Forums > Meet Others > I'm coming to New Zealand in April

Login/Join to Participate

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone -
I just joined the forum last week and I'm fairly frikkin amazed at the number of spinny people that seem to be inhabit of New Zealand. So cool.

Anyway, I've been planning a trip to NZ for like a year and a half and I finally managed to wheedle the time off. I'm flying into Nelson Sunday, April 9 and will fly out from there on the 25th.

My original intention remains the same, just to do a walkabout around the southern island and have a look around since everyone I know who's been there and told me you simply have to see the place, and since my old country people maybe chose to move to Canada over New Zealand or Austrailia probably due to whatever ship happened to be in harbor at the time.

I'd really like to meet as many people as possible down your way and hang a bit, and talk and spin some. I'm totally bringing my sticks and poi. I've got a pair of kevlar wicks that have never ever seen fuel so I'm pretty sure I can fly in one of my firestaffs without having it confiscated by homeland security (I hope).

I'm also a folk musician and I'm travelling with my guitar and mandolin. I've been practicing new sets for spring (here) for months and months and I'd love to do some shows while I'm in New Zealand. If anyone has tips, connections, contact info on any rooms or even campfires I might be able to play, please let me know.
I've got a new press kit coming in the next few days because of the shows I'm trying to set up in the states come May. I have no time or desire to get in trouble with the New Zealand government and hassle with work permits, so any shows I'd do down there would be free to all. If nothing comes of this, cool, I'm happy to be there anyway, but I've been practicing so hard all winter and I'd really love to play, and I would of course love to jam also with any who love to just jam.

Whew!

I'm still confused onto how exactly our clocks sync up and I only get really a few minutes out of six or seven hours a day to be on the internet, so if my response time to anything seems kinda slow, it's because of that, and because I'm a slow person anyway.

I'm really looking forward to my leaving. In my mind I am already so gone.

Scott

flaming_daisySILVER Member
commander of coffee
31 posts

Posted:
Yo!

Come to Wellington!!!!!

We have a pretty cool fire scene here. We have a few live music bars and I am sure we could help sort out a few gigs when you get here.

Tash

Did you know if a pigeon doesn't bob its head when it is walking, it will fall over...

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
While you're in the South Island, come and check out Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world and home to many fire jugglers. weavesmiley

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Hi All -

I'm sure I'm going to be passing through Queenstown around mid-April I imagine. So yeah, I'd love to check out the scene there.

Wellington sounds like a cool place, but it might be kind of tricky to get there at this point. My itenerary is that I'm flying into Nelson, making my way down around the South Island counter-clockwise and then flying back out of Nelson and home again.

Right now the cost of catching a flight from the South Island to the North and back again so I can catch my flight out I'm afraid might be too rich for my blood. A lot of the mad spendy money I had set aside for this trip got used up this past month on unexpected bills.

I am interested in building as many contacts down your way as possible, and if it's like here it's a matter of discovering which towns support a scene and which kinda don't.

I am planning a seperate North Island trip at some point in the future as I've been told you can spend weeks and weeks on either island and only see a smattering.

After a shakedown climb yesterday, I had to make a hard decision; guitar or mandolin - I can't really get both on my pack with all my other gear I need to live. I think mandolin is going to win out.

Scott

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Well seeing as you're so close, you may as well make time to come to Australia as well... *hopefull look*

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
I'm definately going to Australia soon. It's right up there at the top of my list of places I ain't yet been, but really wanna go. That's probably gonna be my big kahuna trip next year.

If I had more money or time right now, I would definately try and make it to Australia this time out. Your country totally rocks.

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
I think it is a wise decision to leave your guitar at home as there are so many of them around NZ as it is, but Mandolin's are hard to come by. Look into ferry crossings from Picton to Wellington. It is a three hour journey from one island to the other and a good time to catch up on sleep. Then you can come play fire with us :-) (on a Tuesday)

g

Tuesday, Frank Kitts Park, Wgtn

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
and hit up the Mussel Inn if you make it to Golden Bay as a place to play. It is a fantastic venue

g

commander of coffee
31 posts

Posted:
OMG!!! I remember the mussel inn!!! we had a geology trip to takaka and onekaka, that was the only pub, and I am sure we made a decent dent in their beer supplies!!!

If I remember rightly its around $40 to jump on the ferry!!

*grin*

Did you know if a pigeon doesn't bob its head when it is walking, it will fall over...

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
yeah, and if you bring in a possums tail they give you a free beer (they make their own, really yummy)

commander of coffee
31 posts

Posted:
hell yes!!!

I love the manuka beer... I am guilty of drinking more than my fair share of beer and eating more than someone my size should be able to...

If you walk up the hill a bit towards takaka from there, there is a small dodgy looking path that has alot of glow worms.

Also in my fab-u-lous geological travels, we went on a bit of a walk up a rather large hill, there were some awesome views of fairwell spit. there were lots of cool rock things to look at if you are that way inclined...

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Okay, you've almost got me convinced I should make it up there to Wellington.

Where is Golden Bay? I haven't been able to find it on my maps.

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Hey, advise me. I'm sleeping out most nights. Should I bring my mosquito netting? I'm trying to shed weight off my pack and ditch whatever I don't really need.

misslucygBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
mozzy netting for the west coast is always a good idea in my books, but otherwise I'd ditch it..
I'm in Christchurch.. or maybe I'll be visiting welli at some point around then (HI GRIFF)
But get in touch thru private message if ya like and I'll give you my cel number, might be able to sort out a room for you, it is getting a little cold, or rather the weather's just weird hot, cold, rainy, whatever, I don't know what the season is!
ps golden bay is Takaka up top of the south island pretty much

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Way Cool! Thanks for all the help, ya'll.

The first place I was planning to tramp was the Abel Tasman which ends up right near Takaka. Mussel Inn, eh?

I think maybe I'd try to catch a Picton to Wellington ferry right before I left for home. If I got up there on a Tuesday like you were talking about it might be a little tricky though - I gotta be back in Nelson by Wednesday to catch my flight out, but I could get to Wellington a bit earlier I guess.

Do you really think there's a place in Wellington I could play? That would be sweet.

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
Your best bet for playing music in wgtn at such short notice would be an open mic night. saying that though I am not sure if they are still happening. ok, that is not to helpful. Um, Happy has a acoustic night on Thursday's (but that doesn't fit into your schedule) so that is about it.

Abel Tasman is a great walk. I am quite frankly jealous

g

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Pm me before you hit qtwn, but be warned, the cold air does strange things to people, like running around with burning things, oh wait, I'm one of those people ubbloco

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
im putting another vote in the come-to-wellington box, bro.

yeh!

see you soon

ps the ferry crossing is absolutely beautiful. if you like lovely scenery, you dont want to miss out on this.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Okay -

It is the 15 of April.I am here in Takaka.I am heading back towards Nelson and Picton tomorrow.My cell is 1-208-440-0813. Call or write me with Wellington contact info. I will call you. Otherwise I will be in Wellington by Tuesday and bummed!

Scott

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Crap!

It turns out my cell phone does not work in NZ. I should have read the fine print. I am in Motueka today, Sunday, and will wend my way to Nelson tomorrow and then Picton. From there I will either head north to Wellingington if I hear from anyone in Wellington, or else I will head south towards Nelson Lakes.

Any creative ideas about how I can hook up with anyone, I'd be happy to hear. If I get any phone numbers I will get a local NZ calling calling card.

Sand fly bites are driving me nuts.

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
o o im in nelson!! dam i wish i read this earlyer!

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
so yeah if you want to meet up with anyone in nelson diff give me a call. iv PMd you both my numbers and if you cant get hold of me at home just leave me a msg. yeah if your phone is from the states and not a tri-band phone it wont work over here.
would be really wicked to catch up if your keen for it. im sure my mate scotty would be keen to hook up as well. hes feeling a bit under the weather but he managed tomake it out to the full moon drumming lastnight so id say your chances are high.
good luck smile (and nelson is a really beautiful place to vist if they weather is nice ... do you like kayaking? i might be able to rustel something up depending on when your here...)

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Hi!

I am going to try some kyacking on Monday up in Able Tasman. I'm trying to figure out what to do this next weekend - I'm probably coming back down from Nelson Lakes on Friday.

Is Kaikoura a cool place to hang?

Scott

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Kaikoura is a really cool place, so much to do, so little time, not sure about the juggling community there, but there's some truly outstanding diving if your interested. If your lucky the whales will be around too.

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tip. I heard there's a really nice surf break there too.

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
well Scott, hope you had a great time in NZ. Did you play many gigs?

scottsukottonewbie
24 posts

Posted:
I had a killer time in NZ. I played a couple house shows, a couple of lodge shows, an Irish bar in Picton and a campfire show for a bunch of paddlers in Anchorage Cove.

I got hold of a promoter who's hopefully gonna help me put together an actual tour through NZ and OZ in 2007. Wellington will definately be on the list!