Page:
GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Upwardly gothic

Its what we have been saying for years although i would tend to agree with the statemnt that we are more class less than middle class....

the thing is though do you think anyone will actually listen? I get more than fed up with being labeled as the drop outs who amount to nothing as is my Son. and the shock on peoples faces they find out i used to alot of work with social services!!!

Thanks Pen for showing me this hug hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
leave the goths alone !

Non-Https Image Link

this was me almost 20 years ago eek.. the word 'goth' had barely been invented........ fags, queers, weirdo's etc etc is the abuse we had to take...... oh and the odd beating ubbloco

there's loads of 'baby goths' (as we call them) down here in Bangor now - personally i think its great to see, a damn sight better than chav scum and the other hoods that hang around the streets

ps...... im the one drinking the cider !

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
It's funny... If you boil all of this down to basics, isn't it just that everyone wants to belong? To have a sense of identity?

Modern society is cold and unyielding. If you walk on a busy street in a city, no one will look at you. No one will talk to you. If they do, it's just because they want your money, for good or for ill. I think that leaves a lot of people quite fazed. You're given the feeling that even though all of these people are just like you, none of them actually are.

So subcultures evolve. If you see someone who you share something in common with (usually based on taste in music), you can give a nod to them, safe in the knowledge that they probably think similarly to the way you do. Goths... Punks... Emos... Chavs... Whatever the hell you call yourself. There's always a wide variety of different people there. Anything, not to just be another dull face in a crowd of grey.

Hell, even us here on HoP. How many people here reading this would consider themselves to be a "spinner", a "twirler", a "staffer" or a "fire dancer". I think it's fair to say that we have a small subculture of our own here, whatever other subcultures you may subscribe to (you lovely bunch of crazies, you! biggrin). Hell, if goths get the same feeling of kinship from sitting in candlelit rooms, listening to The Cure (or whatever... I'm no Goth) as any of us can say we do by going to a spinning meet, then I think it's a good thing!

I suppose (at risk of staying on topic tongue) one thing this article is saying is that parents should fear their children getting into subcultures. I think most parents probably feel the least empathy with goths is all. Maybe everyone just needs more empathy.

This is a cool thread. It's been very thought provoking. Thank you. smile

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Whoa... quite a rant there. Sorry 'bout that...

For the record, I wear baggy trousers with chains (poi chains actually), dye my hair red, wear thick rimmed glasses and stencil t-shirts. What that makes me, I don't know, but after spending a week wearing a shirt and tie and sitting in an office like a good little automaton, I feel I need it. Kinda stops me feeling like I'm being quashed by society. smile

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
two things
baby goths was sort of the word i was looking for, but not quite...poser isn't quite it either...i suppose i could be called one for my corporate ways...anyways...
stereotypes are not a bad thing unless we let then control us...we form ideas by collecting them into categories. it gives security to the world. that is why new things or different things are generally considered frightening. things needs to belong. i think that that is at the very basic bottom of maslow ? 's pyramid...food shelter and a sense of belonging
rag on who you want because someone is ragging on you

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Page: