Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
There are a ton of amazing spinners on this site though none of us are at all perfect. I was wondering what moves, patterns, and concepts we all may have neglected or skipped while learning new things. Down the road the most seemingly pointless move can come back and bite you on the butt while trying to learn something more complex. Here are a few from me.

clockwise same direction airwraps ( which is weird cause I do all sorts of stuff with airwraps and hyperloops)
rev btb bf
most of the throws I do with my right hand I can't do with my left

About a month ago while making a combo up I realized I couldn't do a wall plane rev 5 bt weave from back to front on my right side or the same from front to back on my left. This was something I should know how to do in my sleep. You can say I fixed that lil glitch immediately redface

If your new to poi spinning this is a good reminder of why it's best to learn all your moves in all directions and in all the different planes you can. smile

Peace, Love, Circles

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Still have a problem with reverse 5 bt and pirouettes

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
for rev five beat I found it easiest to learn going 180 from a fwd 5 beat, it helps cause the momentum is already there you just have to let your hands follow it & then pull it all across.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I had to learn revers time butterfly over the opposite shoulders to do crossers in reverse. Prettty much ignored the reverse poi over the shoulder untill I hit the crosser family, now I can happily turn a crossed butterfly and it flips from reg to reverse as you turn arms stay crossed and poi stays over the shoulder but switches directions.hahahahaha more to come im sure, switching arms crossed in between turns and taking an extra beat between turns. I cant do regular butterfly airwraps, but I can do them in reverse. I can do a funky fwd butterfly airwrap where they tangle on the top of the swing and come out going same direction.. I couldnt turn the fwds weave BTB to my left untilla week ago, now ai can BTB weave a 360 in both directions. a million tricks I have to learn still like turning ww butterflys and just general madness..

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
(oh, and what's this 'hard way' to do windmills and corkscrews??)
BOZ...
do a windmill and turn 180 degrees you will feel the dark side trying to ruin it. I just learned turnng chase the sun it switches from rt hand leading to left hand leading and is funky.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

godavidsonBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
balancing out the moves to both hands is a problem that I have as well. Especially doing kicks with my left poi, the right poi forgets to spin. Oh, and 5bt reverse on my right side I can not seem to get. I tried going from forwards and spinning but that doesn't seem to cut it....

Tuesday, Frank Kitts Park, Wgtn

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I seem to have left the 'normal' butterfly behind. I noticed this morning that if I start spinning in butterfly I either go straight into TTN or reverse low wave and I never seem to use it in my spinning at all. I guess once you start getting into all the variations of a basic move you begin not to 'need' the original move.

godavidson: to get over that I just work with the offending hand until I can get the move 'perfectly' using one hand then add the other in. It took weeks of that to get BTB butterfly releases but it was worth it. Also I find that if I am concentraring on one hand too much then I forget the other so the solution is simple... don't concentrate at all. Try working out new things while talking on the phone (hands free is a godsend) or something similar. Your brain just seems to do things... wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I have to turn my hands over with rev 5bt so instead of wrapping with my knuckles facing each other the left hand (on the right side) is wrapped round with the underside of my wrist touching the top of my left hand & vice versa. Still takes ages of learning to stretch at the right time.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
actually geoffon, i don't think there is a "correct" way to hold your hands when doing the 5bt moves. I personally change between back to back and back to front when doing 5bts depending on where im doing em and how im going in and out of the move. Its good to learn every way, but don't sweat it about making it one certain way or the other. I will say though, doing rev 5bt weave with palm - back as you describe makes it easier (for me) to bring my weave in closer to my body,(cuz you can bend elbows) helps get rid of that akward looking straight arm shoulder twist thing you do when you first learn the move

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

damnshortnewbie
1 post

Posted:
aside from wrong way windmill and corkscrew wich i dont realy mind i cant do.

the one thing i realided i cant do and realy wona be able to do is butterfly weave turn and butterfly weave in the other direction. it is officaly horrable!! confused mad2

enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I didn't mean that was the correct way to do it, I mean I have to cause my arms don't stretch the other way

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
mmm... the turns on btb (from btb bwd to btb fwd)... now i started training on them again coz they are basic to learn btb wallplane :/

and under the legs moves too :/
EDITED_BY: dawn2dusk (1144076831)

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Reverse 5 beat weave. I can't do it on the right hand side of my body. Don't ask me why... I just can't! Oddly, I can do it BTB wallplane, but not in front of me wheel plane ubblol

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
4 bt btb and BTH butterflys...
BTB butterfly weave

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
btb butterfly weave, good one, should try it again, can prolly do it now...

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
btb butterfly weave, good one,

I was going to say the exact same thing ubblol

Peace, Love, Circles

Page: