Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
so no, as a disclaimer, i'm not good or anything. i only know a little bit. as a dancer, it's how i move anyway, all snakey, but i'm not like the belly dance king or anything. i can move, and make it look pretty belly dance esque. but learning how to REALLY belly dance is helping me get my *ahem* hip area more invloved in my dancing without looking like a dorky white guy at a nasty boody rubbin R&B concert trying to get some... convulsin an gyratin and people callin da ambulance...

but i'm finding that i am of a rare breed indeed... any other guys out there belly dance? any? at all?

it is soooo good for your spine!!!! and let's not forget they have a way better version of "the wave" than breakdancers...

anyway... here's a really cool site with some instruction links that has been helping me, if anyone's interested... my favorite so far is the "belly dance with boticelli" site.

belly dance instruction on the web

[ 01. January 2003, 16:13: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
fyi, Pele is getting our new apartment ready to move into so she may not be online much.

I'm bored at work, so I am online.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
PWB is right, but he also told me ya'all were looking for me..so I am taking a break! YAY!!!

Footwork...actually arashi, you don't want your feet together, that makes things really hard. You want them evenly spaced a bit less than hip width for most movement. I talked posture in one of the earlier posts. It comes in dance from the mid back. Here is one of the key things in BD, unless you are doing wide motions, keep your thighs together. It makes the movements more fluid and graceful by enunciating the hips.

Arashi, please do not take this as being harsh or critial, I have not seen you dance so I can not be but about this womans invitation....

If you are dancing alone or choreographed, you are not dancing tribal...and not even close to FCBD style. Which means, talk to her alot more. What it sounds like to me is that she wants to START a troupe and is looking for people to recruit, which is really great and all but if she tells you that you are dancing tribal while you are alone, then she does not know as much as she thinks she does. To do proper tribal you *have* to have 2 (preferably 3 or more) people. Sounds to me like you do Fusion, which is what I do.
Please remember to look past FCBD, they are a great starting point but truth of the matter is, they have 27 movements. That is it (which is more than they started with).
I TRULY TRULY hope this works out for you (and Sage!).
Now, one more comment...if the move doesn't flow then don't put them together. Either be technical in the dance or be technical in the poi but to do both is really hurtful to watch because...a) there is too much concentration going on and b) if people are watching the technicalities of one they are missing the other. The point is for it all to flow and look symbiotic.

Turns are foot patterns. Do you know much about spotting Daniel? Where you turn your body but look at one spot until the last minute so that you don't get dizzy? It really helps in learning turns ALOT! 3 point turn...step out with the right, pivot and step out with the left, pivot and step out with the right. When you do this do basic arms...out..in..out. Then add spinning...side...butterfly...side. Then do it in rev. Fluid and when sped up it is lovely. There are soooooo many movements and turns I don't even know where to begin past that. Learn the dance move first and get it fluid, then put the poi with them.

Also Daniel, that is the part of the point of the dance, the sensuality and owning yourself. The confidence the dance gives is really tremendously sexy. Try this facing one another... full body undulation leading to the right, then front, then right. Hip figure 8 right leading into a knee bend and back up. Reverse undulation forward leading to a chest circle forward. It is very, very sexy to do together. My group and I are doing a paired up dance and the girl who I am paired up with and I flirt terribly with each other when we do it!

Hmmmm... I also want to say to really, really look past FCBD. They are tremendous but there are so many Tribal Fusion groups out there that are just mindblowing. In fact...can you two PM me your addresses and I can send you a video of two of my favorites with explainations as to why I love them so...and if you want any move explained perhaps I can add that on as well, if you don't mind waiting a couple weeks?
(I would looooove to come out and visit and teach you personally! Not that I am all that great but, hey, it's a start! )

I haven't watch your vid yet Daniel...but I promise I will!
Does that help?
Much love (and I will be checking this at each day about once)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah, really after talking with her more, it will be more of a symbiotic working together type situation, me and a couple out of my crew will share our fire and solo and group choreography knowledge and she will show us what she knows about belly. she's only been going for about 3 years but hey it's a start, and she looks like she knows a decent amount, she told me about her teacher and it was some lineage that sounded respectable. (as i said everybody here does cabaret which doesn't really turn me on. i like slow, deliberate, perfected sensuality and openness to using all forms of styles in my dancing. i'm even stealing a few tap dancing and flamenco moves lately.) lately we've been working with lots of people, breaking out of our own styles (sage african, me liquid/martial, zarah indian) and incorporating other people into our stuff. so even though she's not the belly dance supreme godess i'm waiting for to do teaching trades with, i'm sure we have some things to teach each other.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hey yo, arashi.....if you think that throw at the begining wigged you out, I turned it into a one handed butterfly... SO BAD!!! I got 3 witnesses to prove it. no realy, after that, I can't quite get out of the one handed butterfly (yet.....darn chains still twisted up), but I am confident that where there is a will there is a weigh.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
you could twist your hands, or do turns with your body while the bfly stays in place, to unwind them.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think I wasn't very clear, I let the "downward conical spider airwrap" go for a few extra beats then I throw it up and I catch it in the middle as it is coming back down, the chains are still twisted together, and when I catch it in the middle it "somehow" over comes the spiral momentum and become a butterfly, but the only problem is the chains are still twisted together, and I am not that good at keeping a one handed butterfly going with big nasty tennis balls on the poi. I am sure I could transition to a two handed butterfly, if I could only keep it going better, but about 7 beats is as far as I have gotten without hitting. it will come with practice I am sure (and luck)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
pele i have to say i really love the turkish style costumes and belts, they are inspiring me a lot. the way they decorate and cut the belts to accentuate the body's curves is way cool, i have a marker attacking my hips to get the pattern layed out! my costume won't look turkish, i'm just diggin the cut of the belts. okay maybe like a turkish belt on mushrooms in the 23 century.

santana, i got ya, you can either grab the airwrapped butterfly at the start of the tangle and let the ends unwind behind your hand (sort of backwards version of the "chicken head", the one handed bfly airwrap i described in the meteors definitive thread)
or you can do the bfly in one place, in front about head level and turn your body under them to unwind them. pretty hard move though

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
once again you are ahead of me...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
well, I got that whole "catch it and turn it into a one handed butterfly, then a two handed" thing down, it works pretty good. Unfortunatly my media editor is fried, and it might take a little while to get a video posted. DOn't worry, I think I might ust start a new thread for this one.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok, Arashi, I got the other throw put up on a video. here is the link, it is a video that I restructured

https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/files/childrenatplayfinalversion.wmv

the move is at 2:33

[ 20. June 2003, 11:19: Message edited by: DJ Dantana ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
pele update (as if you care, right? ) hey, i'm a newbie at something, and i love it, so get ready for lots of enthusiasm!
okie-day, she does know what she's talking about, i just misquoted, after a crash course in belly dance genres, i now know that i am a fusion dancer, but hey that's obvious now. anybody that dances already and then starts throwing in belly moves (or the other way around) is, well, fusion. she has studied under the lineage of some famous american guy that i can't remember his name, skinny, dark brown hair, saw pictures of him in the "tribal bible" dancing in thee 60's, and also she has studied oodles of FCBD videos. really i can do all of the stuff she showed us in the first class, although i'm still working on getting a lot of them up to full speed, i'm still in the "slow and sexy" phase (or is it the, "geez i better slow down before i pull something" phase? you pick )(heck, knowing you, i know which you'll pick )
but i really dug the tribal thing, it's so hippy feel good and love your neighbor-ish, it's cool. plus i really need to work on dancing improv with another person, getting it really tight, that's my weakness as a dancer. i'm used to doing mainly solos, solo improv, and choreographed group, but here we go to the next level!

dang, doing those shoulder circles with the arm fully extended reeeeeeally does hurt fast! crazy!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
bump

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Tribal is really rigorous. I have had the pleasure of training personally with some of the best and of the 5 dancers in my troupe only two of us made it fully through the sword workshop. The posture alone makes it tough but it is sooooooo worth it.
One thing about learning from someone who learned from videos...their technique may not be correct, and that can end up hurting in the long run. Watch the videos yourself. FCBD has 8 or 9 I think (I have them all as well), but also look at other ones...I still promote that as FCBD is fantastic, they are just not the end of the line, and are limited in the number of moves they do.

Tribal is also evolving at a great pace in such a frantic web of wonder it is really gorgeous. I had this conversation with a girl in Au, where American Tribal is just flourishing, and we have gone way into the fusion phases already. I think it is great that you are training in tribal first and then blending in your fusionary roots, as the reverse is really hard. I really love fusion..the Indian, African, Flamenco blend are just so delectable.

"Slow and Seductive"..lol..of course I go for that if the music is right. I think learning that muscle control is sooooo incredibly important in so many ways. And I have to say as well that moving them really fast looks strange sometimes, but doing them medium to so slow it builds sweat to watch is incredibly yummy. The entire dance is about owning your full being, your whole self. What is more seductive than that????
The cues come, and are really not standardized except within each group. Inventing your own is really cool because then other dancers watching will have no clue what is coming next, and it makes the dance such a mystery. And true ATS is such an exercise in teamwork and commeraderie, but dancing is so much more fun with others!

Are you talking about the laybacks (extended arm thing you mentioned?). Make sure you support that with your upperback muscles just under your shoulder blade and that you slide your chest through to finish it, otherwise you end on this awkward angle.
And wait for the 3/4 shimmy..oh what fun they can be to learn!

Turkish belts are awesome. The very drop nature of them is alluring and calls for motion. Add tassles and you can not help but shimmy (though I am personally all about the fringe!). What else will you be wearing with it? Or will you be tantalizing in nothing but the belt? lol

I wore a cabaret bra and belt over my black leather pants to a show two nights ago. Very ecclectic and the crowd absolutely loved it. That is the fun thing about the costumes is that nothing is right or wrong, it just needs to flow with you and fit correctly (nothing worse than shimmying a belt to your knees in public:o...unless it is you in nothing but a belt! )

Daniel, give me a bit of time and I will get that vid to you sweetie. Being kept busy with the move (we are still not fully in, or unpacked! Sheesh!)

Hugs!
(gods I love this thread!)

Pele

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
no problemo

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
actually this girl is awesome. fat chance vids are just a refresher for her. she studied among other places under a group named Zafira, in pennysylvania, and i just saw a video of them and they ROCK... check em out... totally beautiful dancers and dancing, they are right up my alley, fusing lots of indian and indonesian moves, sword and bowl dancing. she has studied with fat chancers, as well as their vids. after all of us put our heads together, we have quite a good start, and a large ranging body of knowledge. we are currently working on getting the combos reflective, like arabesques and egyptians and other moves that probably are called different things by different folks so i won't bother. (and i'm still working on my horrible backbends. friggin broke one of my ribs when i was younger and crazier , didn't even know it, now my rib cage is all glued together, not to mention my poor squashed up back)

god i love shimmies. one day they will call me "the shimmy king"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually I know Zafira. They are lovely women as well. Talented and sweet. Nice combination. You would also really like Domba and Kassar. Gypsy Caravan has really taken things to a different level, and look, as well. And if you really want to know about the Indan Dances, truly seek out Neena and Veena. They are so knowledgable. I don't necessarily like them but I completely recognize their knowledge and abilities.

If lollapalooza comes your way go see it. There are 10 really awesome belly dancers from different groups all over the country in it. I know 3 of them.

I am surprised you are starting into backbends as that is something even seasoned dancers are eased into. They are also not that huge in Tribal. Present yes but not a focal point, and should not be overused in routines because it gets boring (I have a video of a group that does more than 8 in a three minute set.) Just be careful.

Also following through on the male thing...watch out for piston hips and mya's. I was reading that these done on men can cause injury to the obliques and groinal muscles, which are not as pliable in men as in women.

Pele

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
lollapalooza- ha ha! rachel, one of the 10, is a good freind, and an inspiration, can't wait til they come to austin, haven't seen her in almost a year. she's who i meant by, seeing a really good dancer can catapult your style far beyond ordinary progress. can't wait to see what they're doing as a troupe either. it promises to be an asswhooping show!
{backbends are just something i want to do so i can do those dreaded horizontal poi moves while in a backbend. and also gymnastic style stuff like walkovers- someday. plus everybody else in this troupe can do them pretty well, so i don't want to be left out but really they are good physical therapy for me, i need to work this crap out. darnit. or buy more painkillers}
man i am so excited, honestly belly dance right now is just the icing on the cake, we can belly dance and look pretty decent at it, but we have already got a good dance thing going without it, and now it's just, like, NEXT LEVEL SHIT GOING DOWN and people are EATING IT UP .
for many many years chains have been my passion, upon waking up they were in my mind. dammit this belly dance thing, though, it's taking over my brain! my chains are looking at me from the corner of my room, sayoing, "baby, baby, baby, where did our love go?"

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
man, i'm bummed out about the maya thing, cause i just discovered mayas and i LOOOOOOOVE them!
they sure do work those muscles though, and i can definitely see how i probably shouldn't do too many of them. frig! they are really fun. please, can i just do a little, mistress pele?

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Did I mention lately how much I love watching belly dancing?

Raph

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL at Raph...you know Raph...are you sure you like Belly Dancing? I mean, are you really sure?

Do a little Mya I bet and it shouldn't hurt too much, meaning don't drop too far or lift too far into them, start it really on the smallest contractions allowed. I tell my students to work within their capabilities, and if they feel the pull don't go any further. I am not a preacher of no pain, no gain in bellydance.

If you want to be a shimmy king try the video "1001 Shimmies" with Beata Cifuentes. That woman can move in ways, oh my gods...and her shimmy solo's are mad inspiring.

I took a workshop with Ranya recently...talk about a goddess! My Lords!!!!!!!!!

And this past weekend Dalia was in town, who is the creater of the Dunyavi Gypsy style..that was such fun, and I was thinking of you part of the time, when I wasn't trying to figure out the footwork. Dunyavi has alot of knee-drop-backbends that I could see you just eating up!!!
Oh, and at the same event there was this male dancer. He was soooooooooooooooo bad! Daniel your video is ace next to this man's interpretation of Pharonic. I just wanted to tell you, he has been dancing for several years (supposedly) and you guys are already better than him. His snake arms were sooooo bad I nearly wept. And, we were at an Arabic place, which was worse. He was hissed at (not good). What I got from his dance is that he couldn't make it as a liquid dancer or a break dancer and so he tried this "Strike-A-Bad-Pose" version of Pharonic Bellydance to techno music that did not match his movements at all (or the event theme). My entire troupe felt embarrassed for him. So, congratulations to both of you for doing an excellent job after such a short time!

Also, try checking out Urban Gypsy. I forgot to mention them before.

I also thought to tell you to look at Gypsy Rose for some of the flowy bottom ideads. And even if you don't want to adapt them for costumes, they just have great clothes that smell all rich and incensey when taken out of the shipping package!
I think it's www.gypsyrose.com but don't quote me on that!
And..I had an interesting idea for you, as this is what I am doing now for me and thought it might look really good on a man. Have you thought of using chainmaille for part of your costume? You can get it made of coated aluminum rings and can attach the cowry shells, coins, anything to it. It flows really well and can look feminine or masculine and I LOVE wearing it sooooo much, it feels really good. (it is right up there with that whole leather thing of mine! )

Your poor poi. I am sure they are sooo lonely. Perhaps we can introduce them to many of my juggling toys which have been weeping for my touch, but since the move (still not done) mingled with rehearsals and performances they too have been sadly neglected. Eventually they will feel loved again....
And I understand the rush of the new...I feel that way about many forms of dance (except modern, never got a rush from that, just a good workout). I am so glad you found this passion (and you too Daniel!), and I totally welcome you into the Bellydance folds. There is so much yumminess to be had in so many ways....and I'll not even get into other creative uses for bellydance moves here! LOL

Pele

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yeah, i'm going even further and going with plate mail (in an accenting "just for looks" kind of way) and leather with the more mainstream cowry and coin bedanglements. can't really afford chain mail, nor do i have the time or tenacity to make it, and as a metal sculptor making plate will be a snap.

pele i really really appreciate all the time you are spending helping me here. you are a saint, i tell you, a saint! i don't care what the newspapers say!

so, do you know rachel?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
also, sorry, i did an inconclusive search... by "piston hips" do you mean the basic hip shimmy movement, with legs bent, and knees straightening one at a time to rock the sides of the hips up and down? or do you mean the accented version where you pop the hips at the end? or something else? i'm afraid we have a translation problem here...

barrel turns are fun

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
LOL at Raph...you know Raph...are you sure you like Belly Dancing? I mean, are you really sure?
Yes, I'm pretty sure.

I find that dance is something that just gets to me. The control, the grace, the fluidity, the sensuality..its all great.

The best belly dancer I ever saw left me speechless. When I tried chatting with her later, I stuttered so much I sounded like I had torrettes much to the amusement of my friends.

The first time I saw fire dancing had the same effect on me.

Raph

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
LOL with raph, yes, I have the same thing happen to me...I get all tounge tied and start to stutter. And I'm thinking to myself, gee baby, I realy am eloquent and inteligent, but I sound like a complete morron right now...

Hey! I have some chain mail I made a few years ago...it has been sitting around not being used, probably feeling lonely too

It is SO cold though, you don't wear a shirt under it right?

I've been wanting to make plate mail for ages, I just have never gotten around to it!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
quote:
been sitting around not being used, probably feeling lonely too
sounds like me... my lover is out of town AGAIN

couldn't resist

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
at least you HAVE a lover

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Feeling bad for you both...

Anyway...the chainmaille should be smoothe and not scratchy, that is the biggest thing about it.
It is only cold for a short bit, then it warms to body temp. It can be attached to cloth or worn freely. I am attaching mine to a dance bra and decorating it with cowry shells and such. I have cm belts and necklaces, and want a pair of morracan sandles of chainmaille as well.

Another route to go, which is very earthy, yet time consuming in a very relaxing way is Henna on the upper body. I had my arm done the other night, and how soothing the scent and application was so cooling and relaxing...a very pampering experience. Anyway, it looks excellent with snake arms. In the middle of all this I was thinking of you guys (how pathetic is that??? I think I am obsessed..anyway..) and that on the less hairy parts of the upper body it would be awesome for you to have large really bold designs done in Henna, kind of like a shirt without the fabric.
To prep for it all you have to do is mix the setting solution into the Henna and mordant..which doesn't dry and crack off like normal. We found it makes the Henna paste stay richer and longer for a better staining result.
And if the rusty hue is not enough color for you there are body stains that you can paint on, let dry and peel off the top coat leaving a colorful stain under that really accents Henna designs well. And they fade after about 7 to 10 days.
Just something we are exploring I thought you might be interested in!

Piston hips are the really exaggerated shimmy movements, one up, one down alternating sharply, strongly...like the pistons of a car. These are notorious for pulling male groinal muscles I guess.

Hugs, love and happy hips to ya's!

Pele

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh yeah henna is the bomb. pele is too and it shows up as i'm fairly pale, i lost my bronze "manual laborer" tan
chain mail would certainly be more "air conditioned" than cotton, here in texas...
okay i'm tired as heck

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Your pale enough that I show up well on you? *giggle* Sounds delicious babe!

ta arashi, you make me blush! I could go on forever about this stuff though, it is such a passion.

Making a mesh hip belt of leather and was thinking as well...have you concidered cut out leather or even rope made into clothes type wear? Also, for a neo-traditional look...the sultan/harem pant look with a panel skirt over it (panel of fabric in front and back attached at waist with ties) and maybe a belt over that (though not needed). Very hot look on a man I would think. If you go the bare chest route you can also do some strong bicep arm bands to accent it. I just found all my costume making stuff and have been going design crazy...can you tell????

And don't forget hardware for the head and your facial markings. A must have in the fusion world. I really want to do the day glo-neon-gypsy thing as I am tired of seeing all earth tones and black. I am the most "light" and most "off beat" costumed in our group usually...and I love it! It also makes my python stand out instead of bland in when I have her.

With fire try to utilize the mirrors, pallettes and sequins alot...very yummy effect.

Barrel Turns...absolutely decadent with fire props, veils, etc...and...here is something absolutely ferrel with them...

Barrel turn once, drop down into a single knee kneel/or squat and slap the ground with the palm of the hand that was decending (usually the right hand), the other is behind your back..look at the ground. That should take 4 counts. Now look up dramatically at the "audience", and I mean flip your hair and look out the top of your eyes with that lusty beasty look, that is count 5. Right arm out to the side strong tribal arms, 6, left arm out to the side 7 and stand up dramatically..own that stage..8. End this with snake arms backing away. This is such a decadent set of moves..and it is such a great change of pace in something flirty, to just put that in drawing the people to you and then do a "la la la" move.
Have you tried Ami's yet? I think you will like them.
Many hugs and

Pele

Page: