Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > .:*Bayfire*:. Calling all Fire Twirlers!!!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Hi all you lovely beautiful people!*:.

.:*CALLING ALL FIRE TWIRLERS!!!*:.

This year, Bayfire, as part of the BlueWater Festival, a big fire, music, and entertainment event on the beach (same spot at moonfest) is on the night before next moonfest (moonfest being on good friday 14th April) there will be live bands on stage, a beach bar, kids rides, a massive fire show topped off with fire works off jetty.:*

We are organizing the fire show for the bayfire event on the thursday night 13th April and are asking for anyone who can twirl a stick or poi to be involved as part of a beautiful fire over the water backdrop out on the rock jetty as hundreds of people watch from the shoreline... we will need as many eager enthusiastic people as possible! So tell all your friends and BYO fire gear to light up along the rock jetty ... please email me at moon_fest@hotmail.com to let me know if you can be there and for more info.... or reply to the thread on the moonfest message board. There will not be too much involved in this roll (so all twirling skill levels are most totally welcome) ... I envision some fire lighters being placed all along the side of the rockjetty being lit one by one as part of the opening.... Then all fire twirlers up along the rock jetty together twirling whatever prop they have, as the climax point of the show.... and then the lighting of tepee fire sculptures and fire blasters as the finally. All out on the rock jetty creating beautiful reflections on the water and a wall of flame out on the jetty....:::* So come along and be part of the fun and festivities! The show will be around dusk so you would need to arrive at around 5:30pm to be involved.

Meanwhile there will be a close up performance in the usual moonfest space.... this will be more choreographed and rehearsed (and a lot more work involved) with another team of performers.

Just putting the call out for as many lovely keen twirlers as possible!*:.

looking forward to hearing from all you lovelies!*:.

Love and stardust sprinkles Elke.:*

biggrin ubbrollsmile ubbloco ubblove juggle weavesmileyhug2 grouphug hehe biggrin smile

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Is it just like that recent Sandgate Music Festival?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Sounds somewhat like a recent Moonfest... wink
Yep, I'll be in it!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Ry - so much NOT like that night - eeeeek! I think for starters that they won't lose our show CD, and it just wouldn't dare rain on us wink

The Bluewater Festival has been running for about 10 years and the Bayfire event on the Thursday night is lovely.. I guess a similar set-up with stage etc, but LOADS more people come along, and there is a kiddie's lantern parade, and lots of firey goodness smile

Gabe - would be so wonderful to have you part of the festivities this year!

Looking forward to an extra special magical show this year!

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
so in other words you're looking for people to look pretty and play with fire on the rock jetty? cool! smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Costume? Or just turn up with toys?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
bec: mmm yeah that night's fire show turned out pretty sketchy ubblol Was glad to have doch playing at the Full Moon Hotel to redeem it biggrin

Would love to come for this thing.. must remember to make a note..

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
This sounds great. I will do everything posible to make it by 5:30 if its not raining, even bying a loaf of bread the day before so I have something for dinner if I come directly from work. It's still down to the wire timing, but hopefully I wont have to fuel my stick at work before running to the jetty at the last second. What is the absolute latest arrival time at the jetty, and what time will dusk occur for actual ignition, maby strech to 5:45 and I am all but guarenteed to be there by then. will there be a 100 fire stave simultanious spinnoff or anything like that, or realy easy stuff like giving everyone a bunch of disposable firesticks to wiggle while getting in as close to each other as possible.

I might be able to bring a box of firelighters if anyone needs some, and I also have some fine heating element wire if you want any for making electrical igniters if you need things to light up simultaniously, but you'll need to provide your own battery and interconecting cables (takes several amps per ignighter ,24 v or higher recomended for best results)as I havent got anything like that at the moment. Let me know well in advance if you want it and Ill get it to you fairly soon

3,492 posts

Posted:
also i forgot to mention the lantern parrade and stuff smile

and Gabey, we might be needing a cheif like person to help out with the rock jetty crew actually .... biggrin ....someone people can come to if they have questions and stuff and just you know general mum like qualities biggrin ubblove hug ... would you be up for it?

let me know what ya reckon smile

oh and I don't think costume will matter from that distance... just whatever you're comfy and feel safe in smile

yes pretty much looking for lots of lovelies to come spin fire and have fun! weavesmiley biggrin devil biggrin weavesmiley

mmm yes ry... pretty much what bec said... different event... so yeah more like previous Bayfire events really... biggrin it has been going for many years... Phoenix Fire Tribe did one of it's very first gigs there... it's a special one for us... local community vibe... and yeah it wont be raining on us and sound track CD's will not mastiriously dissapear! rolleyes I wonder if we can somehow get last year's bayfire Video on here somehow...???

Looking forward to this year's one... we're brewing up a yummy one me thinks biggrin grouphug biggrin

should be all easy peezy lemon squeezy kinda stuff for the Rock jetty crew and a whole lotta fun... so anyone keen for a bit of fire and fun jump in and make a scene biggrin weavesmiley biggrin

I'll be posting more info about it all soon smile

thanks for showing some interest hug ubblove kiss

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

3,492 posts

Posted:
Adrian ... the fine heating ellement/battery/cable doodah sounds very interesting... but kind of complicated ... I'm thinking simple and easy... but thanks for your ideas smile

more info about exact times etc soon smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
yeah I reckon I can play a mumsy type reference point fairly easily. I'll just come as a 52yr old bossy baggage with a complete set of fire safety gear and make it up from there eh? wink

3,492 posts

Posted:
thanks gabe smile hug ubblove

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i'll be on my way home that night! biggrin YAY for long weekends!! so i might stop in at bayfire & check it out! does it go all night? *fingers crossed* cos i'd be in the area somewhere between 8 & 9pm...

bounce

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

3,492 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

2006 Sandgate Bluwater Festival

Brought to the Bayside Community by Sandgate & District Chamber of Commerce & local business sponsors

Kick off the Easter Break with Great music, Food, Fun and Attractions! Markets, Rides, Entertainment and more!

Sunday 9th April
from 11am
Family Fun Day at the Full moon Hotel
Jazz & Wine Festival
Rides, Live Music on Outdoor Stage
Great Food and Drinks

Thursday 13th April
Lower Moora Park comes alive from 4pm!
Phoenix Fire Tribe
Sam Angelico the Magician
Fabulous party band Honey
Markets and rides from 4pm
Fire Works at 8:45pm
Licensed Bar and more!
Calling all Kids to carry lanterns in the parade from 6pm! (contact Artrageous on 3269 1535 for the details of Lantern-making workshops during school holidays)

Good Friday 14th April
Lower Moora Park comes alive from 8:30am
Carnival Atmosphere, Markets and Live Music
Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht Race Start 11am
On the Bay Stage, local Star Claye Middleton, Oka
Sand Sculpting Compertition, Markets and rides to 4pm

for more information visit www.sandgate.org.au
or call Festival Manager Richard Ogden on 0413 751 546

biggrin ... then of corse moonfest is after all that on the Friday Night, 14th April, Lower Moora Park Shorncliffe. biggrin

97 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by The_Magnesium_Master

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
*pester* eek

We pretty much did this last moonfest, Ade, simple it was... I had fuel buckets just as people went on to the jetty, they could light off each other etc.... we'll figure it. It looks great just everyone spinning... a few got wet, that was the main drama wink

How long do you want the spinning on the jetty to go on for, Elke? Will people need to redip or one burn enough?

But yes I am intending to go to Monday Nigh JJ so we can talk then.
hug

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Pixie hug

Yep yep, definitely count me in devil

"Be the Bunny"

3,492 posts

Posted:
mmm ok... sorry I haven't posted specifics yet but let me now try give you all a bit better an idea

there will be also happening in the main space (usual moonfest twirling space) a close up fire show with more planning and things involved but the crew on the rock jetty need not worry about that smile

The simple task for the rock jetty crew is to...

*:.firstly along the rock jetty light a bunch of fire lighters along the rocks (these can be pre set before it all starts... not to far down the rocks as to be washed off by waves ... though I'm thinking the tide will be mostly out at this time of the evening (???) so probablly not a problem... but all staggered and different hights to give the look of a pretty little fairy trail slowly emerging from the the end, towards the shore.) this will happen at the same time as the opening in the close up show.... that can take as long as it needs to so no rush ...creating mood and atmosphere.

*:.secondly at about the time of the climactic middle of the show all twirlers pop up from the other side of the jetty with their fire toys (they can be pre dipped and in position ready to go all together) ...on burn each all together will probablly be most effective... or possiblly two burns .... but all gear pre dipped and in possition so people aren't walking back and forth trying to dodge other spinners.

*:.Lastly again, all ready in possition (like toys set on the other side of the jetty on the rocks if that works ...or close by) lighting of teepee fire sculptures (there are two of these and they are not huge... so spaced evening along the jetty) and fire blasters ... these are simply spray bottles of fuel and a fire club... anyone not comfortable using them has no obligation to smile ....they create short bursts of fire balls no bigger (infact probablly not as big) as a burn off from a fire stick. but a number of these spaced out along the jetty will look great. biggrin devil biggrin

and that's it smile *:.

Meanwhile all sorts things will be going on in the main show up close.

the whole show will be about half an hour ... so each section about ten minutes... that can most deffinately include times of rest between each section... so you have plenty of time to catch your breath and get ready to start each section all together to create more impact... there will be plenty happening in the main space aswell so no need to keep the fire happening the whole time... bursts of big energy will be far more effective than a drizzle of one or two spinners at a time... if that makes sense. smile ?

so hopefully this little more info will give people no need to pester Gabe... too much wink ... biggrin hug ubblove

I'll keep posting more as it's organised... so watch this space wink

also not sure how to get the actual video from last year on here... but i'll post a few pix biggrin

3,492 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

3,492 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
eek look at those giant wings!! ubblove wow!!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

3,492 posts

Posted:
hnnn thanks gixie*:. I love 'em hey... they are one of my favorite things! ubblove

dose anyone know how to make the video that is on a cd ... slightly stuck in my computer.... magickally work for you guys to see??? confused I don't have a clue when it come to these things shrug

there is a wonderful little snippit of Kyle's tripple staff contact amazingness on there... much better to see in motion than funny action shots wink

EDITED_BY: .:* Moon Pixie *:. (1143772232)

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
After reading what your up to in Bris I really really really (stamps foot) want to be there now and to be a part of it , it sounds lovely.

But alas I 'm in the Uk till at least Sept 07 but then I'll be moving to your side of the world biggrin so I'll see you all then. hug

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

97 posts

Posted:
What a shame I went home from the last moonfest befor Gabe arrived, but I am sure I get the idea of what was done there.

Deffinitly count me in to play with these spray bottles, and even better try to find ones with an adjustable jet and add a fair slug of cooking oil to produce a torroid that goes for several metres before it finally burns out. The one in the picture is set to a wide spray, the default setting used on most non adjustable spray bottles. If you dont have the bottles already get them realy soon and check them for fuel resistance immeadeatly as some of these I have tryed recently fail rapidly in the pressence of D60 or Kero. The long narrow spray jet ignights best if a piece of drawing chalk is mounted on a wire atached to the bottle to produce a consistent ignition location as small changes vary the result considerably.

IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNING DO NOT USE A METAL AND PLASTIC SPRAY PUMP THAT GOES ONTO A SOFT DRINK BOTTLE ,is made of blue plastic and chromed brass, is fitted with 1 or 2 adjustabe silver nossels and is pumped like a pnematic old style mortein sprayer in its long axis. I purchased one of these at the rocklea markets about 8 months ago for this purpous and it rapidly disintergrated internaly apon filling with fuel and proceeded to eject most of its contents out its rear end straight at my head after the rear O ring failed within about 20 seconds use.

The metal pneumatic mortein sprayer that pumps air over the fine orrifice tube leading to the fuel tank works great aswell but is not easy to find nowdays. Its flame is about twice as long as the sprayer in the picture, but 10-20 times brighter due to its very fine fuel mist. I recommend fuel like light to medium oil in this one just in case the fuel tank gets hot, as this can make D60 vapour ignightable and it does have an open tube leading to the fuel reservoir. You will lose your vision between squirts with this sprayer at night aswell, so it is not suitable if this will adversly effect your show(spectators wont have this problem as they are further away).

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
It's ok Adrian, we have thoroughly tested the sprayers we use (performing with them several nights every week) and are confident with all aspects of the safety within the capacity we use them for. We would definitely not be adding cooking oil or anything else to the fuel for this show, since we want to keep it safe and moderate.

(We will obviously give anyone who agrees to use them a thorough safety brief on the day to ensure they are comfortable and safe with the use of them.)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
clap clap clap clap

yay for safety

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

97 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by The_Magnesium_Master

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Hey Adrian.. PM'ed you with some tech info...

But just back to the big picture.... Who's in for spinning at Bayfire???

We have a number of non-HoP spinners from moonfest keen to join in too..
Elke & I will be getting together again tomorrow to finalise a few more things about the rest of the show, but for the amazing flaming rock-jetty team perhaps we should think about a colour to wear to give some unity to the group?? white, black, bright colours? any suggestions?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I'm still a bit vague on what's happening- volunteers will be spinning, fire-ball making on the jetty?

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
hmmmm... yeh I thought it was getting a bit confused..

Don't worry about all that fire blaster stuff... essentially it is just freeform spinning on the rock jetty.. there will be a nice structure to it, but we can talk you through that on the day - it will be really simple but effective smile

Always a huge and very responsive audience, loads of fun & being that close to Easter a bag of choccie goodies at the end fo the night to feast on wink (not that I imagine too many of us need an excuse to get out and play with fire in front of an adoring audience!)

3,492 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ].:* Moon Pixie *:.

The simple task for the rock jetty crew is to...

*:.firstly along the rock jetty light a bunch of fire lighters along the rocks (these can be pre set before it all starts... not to far down the rocks as to be washed off by waves ... though I'm thinking the tide will be mostly out at this time of the evening (???) so probablly not a problem... but all staggered and different hights to give the look of a pretty little fairy trail slowly emerging from the the end, towards the shore.) this will happen at the same time as the opening in the close up show.... that can take as long as it needs to so no rush ...creating mood and atmosphere.

*:.secondly at about the time of the climactic middle of the show all twirlers pop up from the other side of the jetty with their fire toys (they can be pre dipped and in position ready to go all together) ...on burn each all together will probablly be most effective... or possiblly two burns .... but all gear pre dipped and in possition so people aren't walking back and forth trying to dodge other spinners.

*:.Lastly again, all ready in possition (like toys set on the other side of the jetty on the rocks if that works ...or close by) lighting of teepee fire sculptures (there are two of these and they are not huge... so spaced evening along the jetty) and fire blasters ... these are simply spray bottles of fuel and a fire club... anyone not comfortable using them has no obligation to ....they create short bursts of fire balls no bigger (infact probablly not as big) as a burn off from a fire stick. but a number of these spaced out along the jetty will look great.

and that's it *:.

[/quote

rolleyes biggrin wink so in short ...

1. light fire lighters along the jetty

2. twirl whatever fire prop you want all together

3. lighting sculptures and blasters.

AND HAVE FUN! biggrin biggrin biggrin
EDITED_BY: .:* Moon Pixie *:. (1144152376)

Page: