Forums > Social Discussion > Devastation of Northern Queensland

Login/Join to Participate

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Yesterday 20th March the area around Innisfail (between Cairns and Townsville) was hit by a catagory 5 cyclone, the most powerful to every hit Australian shores. At present, damage is estimated at half a billion A$, 100% of the banana plantations (the major crop there) have been wiped out and at least 4000 people are unemployed due to this.

Luckily there were no fatalities.

A second cyclone (presently catagory 3) is bearing down on the same area right now.

If anyone can spare it, donations can be made at the Commonwealth Bank, god knows they're going to need it.

Incedentally, I saw one American report saying it was Sydney that copped it.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Since when could you trust american news outlets?

ubblol

On a serious note, hug be safe australian hoppers!

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: KaelGotRice

Since when could you trust american news outlets?

ubblol

On a serious note, hug be safe australian hoppers!

ditto
I hope you all are ok hug

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
thankfully cyclone wati (that second category 3 one) has spared innisfail & cairns...just seems to be slowly ambling down along the east coast! biggrin

& on silly news reports...someone in sydney thought that hervey bay (3.5 hrs north of brisbane) was right near the cyclone...erm...no. innisfail is way up! ubblol yay geography! tongue

you can also make donations at anz banks, woolworths & st vinnie's now too. there's a 1800 number as well but i can't remember what it is! umm i'll look it up!!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm as an ex arsonist..................it's not hard to set a delayed fire.

sometimes i do belive some fires are started deliberatly (it's not hard to set a delay fuse)

watching news about fires in OZ or the US makes me wonder............how many people use these same ignition sources that i have learned aboutconfused

(i cant go into these delay fuses due to MI5/6/7/ or what ever checking my online posts)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Delay fuses?

this is about a cyclone..

can people start cyclones?

That would be one hell of a fuse... wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
umm
you sure you have the right thread ravehead?
confused

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There was a bit of a sigh of relief here when Wati went away; we had a few days of thinking it would hit us directly, my bloke chainsawed down the palm trees in the front yard in case they fell on the house!

I don't know if anyone further south got the cyclone warning broadcasts on TV, but the first time I saw it I thought it was an advert for a fuel additive or something; all flashing lights and "warning...warning..." noises.

The price of bananas has gone up six fold in the local Woolies now. It's going to be a hard winter for a lot of people up there.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

SkwirrelleSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Yeah I'm in Townsville and everyone was pretty sure we were going to cop it here.

Got some friends from Innisfail and Babinda staying with us now as they have lost everything and it is going to take at least a month for insurance to pay out.

There are still houses all over town with windows taped up just in case another one forms.