Forums > Social Chat > Police can get away with anything

Login/Join to Participate

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
This guy may be incredibly stupid but theres no justification for the cops reaction

but having been assaulted by the cops myself I know personally that they really dont need any justification and can get away with almost anything....... check it out

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
my god! thats effed!
that guy could have had tourettes or soemthing, imagine if he was just having a tic, that police officer should be shot. ive seen so many video's of police brutality in america, and when i was there the cops were crap - funny enough, i seen some outside dinky donuts and ive never stoppped laughing...

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I look at that, and question is authenticity....
Still funny tho...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
wrong.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
its funny but in a way if that is real which i think it is, thats really sick that those people are lookin after peoples kids and sutff

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
yeah the cops here are pretty bad buzzingtalk
I know someone who was walking past a protest, not involed mind you, just walking down the side walk and the backpack he was wearing bumped into a cop and the cop turned around and broke his nose and blackened both eyes and then walked away
I have so many reasons to not like the police
as for the authenticity of the tape I believe it is genuine, the cops here really are that bad Asena

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Yes, the police are just out to beat you for the hell of it or with the slightest provocation.. Sorry but A: the video is fake, either that or it is a security guard not a LEO. and B: even if it weren't they look like they deserved a bit of a whoopin.

As for your friend, that sucks, but use some common sense, you don't "accidently" bump into a cop in a riot squad. Hell I wouldn't even go near a cop in a riot squad if I wasn't on their side. If you've got nothing to do with it, you should be somewhere else. You don't just say 'don't worry guys! i'm not with them, just passing through' and push your way past.

I have no pity for stupid people.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
this makes me thinkof a joke about a policeman beating the c*ap out of someone he's pulled over because the guy keeps making gang signs with his hands ubblol

(the guy turns out to be deaf)

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Lurch

As for your friend, that sucks, but use some common sense, you don't "accidently" bump into a cop in a riot squad. Hell I wouldn't even go near a cop in a riot squad if I wasn't on their side. If you've got nothing to do with it, you should be somewhere else. You don't just say 'don't worry guys! i'm not with them, just passing through' and push your way past.

I have no pity for stupid people.

Actually Lurch it happened in Portland, Me. and the protesters took to the streets this was mid day and not only were there protesters there but tourists, locals going about thier daily lives, and such. It wasnt a riot squad there was just police presence. The protesters were in the street and he was walking down the sidewalk. There was no violence, from either side untill this point, and he was just trying to get to work. The cops were getting uptight and as he was passing by he turned and his backpack turned with him, he was actually turning to find a different route to his job because the protesters were making it to hard for him to travel his normal route. When he turned he was close to one of the uniformed officers, again not riot squad, and his backpack bumped into the cop. Total accident!!!!! Thats when the cop grabbed him and beat him about the chest and head and then left him to deal with the protesters who seeing this began to act out, as they should've. His only posible tye to the protesters was that fact that he was wearing green and black, the green anarchist uniform colours, but last I knew that wasnt just cause for a beating, nor is bumping into someone by accident. I see that you live in Oregon Lurch, anywhere near Portland? If so you may know people from Portland, Me. who could vouch for what I say about the PPD in Maine, I know alot of people who have moved from the Portland in Maine to the one in Oregon so maybe you might too and I'm sure they can verify how bad it is.
The police in Portland, Me. are terrible, I lived there for about six years and at least once a month there were reports of police brutality. The chief of police is a man named Michel Chitwood and he was trained in Philadelphia, Pa. As a young police officer he took part in the attack on the MOVE members homes and helped to kill, beat , and frame innocent men, women, and children, heres a link on that, but he runs the Portland police department in the same way he was trained so its common for there to be beatings from the PPD. I know because I was asaulted by them myself.
As far as the video goes I have no idea if its real or not but I dont have a hard time believing that it could be. wink

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
O.o

So your basing your hatred for your police chief on an incident that took place over 20 years ago? There are *always* reports of 'police brutality.' And in 99% of those cases the fault lies on the suspect, not the police. I have no doubt the incident with your friend took place, but forgive me for taking it with a grain of salt, I've heard too many stories like that. "I didn't do anything! I was just walking down the street minding my own business and this cop jumped out of the bushes and smacked me on the head with a nightstick."

Sorry but randomly bumping into someone with a backpack is a rarity in my world, and if I'm walking past an armed, obviously irritated individual, no doubt I'm going to give them some extra room. 9/10 the 'perfectly innocent' individual provokes the incident. True police brutality is rare these days, it was different in the 70's when most things could be solved with an ass whoopin.

I stand by my statement: I have no pity for stupid people.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
so what did the LAPD put the rodney king beating down to??

confused

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:

So your basing your hatred for your police chief on an incident that took place over 20 years ago?

I stand by my statement: I have no pity for stupid people.

Actually I base my hatered of Michal Chitwood on the six years I lived in Portland and the things I saw personally while living there..... although what he did over 20 years ago doesnt help me to like him any better. I didnt even know he was involved in the acts committed against MOVE untill I already didnt like him and researched him a bit.
As far as things like this happening less these days you obviously cant be serious, or you dont watch the news. Just the other day I watched footage of an unarmed suspect who had run, that was a mistake, but had given up and was prone on the ground and already being held by an officer and starting to be cuffed when four other officers ran up and proceeded to beat him with thier batons and kick him repeatedly. This was all cought on camrea by a news hellicopter.
Judging the statements you made you either live your life with blinders on or you are one of the people you have no pity for. shrug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Looks pretty fake to me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
it could be NYC it could be shrug

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
*sigh*

I'd like to see this footage if you can find it online that'd be great. I watch the news plenty, most if not all the cases of "police brutality" are caused by the suspects screaming foul when they get hurt because they didn't comply with the officers. Again, you don't get pity from me there. If you run from the police, you will get caught. If you fight with the police you *will* lose. There is no other solution, they will use as much force as needed. From the officers point of view, first you ask, then you tell, they you make someone follow orders. Obviously you have little to no knowledge of the police other than from the 'innocent' victim point of view.

I really don't get why people provoke officers. What the hell gives you the right? Would you go up and flip off some random person like that? If you do, you're a sociopath. Get some manners, learn some respect, and grow the hell up. These people are dealing with the worst parts of society as their *job*. They put their life on the line every day to protect you and your family, yet you feel the need to insult them and taunt them? Why don't you just go tie some raw meat on yourself and smack a pit bull a few times, then blame the dog when it bites. rolleyes

Might just be me but I'm willing to bet they'll be the first ones you call when someone is trying to hurt you, or break into your house. I'm not saying that police 'brutality' never happens, but most of those 'victims' are far from the angels they claim to be.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:

Obviously you have little to no knowledge of the police other than from the 'innocent' victim point of view.

I actually have quite an intimate knowledge of the police seeing as 2 extended family members and 3 friends of the family are police officers....but as I stated I also have an intiment knowledge of police brutality
I agree with you on many points Lurch.... you dont provoke or run from the police. I learned a long time ago to be polite to them and always ansewr with yes sir or no sir, but thats because they scare me. Should I have to fear those who are supposed to be there to protect me? I think not but I am.
As for the idiot in the video, yes he was wrong and rather stupid for doing that, but I dont think violence is the ansewr to anything and police or not flipping someone off doesnt justify a beating. I know I've been flipped off plenty and never once hit someone for it.
I looked for the video I referenced but couldnt find it frown I'll keep looking though and if I find it I'll post here
Anyway before I start to be redundant with my points I'll just say peace Lurch peace hug

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

confused

Weren't they actually saving him from a new wave of African Killer Bees wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

Written by: ravehead

confused

Weren't they actually saving him from a new wave of African Killer Bees wink

ubblol I thought he had a spider on him they were trying to get off ubblol

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Sorry I'm a bit slow on the replies, finals and all nighters and such wink

And I apologize if I got a bit aggressive up there, I took a bit of offence to you trying to tell me I live my life with blinders on. On the contrary, I do by best to gather all my facts without rushing to judgement. That said by default I am most likely going to sway in defense of the law enforcement community rather than blame them for the woes of modern society.

Look around the world today and you'll find that there are surprisingly few individuals willing to accept responsibility for the problems they cause themself. If they fail, or they get hurt in some way, it cannot possibly be their fault. So they point the blame towards the cause of their pain. It happens way too often, especially in regards to the police and frankly I'm fed up with people blaming the cops for problems they've brought down on themselves. You cannot deny that MANY people instigate and attempt to provoke the police because "they can't do anything to you" yet as soon as they get a reaction that isn't what they wanted, or expected, they're magically not at fault? Sorry, I've got to call bullshit on that one.

You're right, you shouldn't fear the people who're supposed to protect you. But somehow I doubt that is an entirely justified fear. Most people who have a fear of the police are scared because they have something to hide, or they have had repeated runins with the law that ultimatly didn't work out in their favor. Again, I point back to the lack of personal responsibility in the world. LEO's aren't out to make your life hell, they have better things to do than write you a speeding ticket, and especially than arbitrarily beat innocent civilians.

I'm not even going to try and explain Rodney King, most people don't know half the facts about that case yet everyone brings it up as the horrible horrible example of police brutality. I will give you this though if you want a little more insight into the incident.

Written by:

"First the verdict, then the trial," to paraphrase Alice in Wonderland.

The verdict in this case was decided a year ago when the videotape was aired. The only remaining question was: What will the sentences be?

But trials are held for a reason — not just to settle controversial questions, but to be absolutely sure about questions that seem incontrovertible. As Roger Parloff has put it:

Written by:

People's everyday judgments are quick and cruel. A criminal trial is designed to ensure that a more deliberate and well-considered decision-making process will be employed.

Although politicians, journalists, and social activists didn't want to be bothered by doubts, the videotape wasn't due process, it wasn't a trial, and it wasn't conclusive evidence of anything. The trial was necessary to go beyond what everyone saw on television.

The tape lasted 81 seconds, but not one person in a thousand saw more than a few seconds of the tape. Viewers didn't see Rodney King attacking the policemen, unfazed by a stun gun; they didn't see the policemen stop swinging their sticks the moment he decided to surrender.

Even if you saw the whole 81 seconds, it couldn't show you everything. A videotape can't show what happened before and after, it can't show you what is outside the range of the camera — for instance, who might have been hiding behind the car. It couldn't show the 100-mph car chase that threatened the lives of the passengers in Rodney King's car, the policemen, and innocent bystanders on the street. And it didn't show that the two passengers surrendered immediately — and so weren't struck by the policemen.

When the jurors announced their verdict at the end of the trial, the circus began. Almost every two-bit politician and social commentator — liberal and conservative alike — denounced the verdict as an injustice. People whose entire knowledge of the events consisted of 5 seconds of videotape and some press gossip sat in judgment on the jurors who sat through weeks of testimony and evidence.

How do you explain the jurors' surprising verdict? The obvious explanation is that they knew facts about the case that we didn't. But if you're unwilling to accept that idea, your only recourse is to call them racists. Or else you have to blame the change of venue, the defense attorneys who played upon the jurors' fear of crime, or the idea that the jurors watched the videotape too many times and became "desensitized" to the violence.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
I also apologize for getting heated up there and the blinders comment. I get alittle worked up when it comes to topics like this redfacesorry Lurch hug
A good part of my fear comes from being harassed by the police in my home town. I grewup in a small conservative town and the cops regularly singled me out due to the fact that I was very different from the rest of the folks on the streets. What I mean by different is I had mohawks, various kinds, strange hair colours, again various kinds, piercings and tattoos. I was one of a very small group of punks in town and I was repeatedly pulled over for no reason and searched and I've also had cops pull up to me as I walk down the street minding my own buissness and search me or question me about where I was going or what I was doing walking down the street. Basically I was profiled and deemed a trouble maker, which I'm not, so thats where that comes from. I guess you could say that I should take personal responsability because I choose to look different and I should've conformed more and tried to fit in but should I have to? Isnt that one of the things thats supposed to make America great? Freedom of expression?
Anyway I do agree that there is a lack of people taking personal responability, I'm sure if you polled 100 prisoners 99 would say thier innocent, my point is that the police do take things to far sometimes and the amount of force used becomes excesive.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Profiling/harassment is far different from excessive force. And you probably have to admit that while you yourself may not cause problems, those similar to you are indeed the type to try to provoke people, or cause problems. I've had similar situations, and I know plenty of people who've also been in similar situations. The common mistake that most people get is to become overly defensive, and thus aggressive, which only brings out the sceptical side of a cop, and is most likely going to make them push further. Yes some cops are assholes, and small city cops do tend to go on power trips more often. However it also gives you the chance to get to know the officers on a much more personal level, and show them that you are a good person and not a trouble maker despite however you look.

A little respect goes a long ways, you don't need to change who you for anyone, but you do need to understand that because of your choices, people are going to look at you differently, and you shouldn't be upset with that. It is a fact of life, and sadly the aggressive extremely defensive stance that many people take towards whatever lifestyle they choose generally furthers the stereotypes placed against them.

Excessive force and police brutality is in all honesty a rareity these days, and the times when it is claimed are usually because of the "victims" own refusal to follow commands. You won't find cops beating up people who have surrendered. You will however find cops forcing people to submit when they refuse to surrender and need to be detained.

Watch the police chase tv shows sometimes, every once in awhile you'll see a semi smart criminal get out of his car after the chase is over and surrender by laying down on the concrete. You don't see them get beaten with an asp. The ones you see hit are the ones who get out of their car, and run away, or try and fight the officers.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Personally all my dealings with police have been mutually cordial, when I was arrested for breaking into a warehouse (another guy that was there decided to ring around & start a party and all the kids trashed the place, hence police) they said I told them too much, and would've got away without a caution if I'd have kept quiet, but at least the local cops trust me (I was the only person that told them the truth & they did appreciate that).

Apart from that I've been stopped for smoking weed many, many times with other people (never even been cautioned for that, touch wood) and they're generally quite nice about it - they know we know it's wrong, and we know they know it isn't really doing any harm, so they fill out the paperwork & move on.

But, policemen are people too, and I'm sure there are thousands of complete assholes in the police force (and likewise with america being such a large place, some towns will have more bad cops than good). It would be nice to live in a perfect world where cops are there cause they want to serve & protect, but unfortunately we got this one. I'm glad I live in the UK with regards to policing though, America's cops seem to consider themselves a ruling class sometimes, rather than servants of the greater good of the public.