i see, my mistake.

petrols still fun though!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Shell Sol TK burns with a more pleasant smell than d60, and burns not as hot.. hooray!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

butternewbie
8 posts

Posted:
whats wrong with just parrafin?

116 posts

Posted:
nowt, theres just more fun fluids around!

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
If you're in the UK you can find 'Torch Oil' in Homebase. Designed for those open flame torches for gardens that use a wick. It smells less than parafin and still burns fine. Bout £1 a litre or so.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
torch oil has more unhealthy chemicals added to it,plain parrafin is best............i think