Forums > Social Chat > Warnings on packaging, the nanny state gone mad!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think there maybe a thread about this already somewhere but I couldn't find it. So feel free to flame grill me if you can. You can even hipthrust if you wish as long as you produce a link to it biggrin

Today through the post I got a delivery of beads and a bead loom set, which included a loom frame, some beads, thread and 2 needles. On the outside of the box it all came in there is this statement..... not once but 4 times in english and and 8 more times in various other languages.

Written by: packaging

ATTENTION!: Needles have sharp points. Keep this packaging for futre reference.

No Sh!t Sherlock, needles are sharp! I better keep the box just incase one day I forget that fact.... rolleyes

Are we all so dumb now days that we have to be told this sort of stuff? Thats as bad as the peanut butter spread jar having "warning!: This jar may contain peanuts."

Arggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1142692106)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Can't believe I'm not the only Bash reader lolol Excellent biggrin

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I thought I was the only one! We've nearly got a help group :P

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Written by: Brit_Joe

Written by: Hanz

what? Dumb People Suck

Nope, may contain nuts! *looks downwards*

Yeah FRD its very broad, but ya know thirty or so years ago chavs wherent knifing each other on the streets, and if you watch heartbeat the worst crime they have to deal with are cases of missing tea bags or something....so ya know....BRING BACK FLOGGING!

Yeah, chavs weren't knifing each other 30 years ago.
The mods and rockers were though.

'Darkie' was an accepted part of many people's vocabulary, interracial marriage was illegal in most of the US, women were expected to stay at home all day and do housework, gay people had almost no rights and we were in the middle of the cold war.

I think you're looking at the past with rose tinted spectacles and I'm glad we've moved on.

Well what I meant was the social attitude of the general day to day public rather than the rights of minorties and the law ect.

An I think I didnt go back far enough, but it wasnt that long ago that things where safer in the country and people had some respect and there was a strict moral code that people follwed. However now its the opposite there is no code everyones knifeing each other and bringing guns to schools, and happy slapping old people and beating each other to death at bus stops or while out drinking, even children are becoming criminals at younger and younger ages...but I think im going too off topic, sorry.

offtopic, spank's to me

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Joe, I think you're referring to the so-called "golden-age" of Britain, where people could go out and leave their windows and doors unlocked, and everyone was a friend.
This was also a time of hidden domestic violence.
Yeah there's alot of idiots out there now, but there's always been idiots, and there probably always will be!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

Joe, I think you're referring to the so-called "golden-age" of Britain, where people could go out and leave their windows and doors unlocked,

Mainly because there was nothing worth stealing or all the good stuff had been nicked already ubbrollsmile

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
That reminds me of something in Hitch Hikers:

Written by: Douglas Adams

No one in the universe was really poor, at least no one worth talking about

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pen Draven

Can't believe I'm not the only Bash reader lolol Excellent biggrin

You're not the only one at all! I ubblove bash - although it does take hours of my life away!

1,363 posts

Posted:
oh lords yes,, more than hours heh

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
My camera came with instructions not to use it 'while driving or walking, as it could cause you to crash or fall over'..

I don't think it's the actual stupidity of the public that's changing at all, it's just the risk of being sued.. the zoo I work at used to have to have a 20cm sign in the 15meter pond saying 'open water'.. just to keep the insurance company happy.. It doesn't help at all, it just means you can say 'I told you so- so it's not our fault'..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think it reflects the serious nanyning that's more and more prevelant in this (and presumably many others) country.

The sad thing is that when some moron does try to stop his chainsaw with his hands, loses his fingers and then successfully sues the chainsaw manufacturers for lack or warning signs some moronic judge has let it all happen and thus sanctioned it as case book law! Why should the chain saw manufactures be responsible? They can't safe guard against morons, nor will any label onthe box.

Utter rubbish

As for food colur coding, personally I think that's awesome. I understand that "yes lard is red" because we have lots of general knowledge about lard, but for other foods, especially premade foods like frozen patties and pies etc a quick glance at a colour code is far quicker than having to read the back of every single packet to see what's actually in it during your shop.

Written by: yoni

This week, front page of the paper was a woman complaining that there wern't enough warning signs on the coast after she decided to walk round part of the coach in the mud at low tide and ended up losing her shoes because they got stuck.

That wouldn't have even happenned 40 years ago, she would have probably been raised to not walk across, if she had she would have probably put it down to experience instad of trying to find blame anywhere but with herself.

But as the general public become yet more and more nannied they seem to expect warnings on everything, instead of using their own brains to figure it out before acting like a moron!!

Bring back common sense and bring back self empowerment thorugh out society, bring back confidence in our own abilities.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I really don’t like the coloured food idea – can’t people understand that nothing is unhealthy in moderation? If you have just been for a 5-mile run then something with a red label could be good for you!

I fear that people will start to only buy green label food and stop getting the fat and sugars they need to live. People should never simply change what they eat to get ‘healthy’ – they should have a life style that is active and eat what they want in moderation and balance! No one thing is ‘healthy’ or ‘un-healthy’ at all.

Maybe I should write a book about it and become a bestseller worldwide. All in the name of stopping stupidity…

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
I think we need a Bloody Stupid Act. (make your own jokes here)

Anyone found being Bloody Stupid in public or in possession of Aggravated Ignorance is sentenced to spend a day in the stocks.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
But sym, it's to help people understand how much moderation actually is. You may not realise how much sat fat/sugars/salts are in your food in relation to the recomended daily intake but now at a glance now can

The colour scheme has actually been in development for a year or two, mostly the FSA with the major food manufaturers and supermarkets. Although recently the big companies ditched the system for their "own" and released it as if they'd developed it themselves, and not inline with FSA recomendations either.

It's a guide to fit it with your lifestyle and dietry choices not an instruction. It does nothing that the most of the dietry info on the back of most food packets doesn't already do, it just displays it alot better.

If you've been for a 5 miles run I serously doubt you'll want something all red but you know as a guide you can eat it occaisionally, just like someone who doesn't run at all.
I don't think folks will go for just green all the time, besides anything it'd be pretty hard to find just green labels. If you're that fanatical, you'd probably only eating the finest meats and boiled vegtables and water, not factory processed foods and drinks.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
yes, pratchett has many good ideas about the world...

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
It was about a year ago I was reading an article on news.com.au that a guy was suing a power drill company because the box had no warnings on it telling him not to pick his nose with it...

He picked his nose with it (obviously) and ended up in hospital....

So yes some human really are THAT dumb.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Bet he'll never do it twice tho wink ubblol

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Unless he wins the court case, of course wink

Theres so many dangerous products out there with no warning sticker just waiting to go up the other nostril...

1,363 posts

Posted:
Medusa,, i read about that too,, talk about a darwin candidate....
Although i heard he apparently sued... AND WON....

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
didn't hear about the outcome of it...wouldn't surprise me though.

1,363 posts

Posted:
well was kinda web hearsay so wouldn't guarantee it,, but still.. more than a few sarnies short of a picnic either way

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

I don't think folks will go for just green all the time, besides anything it'd be pretty hard to find just green labels. If you're that fanatical, you'd probably only eating the finest meats and boiled vegtables and water, not factory processed foods and drinks.

Hahahaha. Yeah, even I wouldn't hit the green labels all the time bit, but I pretty much eat fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, occasional freash meat/fish, rice, seaweed, organic cheeses and... um... whole wheat bread, pickles, and weetabix! tongue

(It is hard to keep the fat level high enough some days. Other days my saturated fat goes thru the roof. Clearly cheese is a mixed blessing).

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Domino

I think we need a Bloody Stupid Act. (make your own jokes here)

Written by: Sym

yes, pratchett has many good ideas about the world...

ubblol ubblol I loved that idea. Catch-all solution to such a vast majority of crimes and complaints. Another one is:

"There is no such thing as a "Not guilty" plea in my court. Anyone who pleads "Not guilty" is guilty of wasting my time. Take him away!"

I think that should be the watch-phrase of the small claims courts. The amount of money spent on legal proceedings and appeals far outweighs the benefit to society given by the punishments. Like that random woman who got taken to court because she was eating a banana while driving or something. Cost like £34,000 to try her.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i think dunc has hit the nail on the head though...yes people are stupid, and always have been really...but if you were a judge and some of these cases came up you'd throw them straight out right?

by letting people sue companies they're setting a precident that other people will do all the thinking for you, and letting other people get away with it.

i think there's some pretty stupid legal decisions being made by someone, i reckon we should find out who they are and sue them for putting us all in danger of stupid people by letting them think they're right and allowing them to roam free!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
As discussed in a previous thread, many of the 'nanny state gone mad su-ing tales' are simply made-up, or exagerated.

Arguably, the few that are based on fact are more than balanced by the benefits of the 'sue culture', one example being that councils and businesses who previously ignored disabled access regulations are now much keener to sort their buildings out; mainly because groups representing disabled people have been pro-actively suing those who don't comply with the access laws.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There's no doubting legal changes and public perceptions of its rights and powers in this democractic country of ours, to win favourable changes and improve it's quality of life has many benefits for us Dave, it's specific changes that are questioned and classed as Nannying. But I know of few nannying accusations that don't have reasonable foundings, I say foundings and not fact as it's currently personal opinion not a measured (or at least recognised) change in social attitudes and/or governmental/judicial management pactices. And of course internet whispers, exagerations and urban folk lores happen for most things, not just nannying.

Winning a change in legislation to provide access for all, be they able bodied or not, in new modern business premises and urging business financial expenditure for change to older premises is hardly a case for nannying. I think we would be hard pressed to find someone using disabled access as an example of Nannying, apart perhaps for some specfic unique occurance away from the norm.

Real cases of Nannying and rediculous legal dicisions I have encountered in my life, these two are from my Pop who was in the ambulance service for well over 20 years.

1) Motor cyclist comes off his bike, my Dads mate is first on scene with his Paramedic (actually, I think is might have been LA not paramedic in those days....) partner. His leg is mashed, they cut open his leathers to aid his blood flow and apply effective treatment to save his leg. Soon after he sues and wins for new bike leathers off the ambulance service shrug as they cut off the ones he was wearing!

2) Ambulance man arrives on scene at a supermarket car park, a young child has been knocked over and is in a very bad way. An emmediate decision is to be made

i) either asses her condition and move the young girl into the back of the ambulance where essential equipment resides (and isn't removeable, this was the late 80's or so and no where near as fancy schmancy as todays ambulance equipment) within the a minute or she'll die.

Or

ii) Leave here there and take a minute or two to; get the stetcher from the ambulance, slowly slide a stretcher underneath her making sure not to risk movement to her neck, secure her body with straps, secure her head incase of the neck injury. Move her in the ambulance, remove the head support for treatment access, and hope she's still alive by the time you finish. All following procedure.

Not surprisingly option 1 was taken, the parents were later informed of what the procedures should be in the moments leading up to their daughters treatment and decided to sue for neglegance and the ambulance man was forced to leave the service.

All decisions judges allowed and set precident for. A small but a true account of Nannying and compensation culture and the negative affects it can ultimately have for us.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
The answe is simple. Everywhere should be covered in signs saying things like: 'We are not responsible for your lack of common sense' or even 'If it looks dangerous, it probably is. Don't conduct your own tests to find out'...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
These are all copied and pasted from a website:

On Sears hair dryer:
"Do not use while sleeping."

On a bag of Fritos:
"You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside."

On a bar of Dial soap:
"Directions: Use like regular soap."

On a Swann frozen dinner:
"Serving suggestion: Defrost."

On a hotel-provided shower cap in a box:
"Fits one head."

On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on bottom of the box):
"Do not turn upside down."

On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding:
"Product will be hot after heating."

On packaging for a Rowenta iron:
"Do not iron clothes on body."

On Boot's Children's cough medicine:
"Do not drive car or operate machinery."

On Nytol sleep aid:
"Warning: May cause drowsiness."

On a Korean kitchen knife:
"Warning: Keep out of children."

On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights:
"For indoor or outdoor use only."

On a Japanese food processor:
"Not to be used for the other use."

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
"Warning: Contains nuts."

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
"Instructions: Open packet, eat nuts."

On a Swedish chainsaw:
"Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."

On a child's Superman costume:
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
"Warning: Contains nuts."

Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Yeah, I always like that one too.
It's pretty handy for those with nut allergies, or for people (like myself) who just like the opportunity to point out that, in all likelihood, a bag of peanuts will contain no traces of nuts whatsoever, as peanuts aren't nuts smile tongue

Woohoo, another opportunity for the peanuts != nuts comment biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Page: