Forums > Social Chat > "Candy Raver?" Define....

Login/Join to Participate

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
When a friend first introduced me to the rave scene, he made me swear I would never become a "Candy Raver." I've heard this term used in several different ways, some derogatory and some respectful, and I was just curious what exactly the term implies?

One way I heard was that it was like "old school" ravers who would trade candy on necklaces, etc etc.

Another way I heard was that it's the "wannabe ravers who run around in white visors with every spent glowstick they've owned hanging off their backpacks trying to appear old school."

Can someone clarify?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
heh, here's my list of kandee kid traits(not to be mistaken for the wannabe or etard)

-love of snuggles
-unnatural love of fuzzy things(stuffed animals, bunnies, n if it vibrates and is fuzzy, )
-unnatural love of happy hardcore
-uniform of hoodie n ufo's
-wearing kandee _all_ the time, occasionally to the excess(see MR T. kandee kid)
-drawn to flashy lights like a moth to a lamp
-has been to every big party in immediate area, knows most dj's intimately, best resource for underground parties(when memory serves)
-excited very easily(read, do not give caffeine, I repeat, no stimulants needed)
-bouncy

I think alot of kk get a bad rap as bein etards, but I've met enough to change my mind on that..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
I fink its more of an american thing these days.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
ok.. what is a etard exactly?

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

1,148 posts

Posted:
usually someone who consumes a large amount of x in a short amount of time, resulting(mostly), in a mental slowdown, sometimes reduced to almost a childlike state, until the brain(if possible), can bring the chemical levels back to normal.

I'm not a doctor however, I just played one a looong time ago..

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
Etard, or etarded, can also be used to describe the way you feel the day after rolling, when you've got no serotonin left in your brain and you feel a little "off". candy ravers can have a bad rap, and most of my friends see them as flippant or fopish, but i don't mind them, and hell, they can make a party great. also, most of the candy ravers i know (and im a bit of one sometimes) are perfectly normal people by day.

anyway, happy new year all, if anybody happens through chattanooga, tn, give me a buzz, i'll show ya the sites (all 4 of them)
smoochies,
-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
An etard is anyone who uses X period!
Love the music not the drugs. If you don't listen to the music while working, sitting at your computer, on your diskman on the bus (I do all of those things)... Why would you go spend 15 - 40 bucks to listen to it?

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
well stated frost, i concur.
but as it is, people will do e that want to do e. part of the rave scene has always been about "we're here to have a good time with as many people as possible, if some people want to take drugs, so be it"
either way, the music is the important part, it's what i celebrate as well.

smoochies,
-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
hmmmm thats desturbing. most of musashii's description seems to aply to me, yet ive never called myself or been called a candy kid. i duno i think its partly about your attitude and whether you talk aload of shit about snuggles to random strangers, which i dont coz it pisses me off.
besides any kind of labeling is bad. unless you work in a supermarket, then you can label away!!

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Call me Captian Obvious here but wouldn't a Candy Raver need Candy?

Candy is not just literal candy neclaces/bracelets/pacifiers but all sorts of colorful, child-like jewlery.

Any sort of judgement or behavior comes in later.

I think it's a pretty neutral term. Since it's been around for a while it's picked up some negative or positive connotations but I think that's just steriotyping.

Good point Frost BUT I do think that there are people who rave who aren't into techno because of the scene/vibe/community. Even those who just want to do drugs. You'd have to admit, a rave is a pretty easy way to get into the drug community (which I don't do.)

I'm quite the opposite, I don't rave but love the music.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
wait if you don't listen to electronic music 24/7 you shouldn't want to pay to listen to it at an event?

Maybe some people like techno in small doses and in certain enviroments.

One trait I would give some candy kids is the tendancy towards elitism.

1,148 posts

Posted:
hmm, Kitty I hate labels too, they usually tend to lock peoples minds instead of opening them up. I wasn't trying to say if you do these things, then you're a candy kid, just trying to put down some common traits. I fit in alot of those traits too, does it make me a candy kid? Dunno, don't care You are what you make yourself, and (least for me) the second someone thinks they can label you is the second you turn around and show them another side of yourself..

n on the side of drugs n raves, it's been around since it's conception, n I wouldn't be self righteous myself to condemn anyone who wishes to do so. The only thing that seems to plague the scene is irresponsibility, lack of common sense, addiction, n lack of respect(for others, self, and the amount of pure creativity that goes into the music/visuals/party). Also, theres alot more than the music at a party, least if it's done right, not that I've seen it done right in a while meself.

Ars Pyronomica

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I responded by starting a new thread because my response was so massive. Check the "new species" thread.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
well said musashii, i cant disagree with you on anything!!

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmmmm....well said musashi..ive been partyin for about 5 years now...and i used to love to wear kandy!! now..umm well you could say i grew up..its commonly a "popular thing" newbies in the party scene who wear an excess of plastic beads and try to act like they know everything about everything..heheh but this is usually caused b doing waaaaay to much x. i went thru this stage..but i grew out of it which most people will. its just a phase of partying and trying to fit in..i dont see anything wrong with them..but ummm the fact that they dont respect themselves enough to know there limits and respect there bodies. they will learn that doing e every weekend gets old and causes your brain much trauma. i dont have a problem with them..except for there choice of music!! haha

btw i hate happy hardcore and all of that really bang bang bang bang stuff...but then again i prefer DnB because thats wear the real dacers are

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem