Forums > Social Chat > The Weird and the Wonderful

Login/Join to Participate

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Happy New Year EveryoneI was watching a program on here in Japan on New Years day. A guy was twirling a small fire staff between two sticks - anyone know what this is called? Then another guy did Poi like moves. Instead of two seperate chains it was one long one. He swung wine which was poured into cups where the balls usually are. It was quite good until he finished and drank the wine before spitting it at the audience. Lovely! His finale was quite cool though. His moves were not anything special, a lot of over the head moves and weaves, but the Poi had a fireworks effect, when they were lit and twirled they showered sparks everywhere. It looked pretty good.Have a good weekend Kat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
the small staff between the two sticks that u talk about sounds like devil stick. when juggling devil sticks the two hand sticks are used to catch and throw the centre stick. does this sound like it? hope this helps. Rain.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
it seems as if he was swinging a meteor Kat - look at earlier discussion for more infoi hope this helps you,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 07 January 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Devil Sticks, so that you know, can be bought at any juggling shop and/or through stores like the Nature Shop or World of Science. They are really cool and can also be lit afire and twirled that way. Also I agree with Simos, the poi moves seem to have been done on a true Meteor chain, though a variation can be made with a length of chain and poi. There was quite a lengthy discussion of them not so long ago.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
im gunna agree with those other guys and say devil sticks and meteor.mmmm i might try meteor some time....oh ya i saw this guy (it was in french but that doesnt matter) on tv spinning some small staff that was like 1.5 - 2 feet long with fire. the funny thing is on each end of the staff had a diff wick setupthe first end had kevlar rolled into the ball the size of a base ballthe other had it spread out about 7 inches.what the hell is this???he was insane!!!! if i could have taped this i would be one happy camper

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
it looks to me like a really bad quality staff Jeff grin - then again i could be wrong... smileSimos

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies folksI had never come across devil sticks before and they looked pretty fun.I remember reading about the meteor before on this and I forgot the name. I think I prefer Poi - not least as they seem easier and less restricting to use. My first experience with Poi was in a club in Kyoto. A NZ girl used a long necklace that she twirled like meteor. I had so much fun when I tried but was extremely crap. Nevertheless, I surfed the web - found this site and bought a pair. In the meanwhile I practiced with (don't laugh) a pair of tights filled with rice bags in the toe. A wonderful way to practice as you aren't hurt when it hits you. And I hit myself a lot. Looks extremely weird though - you might be taken away of you swing tights filled with rice around your local park.Swinging Poi is a lot easier than a length of chain / tights! And a lot less restricting to different moves.Kat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Interested in Devilstickin'? Check out www.devilstick.orgBy the way, can carrots be reincarnated or do they just spend all day playing in the mud?

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Devil sticks are cool, but hard. The center stick makes a good practice staff for short staff moves, and I also use the hand sticks as super slowed down poi(to teach myself behind the back 5 beat weave). Three uses for one thing! And kat - i used koosh balls in socks as my temporary poi.