jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
I have two cats, the other day I remembered the old saying "There's not enougth room in here to swing a cat" This gave me a briliant idea. Has anyone else tried to do poi with live animals? I think chickens would do well tied on string or snakes work quite well but I think thats been done before.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
lol, check out the archives..This has been discussed before..But the top of my list would be chihuaha's(not very aerodynamic, but I got a score to settle neh), n chinchillas(very aerodynamic, fluffy enough to hold fuel for a good 10 min burn)

Cats would be tough cuz they would mess up your spins by continuously turning to correct themselves in the air. Not to mention wraps would be out due to the claws.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
Meow! thump! meow! thump! Meow! thump!...
You're right, there's not enough room to swing a cat in here! (but boy howdy would that make a good graemlin)

smoochies,
-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I remember talk before of putting gyroscopes in toys such as poi. The cartoon like circular frantic clawing action and self righting ability of cats would be similar to the qualities people were hopeing for in gyro toys.

[ 03. January 2003, 03:51: Message edited by: Astar ]

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
this also brings in the old question about perpetual motion:

first we have the facts:

1) cats always land on their feet

2) open faced peanut butter (or vegemite, tried it with that once too) sandwhiches always land face down. (side note, the more expensive the flooring, the bigger the splat)

so, what would happen if you taped an open faced peanut butter sandwhich, open face up, to the back of a cat and threw it out the window?

my theorem is that at a point equidistant between the window and the ground the cat/sandwhich combo would slow to a halt and spin of it's own accord, as each tried to hit the ground. at this point a small axle could be attached, and i believe this cat/sandwhich combo could power a small town.

research into the use of these mechanisms as a gyro is still underway, and results are promising provided we can a) keep the cat alive whilst it's spinning (it may cease to be, at this point perpetual energy)and b) keep the peanut butter from being slung off the bread

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
awww, you can't put graemlins in your sig.

smoochies,
-Rhys

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
How about spinning plants? You know, potted plants?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
well, it would be interesting, as they would constantly get lighter as clods of dirt fell off, but that could also look like a speeding up effect. which plants would be best? ivy? you could probably use a potted tree for staff routines (once you got most of the dirt and root ball knocked off)

-Rhys

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
the cats would have your goddamned eyes out, better stick with gekko lizards you beasts!!!

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
heheheheheheheheheheh (hehehehe allways looks really evil on the internet)

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Mr Coffee - you had me in stitches! Coffee came out of my nose when I read the "power a small town" bit.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
promiscuous felines. psh.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Coffee:
open faced peanut butter (or vegemite, tried it with that once too) sandwhiches always land face down. (side note, the more expensive the flooring, the bigger the splat)
Mr. Coffee, I propose that, in addition, if the device were deployed over a particularly lush carpet, you could actually power a very large city. If a silk carpet could be constructed, we might be able to power entire countries with this invention.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Mr. Coffee you do relize that there is a scientific reason behind why the open faced s.w. always lands face down right?

*eck ehm*
*puts glasses on the end of my nose and consults notes*

Frost's Sandwich splat Theorum:
It has been the general observation of scientists around the world that objects in flight, unless altered be some external reaction (for example: Bernoulli's Principal which describes how the wings of an airplane create lift) will always land mass down if enough time (t) is given for the object to orient to true freefall (f). Therefore I propose the following:
Where O is Object and p is the objects flight path

If t > f then p = f

a open faced pb sandwich has greatest mass on the pb side.

therefore and open faced pb sandwich in freefall will land pb down.

[ 09. January 2003, 15:14: Message edited by: Frost ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I too have hear dof the cat pb theory,I beleive nasa is trying to use it to create an anti grav feild.something about adjusting the amount of pb.or the length of the cats legs to raise or lower the ride heigth.

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Sorry you guys. I've just tried the cat/peanut butter thing and, well, it's just kind of messy.

Damn cool idea though

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
dr.noodle, did you use jif? choosy moms choose jif for a reason you know. also i think you have to suprise the cat.

frost, i can only assume that your information applies to inanimate objects, as cat's land on their feet, whereas the mass is at the top end. that and i think peanut butter is alive.

i'm not sure about the silk carpet, but i know tha for awhile the russians spun a cat above a cashmiere (sp?) rug for awhile. once the peanut butter dried out, they resorted to nuclear fission, and well, people used to cat-power don't make good nuclear physicists.[poor taste] chernoybl will never be the same again...[/poor taste]

-Rhys

[ 10. January 2003, 13:41: Message edited by: Mr.Coffee ]

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flash fire:
Mr Coffee - you had me in stitches! Coffee came out of my nose when I read the "power a small town" bit.
same here but replace coffee with mouth full of diet coke

ew my keboard is all sticky now
hang n thats not diet coke
ew
*looks around my office*
all right who has been using my computer??

ive swungf a cat before but that was becaus ei was trying to get him to let go of m arm after my cat atacked me

he let go and sail 5 meters before landing on his feet my arm wasnt to crash hot though

the teeth marks on my rist where the most impresive

[ 10. January 2003, 19:04: Message edited by: brainstorma ]

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ok, so i have heard somewhere that ICE counteracts peanut butter on carpets, and its quite easy to remove the sticky substance.

Therefore, i put it to you, that to sabotage a spinning cat powered city would be quite easy. Merely place a block of ice below the cat, the force on the pb side of it would significantly diminish, and the cat would land feet side down.

Of course, then you would end up with a lot of cats with broken legs... Ice is very dangerous you know....

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
You people are sick, but you still have a long while to catch up to me. Ich esse meine Haustiere

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach