Forums > Social Chat > *Youch!* First injury...need more advice :)

Login/Join to Participate

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well..when I made my homemade set of poi, I didn't think they were heavy enough to swing around and be able to do tricks..so I came up with an ingenious(don't think so now) idea of placing a small fishing weight in the center of the newspaper before I rolled it up..well...I was practicing my corkscrew tonight, and my right poi swung around and hit me in the left ear from behind the head. The weigh apparently ate (through centripital force) it's way through the newspaper. I used cloth around the newspaper, but it didn't cushion the *SMACK* of the weight hitting my ear. It took away a nice chunk of ear with it..*youch* *Sigh*Was I just being ignorant when I put the weight in them, or is it just as easy to swing around and do tricks with lighter poi? I obviously need to come up with some solution....looks like no more poi for me until I solve this. Anyone's quick help(I was to poi!!!!!!) is of course, appreciated. :P*holds ear with bandaged fingers*

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
ouchI use old glowsticks with socks wrapped around them. They work pretty good.

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - my practice Poi are squashballs with three fishing sinkers each...they really really hurt if you are twirling fast and you it yourself fullon. they are also very dangerous cuz they can fit into your eye socket...something my girlfriend found out when twirling really fast once...not nice. I'm thinking of changing them to Zuni style, with beans in a sack inside em...but they do fly pretty fast smileJosh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Try cutting a smallish hole in a tennis ball and putting the weights in there. I have found that tennis balls are too light for my liking, and if you then wrapped them in a sock or piece of material and attached your string from there it should give u some more weight and also when the balls hit you it would hopefully widen the impact area and not hurt so much.....

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i have fishing sinkers in tennis balls for weight and everyone hates them but me because they hurt a lot when the sinker gives you that double strike when you hit yourself. on the other hand its motivation not to hit yourself if its painful. i find spinning with weight a lot easier.Pere

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
If it makes you feel any better, I did exactly the same thing: made some dummy wicks out of fishing sinkers (2 oz each) wrapped in foam rubber and lots of duct tape. Clocked myself in the forehead and DAMN did that hurt, even despite the foam. Those dummy wicks were little missiles--aerodynamics play a big part in twirling, and these things were very aerodynamic: they would get going fast if you so much as shrugged your shoulders.Experience is the best teacher. Unfortunately, experience is that thing you get right after you needed it.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOL Adam! smileso I guess Pain / embarassment is the best teacher?Josh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well, I found a pair of old tennis balls laying around the house(about the same size as my bag poi), and just the tennis ball itself weighed(yes, I weighed it) the same amount as my entire bag poi, with string and rope handle..(1.5oz) I opt'd to not put a weight in the tennis ball as it was similar in weight. I played around with them for a few minutes..but I'm definately too tired(and my ear still hurts) to do anything serious tonight. I'll let you guys know how it works out tomorrow. thanks smile

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pureenergymember
17 posts

Posted:
Don't feel bad..from the very beginning i was using old glowsticks as my practice poi, no cushioning at all..talk about moronic :-) I have a very high pain tolerance now though, from all those times i hit myself (that is why reverse weave was so painful to learn for me, lol)Hugs,Matt------------------All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!