VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I'm just watching a documentary on the Picture of the Falling Man, taken on September 11th of a man jumping from the Twin Towers Link to picture some may find disturbing

The photo was published for one day in a handful of papers aroundthe wrold, and since has disappeared. Now the question raised by the documentary is should the photo have been published?

I think this photo should have been more widely seen than it was, it is such a powerful image that captures a feeling that a lot of the media coverage of the tragedy failed to capture. If i am honest, the true extent of the day's happenings have not properly hit me until i saw that picture.

all views welcome

[EDIT]

Also should the falling man be identified?

EDITED_BY: Vampyricacid (1142547739)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Apparently 1 in 6 people died on September 11th from jumping out of the builidings. I don't blame them, and I probably would have done the same if I were in the same situation.

"Temperatures at the point of impact reached more than 1,000C. Inside fire spread fast — carpets, furniture, computers and the building itself incinerated, creating a whirlwind of thick, noxious smoke that plumed up through the top storeys. For nearly 1,000 people trapped on floors 100 to 107 there was no exit."

I'm not watching the documentary (I want to but our reception is RUBBISH!), but the most startling factor about the photo of that man falling to his death is the calmness of it.
Such a peaceful photo on such a violent, catastrophic day.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
why should they not have published it? it's news, and although it's horrific, so was the whole day...

it's a very striking image, maybe disturbing, but i can't see the arguments against.....anyone?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I felt utterly depressed and distraught whilst watching this last night, which was a great way to relax at home during the only free time I get after being at work for 15 hours (including commute) frown
[/rant]

In my opinion, newspapers are there to report on what is happening in the world. This is what happened on Sept. 11th. They were showing the rest of the world what was happening. Therefore I see no problem with it being printed.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

I felt utterly depressed and distraught whilst watching this last night, which was a great way to relax at home

Ditto. I sat with my mummy and watched it. Made me very sad indeed.

It's news. You don't cut the bad bits out of because its bad. Its one of the most hard hitting images of the whole event. Shocking maybe. What was? Yes.

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
You might feel differently if you had family or friends in the towers on that horrible day. How would you feel if you opened a paper or turned on your TV and theres your mother/father/sister/brother/best friend/ect....being shown in the last second of thier life over and over and over

I know people who did and being bombarded with these images (still to this day they pop up on the news, papers, and documentarys) litterally makes some of them physically ill

I think the media takes things a bit to far when it comes to tragidies like 9/11....yes they need to report it but maybe a little discretion is in need. I mean I dont need to see people falling from the building to know that there were folks jumping to thier deaths. I've even seen footage of reports from the ground right before the towers fell and you could see body after body raining down....I think its terrible but maybe its because it hits so close to home.

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I was working when they showed it, hopefully there'll be a repeat one day

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
When you talk to New Yorkers who were there that day they will tell you that as they looked up at the burning towers they would occasionally see little black specks seem to fly out of the towers and then plummet straight down.

People, of course.

It made it more human in many ways. You can watch two towers fall and know that thousands of people are dying inside every second of the fall but not see their death. But for those who jumped, their deaths were witnessed by the world, including this man.

Yes, the picture looks almost peaceful. The man appears suspended, as if in repose, in mid-air. But in reality he is plummeting towards the ground at terminal velocity of lord-knows-how-fast and whatever else is going through his mind (And flying unprotected through the air at that speed can't possibly be comfortable) he knows that it's all going to end in a couple of seconds.

That man is someone's son, husband, perhaps, father, boyfriend, lover, friend...

And when you dwell on it a bit, it's not so peaceful, after all. Macabre, perhaps. But not peaceful.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

That man is someone's son, husband, perhaps, father, boyfriend, lover, friend...

And when you dwell on it a bit, it's not so peaceful, after all. Macabre, perhaps. But not peaceful.

Well said as a whole Doc but I really liked what I quoted
I personally cant see any peacefulness in anything that involves that tragedy
Oh and I love Google....Terminal velocity for a person falling without a parachute is 124 mph/200 kph.....thats how fast the man in that "peaceful" picture is heading twards the ground....not so peaceful now is it.

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Would you jump to your fate so you'd die instantly to save yourself from burning slowly to death? I probably would.
Just a thought though as I watched this documentary, there were pictures of people standing on the ledges of the windows and stuff, I thought that maybe some of them may have lost their foothold and fell accidentally as they stuggled for air on the ledges, instead of intending to jump. Anyone else have the same thought?

It was a very intense, tragic documentary.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TinklePants

Would you jump to your fate so you'd die instantly to save yourself from burning slowly to death? I probably would.

I would've been one of the ones to jump and end it quicky......but would I want my picture taken as I plummeted to my death? NO!!!!! I wouldnt want my family and friends to see it over and over and over. I think it would be tramatic enough for everyone without the media making it worse

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I can't possibly imagine what the people in that building went through or what the families of these people still go through everyday. I can only comment on what I would probably have done if I were there or if I were the surviving family or friend.

If I had been there in the building I hope I would have had the courage to jump. To at least feel the fresh air and freedom for a few seconds more has to be preferable to the smoke and heat. If it had been a family member of mine I would hope that by jumping they got to feel utterly free for those last few seconds of life.

Would I constantly be wanting to relive those seconds by seeing pictures and film footage over and over. I don't think so, but I can't say as I really don't know.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It is difficult to feel compassion for a situation until you see the faces of those who have been most effected by it.

It is easy to distance one's self from a statistic like "3000 people died" but hard to distance one's self from the image that "that man died."

IF you want to know what happend on 9/11, then THAT is what happened. Not statistics and politics.

It may sound morbid, but if that was my family member, I think I'd want that image out there. I think one of the worst parts for some of the family members is that people are forgetting.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
humanity constantly needs to reexperience and relearn and redo in order to recreate itself over and over.

Sad. but true. smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Loki_the_trickster

Written by: TinklePants

I would've been one of the ones to jump and end it quicky......but would I want my picture taken as I plummeted to my death? NO!!!!! I wouldnt want my family and friends to see it over and over and over. I think it would be tramatic enough for everyone without the media making it worse

i would want my picture taken and shown to the world it would show me taking my life in my hands and dying the way i wanted, the final grasp at a free world that is always promised never delivered

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?