Page:
GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Upwardly gothic

Its what we have been saying for years although i would tend to agree with the statemnt that we are more class less than middle class....

the thing is though do you think anyone will actually listen? I get more than fed up with being labeled as the drop outs who amount to nothing as is my Son. and the shock on peoples faces they find out i used to alot of work with social services!!!

Thanks Pen for showing me this hug hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

perhaps that Goth does dress like that so they don't fit in with how they are supposed to look.... i.e. in the way of the fashions and how the media and marketiers say they should.

Fashions? Last I heard the Goths had their own marketing and fashions themselves. They dress the way they do to fit in just as much as anyone else. Everyone wants to fit with their sub-culture, be it Chavs, Goths, Townies, Indies or anything else.

What is the semantic difference, if any, between Goth and Emo? I get slightly confused at the somewhat random way in which certain things get labelled as one or the other. Yeah. Incoherency over. biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Emo was originally a genre of music, derived from hardcore, and was about wrestling the inner demons of defeat, loveloss and heartache. Goth was another sub-genre of post-punk, which was inspired by horror.
All of these were originally about the music... these days, what is anything about?

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Hanz

Thing is, what issues do they have exactly? they're normal people, are their issues any different to everyone else's?

That's my point exactly, they're not differant, but for some reason alot of them seem to think they have differant and/or more problems than anyone else... in my experiance.

Written by: Hanz

I was only talking about the line that you said about them all looking silly.

Maybe I read into that wrong, I don't know

I think they look silly anyways, and i've been walking with people i work with at lunch who've said they look silly. You might not, but you might think i look silly, they might think i look silly, i might think you look silly... whatever. Doesn't mean i think you're any more or less employable or clever or whatever.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
from my own experience, goths tend to be regular people, minus the color.

from my experience, emo's are the only ones who are really out for attention.

my two cents hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
I don't really think this article is about the fact that goths think they are different more that parents, employers, other authority folk and anyone that may not be as open minded as alot of people I see here, think that goths are no hopers and will amount to nothing, when its exactly how you said foxindocs (and also said in the article)they are no different to anyone else. Just like anyone else or any other 'scene' there are some really lovely people and there are some real idiots too.

eek I don't like saying what I think it never comes out right so I hope that made sense..

hug me!

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

yeah i think that was alot of my problem, i just wasn't articulating what i wanted to get accross properly, i'm still not sure it made any sence...

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

i think it's more of a teenage angst thing than a goth thing. chav teenagers take it out by hitting stuff, goths do it by wearing black.

I'd agree with Marf. Though as a footnote, I think within goth (or any) culture there's probably a bit of a hierarchy as well, acknowledged or not. (read: baby bats vs adult bats smile)

To each their own I guess. shrug?

Further footnote, I read the upwardly gothic article, and like what this person said:

'I certainly would prefer a child of mine to be a goth than some tracksuited-baseball-cap-wearing gobby hoody. I know which one would concern me more! I would certainly hold out more hope of a goth actually knuckling down and getting on in life.

Mary, London

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

s'just clothes...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
not just though, it is the way they are treated by other people, and that can change a person's mentality, so yes, it starts with clothes, but a lot can be changed by the way they are treated by others

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
nah i think other way round... with teenagers more so than adults.

kids get picked on, or pick on other kids, or play too many computer games, or listen to this or that type of music... and they wanna fit in someplace so they go, hey those guys over there all dressed in black (just keeping with the theme) get picked on too and they listen to the same music as me (or whatever) i'd better dress in black too so they like me... and then they get the label and then people start treating them the same way they'd treat other people dressed in black... cyclical i guess too a degree...

also... i'm saying all this as someone who was a teenager not so long ago and wanted to fit in, but who's turned into a grown up over the last couple years and realised that it was a pointless waste of time trying to fit in and be just like people i was sorta like instead of just being me who happend to be sorta like my friends who were all them but sorta like eachother (even if they were all trying to be eachother too)

did that make sence? i'll say it a differant way just in case...

i'm saying this as someone who untill a couple years ago, just wanted to be like everyone else, i tried getting in with the "cool" "normal" kids that didn't work so i was a "goth" for a while, then i met some people that listened to metal so i was still a bit "goth" then i moved more towards being a "punk" then i left highschool and i went to work in an office and spent all my money on work clothes so i started just wearing the same tops i wore during the week on the weekends but with jeans instead of black pants or skirts...

and eventually i got over dressing up funny for shows cuz i didn't have silly clothes anymore, and all of a sudden i was at a party and my friend says to me and my other friend (us just both wearing jeans and whatever clean tops we could find) "i love how you two hang out all the same places and listen to the same stuff that we always have, but you just dress how you want to with nothing to prove" and i realised i'd grown up...

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
am i making any sence yet? i think i'm just in a mood for saying whats on my mind and stuff the consequences... So i really do appologise if i've seriously offended anyone... or just plain confused them...

If i just sound like a complete twit i'll just have to deal with that myself won't i?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
going on that then, does that mean I've always been grown up? I don't wear what is normal or 'cool' I wear what I feel like wearing, so one day might be a black shirt with a black fishnet shirt the next day it might be light blue jeans with a pretty pink top, it doesnt all look the same or fit into the right catagory. I don't have anything to prove, I don't see the point in keeping up to date, costs money.

And besides, I was talking about teenagers anyway.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Maybe you have always been grown up, and good for you, i wish i'd always had that confidence.

Then again, maybe you just never had any friends tongue

TheGreatSaintGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
I'm not Goth, so this pro-Goth statement is coming from an "outsider" if you will.

Society sees darkness and black as void and emptiness.

Physics states that black has every spectrum of color. Think about this, 90% of the universe is black, hint: blackness = God x 90%

I perceive people who are drawn to blackness as higher spiritually. Not everybody will understand this, but those of you who do will see this simple truth. This perception is the opposite of what society would have us believe. Perhaps this is a level of spiritual enlightening and people are just jealous.

However, I would caution all Goths not to get trapped at this level. Seek to further yourself, even if it is conforming to societies demands just a little. You are not changing who you are, just what others perceive you to be.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

err... sure...

you know, i used to get emails from some freak who talked like that, who apparently knew who i was and went to the same school as me, but i had no idea who he was...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
FoxInDocs: I wouldnt say Im confident, just the way I was brought up, looks didnt matter, wish I had confidence, but I dress in what I want, confidence or not. And yes, I had friends, but through Primary School there was only a tight group of us, and had problems with friends through SC, but I still had friends... just.

TGS: I thought black was something to do with the absense of light?

TheGreatSaintGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FoxInDocs

i used to get emails from some freak who talked like that

Funny… you comparing me to a phreak, I'll take it as a compliment.

… ch…ev is just not cool…

FoxInDocs is phat!

peace
EDITED_BY: TheGreatSaint (1143099332)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Hanz

TheGreatSaintGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
I tend to do that to people. Try not to hurt yourself.

ubbloco

actually I was talking to FoxInDocs, not u Hanz, I'll edit for clarity.
EDITED_BY: TheGreatSaint (1143099643)

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
i don't know what anyones talking about in here now... but i was joking about the no friends thing hanz, hence the tongue

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ezz

I don't really think this article is about the fact that goths think they are different more that parents, employers, other authority folk and anyone that may not be as open minded as alot of people I see here, think that goths are no hopers and will amount to nothing, when its exactly how you said foxindocs (and also said in the article)they are no different to anyone else. Just like anyone else or any other 'scene' there are some really lovely people and there are some real idiots too.

eek I don't like saying what I think it never comes out right so I hope that made sense..

Thanks for keeping on topic as thats exactly what the whole point to the artical was.
its basical TRYING to stop people from having a preconception of what a person is and can achieve by the way they dress. which as you can see by several posts in this thread it happens alot.
From working with kids (ages from 5 -18) and personaly experiance it is the children who do not fit in that get picked on more and more. The alternative music tends to cater for this and the feelings so its easy to relate to the lyrics with in them. don't get me wrong i'm not generalising by saying this is the case all of the time.

on a little side note
i do not fit into any stereo type, sure i'm called Gothfrogette but i'm not a goth. i'm not anything as i do not see why i should be out into a catagory to define myself. dress wise i wear what i like and i like what i wear. not trying to make a statemnt to anyone as i don't care what they think.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
FoxInDocs, I know... but it kinda got me thinking... was gonna joke something back to you and then got VERY sidetracked

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
But Froggy, you DO fit into a category! Sexy as hell category, ohhhh yeah!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
"i'm not anything as i do not see why i should be out into a catagory to define myself"

Exactly. People shouldn't be pigeon holed. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
unfortunately...as i said before...i reackon that most pigeon holing is done by people to themselves. not all, but lots.

i'm definately guilty of this one, and i've learnt not to cause it causes all srots of problems, when people can't look past the label you gave yourself.

i was guilty of this as a goth and realised that everyone thought i was a misery & suicidal when all i really wanted to do was dress up and have fun....nowadays i goth up on a regular basis, and i also dress lke a hippy and a metaler, and...welll, anything except a grown up really! ha ha, the only box i'm still scared of is the adult one smile.

the point is, i stopped trying to give out a signal and just acted like myself and now people see me as just me! i think that signal-giving-out is a huge part of what being a teenager is all about, trying to figure out who you are and everything...and i don't think goths are at all unique in this

on the other hand, i used to despise chavs beause it seemed like they just made no effort - don't they want to look pretty? the reson goths think they're being more individual is because to be a chav involves buying the newest thing from new look or whatever, to be a goth involves trawling through charity shops/markets & stuff, putting together some really cool stuff and CREATING an outfit. Ok, not true for all goths...but then the people who just go down to camden are just chavs in black imo!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
I dunno,, now to me what i got out of the whole article was just a message to parents not to panic if they're kids started doing the wearing goth clothes thing,, but it seems to have spiraled off into a completely different direction...

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
that tends to happen here! i think it's an interesting discuassion....

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
hehe, spiralling off is a part of HoP.

Labels, haha, only one I placed on myself as "tomboy" but I wasn't, and then started being "indi" for individual as I didnt fit anywhere.

I may have too agree with Pen about the article being about telling parents not to worry.

Just asked mum if she would prefer (if I was a guy) a goth, or one of those people who wear their pants halfway to their knees, she said "I'd have to accept you as whatever you are, but I would prefer a goth"

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
People who are hypercritical of “Goths” seem to find something threatening about the style. Those of us not willing to look at a magazine and say “oh, I want to starve myself and dress just like her.” If it’s unfamiliar it scares them and then there is this hostility toward it that arises. Sometimes, I believe that it is jealousy due to the ability to shrug at acceptable and mainstream. There is some bravery in that
It really should be about being comfortable. I enjoy the artistry of the make up, the drama of the clothes, the slimming affect of the black. Other people who can’t seem to belong with general society find solace in belonging here. I sort of feel like the movement itself is dead, but I don’t hang out with others because it seems like they all by their clothes at certain stores and really have little style or opinions of their own. I buy my clothes wherever, find a few key pieces at the goth stores, but otherwise I go to department stores and create my own style. I don’t just wear black, I fit well enough into the corporate world. I don’t mope. I swear a lot. Don’t do drugs, do smoke, love a good gin and tonic. I think goth is just something that you are deep down inside. You can’t really stop being Goth, but learn to adapt it into society. It is childish to say that they should accept me for me and I don’t have to do anything. Why should they do all the work? People who say I used to be Goth, I believe never really were, or that they are trying to deny who they are. I don’t know if I am Goth enough, like being gay enough. I don’t go around saying look at me in my black clothes. Nowadays, I don’t wear that much black. I identify with the sentiment, the romance, but not with the culture that tries as hard as the Goth one does nowadays. Mostly, it is kids trying to scare mom and dad who should not being wearing bondage pants or straight jackets. That’s just poser stuff from kids who complain about how life is so hard as they go shopping with money that their parents gave them.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
sometimes i love how people start defending about stereotyping but then start doing it them selves

like whats happening with the chav scene now

i read that article carefully and agree with a lot mainly the stereotyping parts as thats what it all is so is the stereotyping of chavs

you know some kids wana dress in track suits (i used to as a kid) wear a cap (not always burberry), hang around with there friends (well wheres the youth clubs these days so what choice do some have) and they get branded a chav which fair enough that may be the fashion is what they like but not all chavs are trouble makers, not all should be stereo typed with the others. no matter what you get in life no matter what path and trend you follow it doesnt mean they deserve to be stereotyped.

im all for personal choice and the individual, ive done the black dressing make up and hair as a fashion and ive done the u.v. raver stuff and at same time been braded a druggy cos of it. but no one deserves it

theres always gona be stereo types and most people that actually are stereotypes actually in the same sentance or post actually become one.

sorry no offence meant by this but i read the first page and it went from stereotypoes on goths to everyone slagging chavs down and becoming a stereo type
EDITED_BY: dani_babyboo (1144013447)

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

Page: