Page: ...
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
umm The guy who's stealing it of course... wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Latest update on my situation, I received a telephone call finally from them and the guy said that the photos taken by the tech team show several dents and scratches along the outer casing, now I've had this thing for about 8 months, and it slowly started to have trouble around month 5, now as I said i've had it a bit of time and so obviously you get MINOR scratches from things like having it in your pocket along with keys or whatever, but its nothing serious, and certainly not enough (in my belief) to cause the severe internal damage of the hard drive, and definately not caused by minor scratches on the outer casing. However I understand from their point of view that even the slightest scratch means they can use that as an excuse to not act under the warranty, I really dont feel the scratches they say is in anyway linked to the hard drive failure but regardless of that or not they are using that as their reason for sending it back to me unfixed.

Any ideas, I dont want to admit defeat but if its a hopeless cause....

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What did you say to them? If you said that, wht must have come back with something?

Maybe you could take it to an Apple store and get them to look at it, atleast then it'ls face to face and you might be able to win them over.

good luck, don't give up at all, go to the top, get Steve to look at it if need be wink

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
I Agree with Sym,, your best bet sounds like wandering to an Apple store and speaking to real people face to face,, I'm trying to think of the nearest one to you and other than the Lakeside/Oxford street ones I'm coming up blank. A few scratches and a dent don't sound like you've given it too much of a pounding though frown hell I've bounced mine along the floor before in a missed coat pocket incident and its still fine...

Sounds like you hit a few service engineers after they'd had a really crappy day frown

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
sooo i've been reading this thread now, and decided to finally give my point of view.

Unless you get to a person and convince them face to face to fix it, it isn't gonna get fixed. Also, YES the dents CAN be a problem. Dents are caused by impacts only, not pressure or taps...impacts. And any jarring of the unit in a way severe enough to cause an actual dent in the casing is enough to cause the hard drive to have problems. ESPECIALLY when the thing is playing a song. Dont believe me? start playing music/a game/run a program on your PC and then whack your actual hard drive with a hammer or something (not enough to break, just enough to jarr).

Anwyays, the deal is, I work at Best Buy on the Geek Squad. I'm the guy people have to bring their IPODS to to have em fixed/sent to service to be fixed etc. I see WAY more problems than ANY of you can POSSIBLY imagine. If anyone here is gonna be an expert on how/when ipods break...its me. I get at LEAST 5 of the things in front of me EVERY DAY, for all kinds of problems, some software, many hardware, lots of em user damage. If its hardware we have to send it off to apple and they will look at it and fix it if necessary. I can not tell you the number of people who come in with ipods they've dropped a couple times and now they no longer work. You can always tell when it was dropped due to the impact points. And FOR ALL OF THESE PEOPLE with impact points, apple WILL NOT fix the ipod. unless it is deemed "non severe" meaning its a minor cosmetic thing, which isn't often. You drop it, its over.

Now, that being said, i know that sucks, and seems unfair... but thats how it is. The device is not meant to take a beating. This is why i ALWAYS recommend the HARD CASES for them so if it does get bumped/dropped/tapped it is less likely to have damage.

Of course, if you want MY opinion over all, NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy an Ipod. they suck. I know some of you mac ppl are gonna jump up and down now and fume and steam and throw a fit because YOUR ipod works SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well and YOU haven't had a problem. But tell that to the thousands of customers a year JUST at my ONE store, who have TONS of problems with their ipods. at least 1/4 of them DON'T get their ipods fixed. another 1/4 of them have to have their software restored/updated and reset (which is users problem NOT apples). Further more, you are so limited by the itunes software. and IT in itself is a huge pain.

want a good mp3 player? get a creative zen (less problems, more memory usually and cooler features.) or if you want a nice cool small one (similar to nano), get the Samsung Z5. NEITHER of these are limited by DRM issues, both have less problems (based on percent, not on total number of product out there) and both have MUCH better support (at least here in the US) since we pretty much just give you a new one or fix it. They are also more durable.

Regardless, good luck getting your ipod fixed man.

Oh, and all you ipod fans can now start flaming me if you wish, just bear in mind that while you have ONE ipod, i get the pleasure of dealing with 100's of them a month.
EDITED_BY: Imbalance (1143828417)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Imbalance

Dont believe me? start playing music/a game/run a program on your PC and then whack your actual hard drive with a hammer or something (not enough to break, just enough to jarr).

I don't think anyone should actually do that, but point taken.

I see WAY more problems than ANY of you can POSSIBLY imagine.

Really? You know about what jobs I've had? Amazing! It's not like I was a manager of a computer shop or anything... rolleyes

NEITHER of these are limited by DRM issues

I'm not sure how the iPod is - I have a full 40GB iPod and not one song on it has anything to do with DRM. They are all 100% clear MP3s, working fine smile Do the other players play something that has some how less DRM than an MP3? Do they play OGG? What about Flac?

Oh, and all you ipod fans can now start flaming me if you wish, just bear in mind that while you have ONE ipod, i get the pleasure of dealing with 100's of them a month.

Who? Me? There is no point in having a go at someone who sees more problems than I could possibly imagine, is there? Anyway, I don't really care all that much, I like my iPod and I'll not buy anything else till there is what I think to be a better player on the market. None of the others are any good from what I have seen, so I'll stick to apple smile

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
oooo, you've set him off now ubblol
on a serious note, mine's twatted up a few times with the whole skipping tunes thing and freezing, but nothing that hasn't been fixed by restoring the software, does the job well enough smile

... oh, and it's called piper (ipod-pipod-piper)

*produces sandwich- is happy*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I must say that I've never heard of so many woes for one basic product (although I'm talking all ipods sans shuffle) where folks are forced to reinstall so often, have loads of playback problems and have numerous complaints about the customer service, yet those who have experience all the problems still insist they're the best player on the market! And when one dies after a year just buy another the same confused

That's my point about marketing before, it's the winner for ipod sales not the product itself. People beleive it's the best, so it is. They bindly throw more and more money at apple yet often still aren't happy.

If it was any other product in their life they'd have chose a replacement from another manufacturer.

Imbalance I'm with you on Creative, I've never heard of problems with them that weren't fixed/replaced by the manufacture, but seeing as the % seems so much lower I suppose it's not really much of a problem.

andonandonandonandonandonandonandonandonandon biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BozBRONZE Member
sober
109 posts

Posted:
nah, she still works fine, had it two years, never had to send it off for fixing, no need for a new one, just a bit of temperamentality, which to be honest, i expect of all technology. shrug

*produces sandwich- is happy*

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Well i'll bring my ipod to falmouth and show you sym and yout ell me if you think its worthy or retrying this, I really do think Apple are just looking for an excuse to fail the guarantee and not give sort it out. I truly believe that this problem is not due to misuse and abuse but I guess that wont hold up will it, I'll go into the apple store and see what they say, theres one in town.

I agree with Sym in that i believe that Ipods are one of if not the leading MP3 players out there, but obviously if this happened again if I got a new ipod (that would my third one!!) how disappointing would that be.

I've lots fo good things about the Creative Zens too, but that wont solve the problem that half my stuff is AAC or MP4 format, or will it play it?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I bought an ishuffle, and had to follow some interesting instructions on the internet about how to initialise it without mac os or windows, using somebody elses blank installation files. Then I had to download a wee script to make a database out of the music files I put on the shuffle. All a bit skin of the teeth, am I going to destroy the firmware? type fun.

thou I enjoy potentially destroying brand new gadgets with untested code, it still annoys me that huge corporations don't take five minutes out of their day to code for linux.

gimpazoids.

still, chuffed to have an ishuffle working without win-[censored], or mac-I-stole-linux-os .

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

mac-I-stole-linux-os .

*cough*BSD UNIX*cough* ubbangel

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
OMG like there's such a HUGE difference. Almost as big as the difference between mammals and marsupials.

advertisement:

Have you given up on your proprietary operating system? Huge development costs and custom hardware cutting your profits? Well just give up and steal someone elses! Sure, you can pretend to buy it off a corporation and then make it into something that looks pretty and works exactly like linux / FreeBSD! No more stability problems, no more compatibility problems and what's more, a huge international pool of developers and software freely availible for your new platform! Still not convinced? Well, it's also highly secure!

Make some cool modifications? Since you're a big corporation with no heart, you don't need to contribute anything back to the community you're making use of! Just take all the good stuff, and run all the way to the bank!

next week: java and c# a

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
ubblol

My point was that because darwin is BSD, anyone can do just that. It's not stealing because BSD allows people to take it and sell it on...

The problem is really with BSD, now apple. I would welcome other large OS makers taking BSD software and using it to power 90% of the worlds computers, wouldn't you?

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I wish I knew what Linux was ubblol

Anyway latest update is actually a happy one, I complained big time at them about how I felt and how i went to ana pple store and the tech guy there also thought the scratches werent conclusive to warrant the major hard drive failure it had experienced. So after much anger and being passed from customer service to tech support back to customer service they finally agreed to make an exception and I just sent it back to them where they will either fix it or replace it no matter what.

Just goes to show that if you complain enough and keep on at them things happen smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
bounce bounce2 biggrin Yay!

1,363 posts

Posted:
Excellent biggrin So football time when the new one turns up eh wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
not really. Neither the BSD community nor the linux one (which they could port over too) have seen any benefit from apple making a big fuss out of their product.

So why would I want Microsoft to buy a flavour of linux, make it 'better'? (which means easier for people who never seen metal before to use and more buggy all over.) Nothing would change for me. Loads of new developers would try and fix microsofts broken, now-proprietary linux code. Drivers would be written for microsoft linux and people would still have to port them to proper linux. Companies probably still wouldn't consider making games / useful software programs for linux, just for windows and apple as per usual. Microsoft would probably rewrite the kernel with rock solid DRM in it.

And what's more: I would have to hire an elite mercenary team to kill all of microsoft for crimes against decency.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
clap YAY WILL!! biggrin

1,363 posts

Posted:
Just about related silliness.....

bwahahaha

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

And what's more: I would have to hire an elite mercenary team to kill all of microsoft for crimes against decency.

Quote of the day

ubblol

hug

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol @ the video Pen Draven found ubblol

ThePissedHippieBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
yo appls not evil u just happened to get one of the bad ipods that they produced lol. i know howu fel man lol i got my vid ipod and it died and hey wouldnt refund it .. the best thingu can do is to go find a comp store that deals in mks and see if one of their peeps can fix it for ya they r usualy nice if no twel lthen ur screwed and ull just have to buy antoher one

"tis not the dark i fear, but the creatures that lurk within it"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

...to copy mp3s from my player to my pc...software like this

Does anyone know equivalent software that enables file transfer from iPod to Mac?

And hmm yes, my daughter's iPod occasionally froze. My local mac shop, not even where I bought it, replaced it on the spot. Same place that fixed my human-damaged iBook under warranty.
I needed to phone Mac support a few times when I bought my new iBook (to help me through something I stuffed up) and they were amazing. Answered the phone in seconds, real (local) person, helpful, able to get back to the same person next time etc.

And in case any of you happy Mac users don't know about it already, try a spot of acquisition wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Good timing, this thread... I'm looking for an upgrade to my old 128KB benq joybee (was cheap and small).

But I'm leaning towards the Creative Vision:M, cause it comes in green!!!!

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
well, if the Creative Vision is a better item, go for it... iPods come in Green too...minis anyway... that's what my daughter person has.

1,363 posts

Posted:
NewGabe,, goto versiontracker.com,, good place for lots of software downloady type stuff,, and for pulling files back off my pod and onto the mac i use something called podutil

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
thanks for that Pen Draven! Excellent!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Ye, gabe, I know... don't want a mini though... only 4GB. The vision:m is 30GB... so it'll keep me going for a long, long time.

Provided, of course, I don't drop it... but really... they're cramming 30GB into a tiny little handheld machine and playing (up to) CD quality music, pics and vids. Is it any wonder that they're delicate? Given that I drop my mobile phone @ least once every day, usually on concrete, I guess I'd better get a hard case and some bubble wrap...

To be honest, after reading a whole bunch of reviews on a whole bunch of mp3 players, it's all going to come down to impulse/instinct/whim in the end. There are quite a lot of really good alternatives, no matter what your criteria for choosing is... 1GB, 4GB, 30GB... colour, screen, video/pics... most every manufacturer has most things covered. *ALL* devices have at least some shortcomings, *ALL* have some advantages...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Oh man, I can't believe I didn't find this thread earlier. Personally I'm on the side of Ipods being sub-standard, and like a few others in this debate, work in a shop that sells the wee buggers. While I do get a whole sh*tload of complaints about them being broken and such, a good 60% of the ones I;ve dealt with are easily enough fixed with a reset, but that carries the risk of losing all of your music. For anyone about to buy a new MP3 player or upgrade their existing one excl DO NOT get an Ipod, my brother just bought himself a 30Gb video all by himself (note, he's only 15) and what happened, one day it just decided to stop, completely frozen only 3 months after buying the damned thing. Would apple fix or replace it? No, they claimed that it was frozen because it had been left in the cold for too long (apple getting smart with us?) Granted we do live in a cold environment but not so cold that it could do any kind of damage to electronics. In my house we run so many computers, gaming machines, MP3 players and handheld devices that we should know by now that the temperature has no effect on them whatsoever. Well, that's my rant for the month, I'm going to go and have a nice hot chocolate. biggrin

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

Page: ...