Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I get this message every 5 or 10 minutes. Now I went to the site and got this thing called winfix, but it wont let me fix them until ive registerd the product which I dont have the money to do right now.

Does anyone know something that really will let you fix them for free? Or just how to turn of the messages im getting. Its annoying as hell because it minimzes whatever im doing everytime they pop up. Ive just formated my pc a few hours ago and I got them right after the format was done. This is one of them

Non-Https Image Link

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Ahha. You have a freind called Chris. smile

Right. I theenk you may have picked up spyware. Always fun. Do not download winfix. Its bogus.

This will help: https://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102036
smile

-edit- Right, a quick look at Wikipedia gave some good info.

The best bit was this link: https://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/winfixer.html
which gives instructions on how to remove it. It does, however, look stupidly complicated, and I'd advise making a system restore point etc in case something goes wrong.
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1143152390)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
It's even more simple than this - it's not a virus or spyware, just windows!

Right click My Computer > go to manage > services and applications > services then double click messanger and change the start up type to disabled. Then stop it.

That should stop it - if it's already disabled then I guess it is a virus / spyware...

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
By the way - you really should get firefox

It wont stop this problem, but it will help you stop getting more.... hug

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ah man spyware? How lame ive been to 6 websites since formating my pc today those are

homeofpoi

photobucket

wannadoo.co.uk

anchor deep forums

google search - msn messenger

msn.com

mad2

Thanks for the replys guys, and star for the pm kiss
EDITED_BY: Brit_Joe (1143156972)

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Ah man spyware?

confused rolleyes Did you follow what I said?

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I hope you've sorted it but if you haven't this is what I did...

Typically I use firefox but if I'm on IE i set the privacy options high as.... eg. I have to allow a cookie to be set manually before I can

Clear all cookies Then

Internet Options ->Privacy Tab -> click advanced tab
set to prompt for 1st & 3rd party cookies ->click apply then ok

Close IE then reopen

You'll end up with afew to allow which can be annoying

but when anything to do with Winfix comes up, tick box that says block all cookies from this website.

There will be 2 or 3 different cookies for WInfix to block

After you've done that, reset privacy options back to accept 1st party cookies without prompt.

After that I had no probs with Winfix & never bothered to download it...
smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
The messages you've been getting have nothing to do with the windows messenger service, the title just makes them look like genuine windows messages, when in fact they are caused by spyware. It's highly unlikely that MS is going to send you messages that recommend someone elses software.

Winfix make two programs, the bit that maliciously installs itself and gives you these fake messages, and a part you have to pay for, that probably won't do anything about the messages, and is more than likely a ripped off and broken version of someone elses anti spyware software with a different interface.

There are a lot of bogus anti spyware programs that you have to register like this that are advertised by the companies own spyware. My brother's computer has one called spyfalcon which is a real pain to get rid of.

FRD has the right idea. Getting rid of these things is sometimes extremely difficult, as they come up with new versions soon after someone comes up with a way to fix them.

You should definately install Firefox, and then disable IE: Start > Set Program Access and Defaults > Click the arrows by Custom > uncheck the 'Enable access to this program' box for IE and click the circle for FireFox.

Anti spyware programs you can trust are:

Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad Aware SE
Ewido

The first two are free, and are pretty good at removing 99% of spyware. The last one shuts down some features after 14 days, if you don't register, but still scans and removes, and seems to be better at removing some of the harder ones.

Get them from download.com so you can be sure they're not fakes.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

The messages you've been getting have nothing to do with the windows messenger service, the title just makes them look like genuine windows messages, when in fact they are caused by spyware. It's highly unlikely that MS is going to send you messages that recommend someone elses software.

I don't know - I used to get loads of messages like this which kept popping up even after a few spyware scans from assorted scanners. The only way I found to get rid of them was turning the windows messaging off, which cut all of them out completely.
Even straight after a format and reinstall, I've been hit with them, until I turn the windows messaging off again.

It's not MS that's sending you the messages though - it's winregfix.net using the rather large hole in windows security that was left open for them.
I don't remember if I got any messages from them, but I certainly got loads from other people that were effectively saying 'visit this site, pay us money and download our spyware, then we'll stop sending you these bloody annoying messages'.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The windows messaging service is turned on by default in pre SP2 installs - it may be the same in SP2 installs but I've never done one.

You can stop it in less than a minute with no extra software if you follow what I said above, or you can follow what people have said in the Spyware Thread in the same forum as this - I will bump it now...

ubbangel

10,530 posts

Posted:
See, I had exactly the same problem a whiles ago, and following removal instructions on the net works a treat.

Just turning off the messages wouldn't really fix it. The stuff would still be there.

Right?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The messanger service is a way for network admins to push out messages over the networlk. In Windows XP (and maybe 2000....anyone?) it's turned on by default and it doesn't limit itself to the local network. This means that anyone who knows your IP address can send you any message they like (assuming thay have UDP ports 135, 137, 138 and or TCP ports 135, 139, 445 open).

Because it's quite easy to guess an IP (once you find the range of an ISP you can just work from 2 to 255 within the it) spammers use programms to message every IP on a network. This is all we are seeing here. The message you are seeing has nothing to do with anything at all - I could send you any message at all if I knew your IP address.

Your advice about fixing the problems is very good, but it's nothing to do with this problem, as the only problem (to do with this message anyway) is the messagner service.

However, the fact that messager service is turned on tells me that the whole computer isn't very well guarded - so getting some antispyware software and firefox would be very advisable!

hug

10,530 posts

Posted:
Ahha!

I see. I misread the image. I didn't see the "messneger service" in the top bar, nor the "Message from system to adminisrator".

So I'm going to go ahead and say my bad! and blame it on my dyslexia. wink

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
hehe, well my dyslexia managed to work it out wink ubblol

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
IE/FIREFOX QUESTION: I use firefox as my default browser but occassionally links open up in the Internet Explorer, especially if I click my email inbox going via MSN Messenger, is there a way of making MSN Messenger use Firefox as the browser to access your inbox

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh I got it fixed, Star sent me a pm to the most wonderfull piece of software called System Mechanic Professional 6. You can download the FULL version for a thirty day trial period without having to buy any serial codes. Its got some really fantastico features im gonna buy this when I get some money.

Thanks star, extra kisses to you kiss

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Will >> Fifth paragraph of my post above should knock out IE and stop it from opening from most other programs, although it's still used as part of the windows help system, among other things, so you can't get rid of it completely.
EDITED_BY: polarity (1143338542)

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Cheers polarity, it hasnt worked yet but I think that's prob cos I need to restart (which I cant do yet) I use Spydoctor, the full version, would you suggest otherwise?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
AFIK you can't stop MSN messagner opening IE windows at all - your only option is to use gaim or some other IM program...

There are many ideas in the spyware thread, but I've found I don't need to use anything other than ad-aware and some times Spybot. Microsofts program is actually very good. Either way, I don't think you should have to pay for anything, adaware is free for personnal use

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Just checked MSN 7.5, and the links in the 'go to' section (MSN Home Page and My Inbox) opened up in Firefox and Thunderbird. It is possible Hotmail inboxes will open in IE, as they may require IE specific functions to work to MS' standards (Can't check as I don't have a hotmail account).

If you don't need video messaging then there are few reasons not to use an alternative to MSN. I use Miranda because it's got an unobtrusive interface, and uses plugins for extra networks + functions, so it doesn't hog resources either. I have MSN on my laptop for other people to use, as the downside to Miranda is that everyone elses contacts get added to my contacts list if they use it.

I'm with Sym on the whole spyware program front. You shouldn't be paying for software.

Normally when a piece of spyware is released it takes a bit of time before someone comes up with a way to remove it, and then the method gets posted on the net on a page like FRD mentioned above. As soon as this happens the people who made that spyware can make a new version that can't be removed by that method.

The Spyware removal software may take longer to include the removal method than it takes the spyware makers to adapt to it, so at best you may only get a weeks head start on them, and you end up paying for something that can only remove the old versions.

Not much help to the less technical users, who don't want to go hunting through the registry and file system for spyware files similarly named to vital system components, but would rather have a program do it all for them.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit Joe

Thanks star

Without being rude Joe.... *sentence deleted* umm

I could work out what your problem was without even seeing the picture as I have had to sort it in the past and, to be honest, was worried the first time I saw it thinking spyware had somehow managed to wriggle its way onto a totally clean and fresh installation.. So i googled it and learnt out how to fix it. And did so.

Then Sym answers your question in the most simple terms he could, and yet, you seem to totally misunderstand him. You then dont even answer the question he asked, but proceed to thank someone else for providing an answer..... but not to your question. umm

Seems a bit like Norman Kembit not thanking the SAS for rescuing him...but instead thanking the kidnappers for having not killed him. shrug

I think....

oh..and "You can download the FULL version for a thirty day trial period"..

erm.. if its a thirty day trial period... its not the full version... wink

and dont spend money on it... go find a crack. Go google " *name of software here and version number* + crack".

But be careful, a few of the crack sites are set up with spyware and whatnots int he crack you download. If I were you, I wouldnt open ANY programes, but rather a .txt file.

Anyway.. its raining outside and I want to jump in the puddles... bounce

listen to us geeks and nerds...we know what we are talking about and if we dont, we make it sound like we do... wink

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

the most wonderfull piece of software called System Mechanic Professional 6.

What does it actually do?

Does it really do things better than the completely free (not just a trial) software that's out there?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Erm I dont know, ive never come across any free software that actually does anything up until now, plus they all sneakily told me I had to register to fix what they found.

Woops sorry sym I didnt notice your question, I didnt do what you said I forgot too do it in the end, all I did was download the programa and run through the options. It stopped all those messages straight away (was getting three different ones all pointing me out to other websites using simalar sort of messages)

You know UraniumChipOxidationFacility, you didnt have to fly off the handle, I had just forgotten to thank everyone else who offerd help too. Thanks everyone kiss

10,530 posts

Posted:
"Erm I dont know, ive never come across any free software that actually does anything up until now, plus they all sneakily told me I had to register to fix what they found."

Does one have to put it in bold lettering before anyone takes any notice?

It has been mentioned in this thread, and the "adaware and spyware thread.

Spybot: Search and Destroy and adaware SE

I actually wonder if you read any of the posts that were put up in order to help you. Perchance they were too long and you lost interest? umm

" I had just forgotten to thank everyone else who offerd help too."

I don't think its ever a bad thing to "fly off the handle" and point out a common coutersy...

rolleyes

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I actually wonder if you read any of the posts that were put up in order to help you. Perchance they were too long and you lost interest? umm

So im a liar basicly? Ide just told you ide forgotten to thank everyone for there help, but you seem to know that that isnt true. What told you that eh? You got a magic-8 ball in your head?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
now now kiddies...lets have none of that, it'll all end in tears.

spank

Joe, I'm glad its sorted out - remember, you don't need to pay for anything as all the software you need is out there for free, without you having to crack anything - just look in the other thread for some great software (I think adaware is best)

hug

10,530 posts

Posted:
"What told you that eh? You got a magic-8 ball in your head?"

No. It just looks blatantly obvious, what with free good software being mentioned in this thread 2 or 3 times, and yet that kind of info is ignored.....

"So im a liar basicly?"

Isn't this termed as "flying off the handle"?

"but you seem to know that that isnt true."

All I'm saying is that you ignored some really helpful advice. Sym, Polarity and UCOF know what they're talking about, and yet it doesn't seem like you read they're post in full, if at all. Becuase you neither thanked them properly, or followed their advice.

Ho-hum.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Spybot: Search and Destroy and adaware SE

I'm going to add AVG Anti-Virus to that list too, it's free and works very well.

I looked up the System Mechanic Professional software - all I could make out was that it's a firewall that comes with a virus scanner.
Instead of paying for it when the trial runs out, I'd recommend getting AVG for the virus scanning, but since it's been a while since I looked for a free firewall, can anyone else point us to any good ones?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Joe.. smile
I didnt fly off the handle, I was smiling and giggling when I wrote that post, I wasnt angry at all smile
I havent properly flown off the handle and had a massive rant at anyone on HOP to my knowledge. smile
I will never do that as it takes time for people to defend themselves via the medium of the internet. smile
But honestly, I was just pointing out what it appeared to me had happened. smile

hug2

*leaves it out*

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Doesn't have fire wall but kicks out spyware and adware well
Avast Anti Virus seems to be allright and free. Home license for year with rego key and database updates a plenty - has worked for me great since I installed it smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

listen to us geeks and nerds...we know what we are talking about and if we dont, we make it sound like we do... wink

Well said wink

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Page: