Cpt_ThunderpantsBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
hello
i saw some videos on this site and thought i want to do that to
so i took a broomstick and sawd it of at 120 cm
Most of the time it roles of my thumb
would this problem decrease if i bought one?

I see everything twice!

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
if you mean it rolls off your thumb due to a lack of grip, then yes, buying a good staff would help (as they come with grips) however you could always just put a grip on the broom handle. I just use tennis or golf grip tape. Can buy it at any good sports store. Typically grips ok.

If you mean that it rolls off your thumb because it goes flying out of your hand, then no, buying one will not help, practice will.

good luck.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I originally learnt most of my staff with a piece of bamboo, that not only didnt have any grip, but was also unevenly weighted. I found that grip was less important than weighting at the ends of the stick. Old bike inner tube works best for this. The extra weight will make the stick a lot easier to control.

Grip is the next thing on the list, and whilst which is the best sort is a matter of opinion (and several threads on here - have a search for "staff grip" and you'll be laughing), I prefer tennis racquet handle grip tape - available at most sports shops.

Welcome to the dark side.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
in my opinion store bought staffs are generally too light (the metal ones anyway), my staff is a broom handle thats bee slightly modded to take fire. the whole rolling off thing is probably due to malpractise, it jsut takes a bit of time to get used to the physics of the staff in question. happy spinning

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Cpt_ThunderpantsBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
thank you
i think i'll tune the broom

I see everything twice!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Stripe, NOS, Sub, Spolier, Alloys, Furry dice.
You know the drill.

Non-Https Image Link

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
hahaha a bosch power drill can do anything!

TwirlyGirlyGOLD Member
7 posts

Posted:
har har har the idear of Boy racer broom sticks... man i've gota get one of thous to spin!
I've already decided that mine should have 'Sat Nav' to help me err.... limit the amount of staff retrival i'm currently encouring - practic practice and all!

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
why not try a martial arts/some sort of hardwood staff and put aluminium pipe and kevlar on the ends?

they can last for years that way, and if u need to u can wack your friends if they diss your moves lol.

i like a wood called tawa in new zealand; its hard, slightly (ever so slightly) whippy and not to heavy.

i had a real good staff of that once, unbreakable except through massive mistreatment...................

what about nashi wood?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
just some inspiration if you love kung fu films is this........

https://www.dvdcult.com/rev_HellStaff.htm

the main bloke i'm on about is hwang jang li or "thunder leg" this guy is amazing to watch..........he can block, grapple and attack using just his legs........it's what he preffers 70% legs 30% hands

amazing fighter ubblove

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I've seen that film! But his review is quite misleading: this film is mostly about insance acrobatics, fighting with chickens, and young men being rash and getting their father figures killed.

I dunnoe what his review was about... confused

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.