Page: ......
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
for people interested, there's a mp3 player hacked GUI called rockbox, which offers real improveents like 5 level EQ, gapless playback, more media support....
here's a link:
https://www.rockbox.org/

i love my 5g ipod, it's display is perffect res for HOP fire videos, lasts ages, and the 60GB is a luxury as it stores my bulky graphic design/development between work and home systems...

it's useful to have footage of a staff matrix or parkour stuff when you're too incapacitated to describe with words alone.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

And in case any of you happy Mac users don't know about it already, try a spot of acquisition wink

nice one gabe - will definitely be getting a copy of that little gem biggrin

i've posted your link over in the bittorrent client thread so people reading that can benefit too smile

i ubblove my ipod too mr bender.

rockbox looks great but i'm scared that i won't be able to get the apple firmware back onto the player if i write over it - anyone know where we can download ipod firmware from...?

and on a related note, podutil seems to cover it, but if i chose to use itunes exclusively, does anyone know if i should expect to encounter any problems having two ipods registered to the same mac?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
as long as you make sure that auto updating of playlists isnt turned on you should be fine coleman,, well thats my experience anyhow as we're always swapping pods about on the macs here at t'office.

As for the pods being substandard / not feature rich... Its a music player and as such it works for me,, the menus simple everythings there in 4 clicks if that... Job done. Plus something many people forget is iTunes... Thats one of the main plus points for me,, it just works and works well,, especially on a pc,, lol i remember music match and of course M$'s lovely i dont care if its your cd if you rip it I'll drm your lovely cak wma file anyhow lol

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i dub thee thread the geekiest Hop thread ever...
..ARISE O THREADLORD OF HAXOR'D STUFFS! (+1 fire protection)

and now a word from our furry sponsors

Non-Https Image Link

the MAC GUI makes me weep but strangely the click-wheel of recent gen ipods do so much with so few controls.... www.homeofipod.com!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
just realised rockbox isn't available for 3g ipods frown

guess that's what i get for being an early(ish) adopter.

my lady has borrowed my ipod this weekend so i'm left with using one of these (not so) little beauty's to play me music on ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
bet your gutted mr C wink

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
biggrin hug2 biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hmmn, just got given an ipod...Was pretty excited, just cause I have never had anything like it. Was expecting this little toy you see people dancing around in the TV commercials with... and then today this major huge box arrived in the mail! HUGE!!!

Yes, there is the little thing,and the earphones, ( frankly the only recognizable bits) but then there is also a ton of other related gizmos, cords, stands, lighter attachments,????? What the heck is all this?

I think this device might just be able to cook me a nice dinner, and chill the wine...

Thing is, I hate sorting through this kind of stuff. Is there no "on" button? I thought mac was supposed to be user friendly? Do I really have to watch some kind of DVD in order to learn how to play music? There is no written handbook or anything, which I would still hate but at least give a try .Am I going to have to spend hours on
computers trying to figure out the software issues you guys have been discussing, none of which I even remotely understand?

Sigh. Someone, please, come vist me soon, someone who either knows how to use an IPOD that comes with enough gadgetry to build and launch a rocketship, or someone that wants to take this one away...

Maybe I will bring it to PLay, and EJC, so you can just show me.That would be better, no?

Sorry! I am just complaining, dont expect any real answers. I am definately a luddite!

hug

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
andrealee, do not fear, all those adaptors and stuff are all a little annoying at first, but you'll get there, just have a little sit down with the instruction manual and see what it has to say about them all. I've chewed my way through a couple of ipods by now and if there's one thing i've noticed, its just how many of those adaptors go back in the box and never come out again, even the head phones stay in my ipod box. (because i've got better ones; as aposed to having developed somekind of telepathic link with the little fucker)

just take the little beauty and plug it into your computer. install/run a copy of itunes, and drag stuff onto it. Do it yourself once, and you'll never need to ask for instructions ever again. Don't worry about the ipod not having an on button, its already one step ahead of you on that front,you'll see what i mean.

the really silly part, is that i've just spent all this time writing this post, and you'll more than likely have worked out everything you need to know by yourself a good 4 or 5 hours ago :-)

pat x
EDITED_BY: Megafish (1145705261)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Nope, I put it back in the box and went out dancing...
Thanks for the reasssurance.
Will pull it out and look at it this am.

I guess lack of instruction manual is the biggest factor.

So, where exactly on my computer do I plug it in?
No, seriously!!!...
lol

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: andrealee

So, where exactly on my computer do I plug it in?
No, seriously!!!...
lol

hey andrea,

you can find all the manuals online if you really want them: https://www.apple.com/support/manuals/index_a_title_5.html

if there seem to be too many there, tell me which kind of ipod you have (it should say on the box or you can otherwise work it out by where the buttons are placed and whether it has a colour or a monochrome screen) and i'll find the right manual for you.

as for the leads, look at the plugs you have on them and see if any of them fit into any of the holes on your computer - don't worry, you won't be able to plug into a hole it shouldn't go into wink

once you have found the right plug hole, plug your ipod dock into the other end of the lead and you're away smile

apple not printing manuals is a good thing imho - many computer hardware/software manufacturers have taken this approach and i support it fully.

the ipod manual may be only 64 pages long but apple have sold around 40 million ipods! think of how many trees they have saved simply by supplying the manual on a disc or online...

good luck with your ipod! hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Oh, I guess it is good they dont go killing trees unneccesarily. I agree, most people would be willing and able to look things up online.

But then there's me...

I have decided to solve the problem by having a Party, and inviting lots of fun interesting talented people who enjoy playing with these sorts of things.

I will just leave it out, and someone is sure to do something with it( computer oriented people are drawn to them like bees to honey) , at which point I will smile sweetly and somehow ?? encourage/elicit their aid in demonstrating what needs to be done to make the thing play me some music...

A cunning plot, but I am sure it will be an most enjoyable approach, much more so than searching online manuals.

Thanks for the backup plan though!
wink
hug

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Ok, i have just read this whole thread... it was tiring... but nevertheless... i would like to buy an mp3 player of reasonable size and price, when i have some money, and a job, and after i've been to the dentist... but i can at least look for the moment....

so. i have come to the conclusion, ipod is too expensive, and i don't want one of them. However i am torn between, an all singing all dancing creative zen micro photo (8Gb) which has also radio and voice recording(!) or archos Gmini202 something, which is 20gb, so very dinky but without all the fancy stuff.... but they are the same price.... anyone know what archos players are like?

i already have 8.25Gb of mp3s on my computer, and although i won't be putting half of those on, it could be an issue as i also have a lot of CDs yet to be ripped... i'd also like to have the opportunity to use it for saving and transferring other data files, possibly even backing things up on there (it is a harddrive after all...), not to view necessarily, but for access... so more space the better really, but i am prepared to compromise if i get exciting things like radio, and voice recording....

so i don't really know which to go for, like i say, they are around the same price, in dixons the archos one is actually cheaper.... Aesthetics wise, none of them particularly grab me, but these ones are little, and that i like.... and the creative one comes in a wide range of pretty colours....

Mainly i am just posting in this thread because i am being indecisive... but also...

m4a. format annoys me, especially as i used an old version of itunes to rip mp3s before, and my current dinky 256mb 2yr old player didn't like it when i ripped a load of stuff with the new version and it put it in this format, thus rendering a good hours work of cd ripping, utterly pointless...

in relation to something mentioned much further down this thread, my computer's are named Milo a faithful little fella whose been adopted by my mother and Vanja Vaio although i'm still not convinced Vanja suits him...

anyway, if someone wants to make a decision about mp3 players for me, that would be great, although by the time i get around to getting one, they'll probably be a whole new range available...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
You could do what I did and buy second hand. I just hunted ebay for a few days till I found my creative about to end on a good price. I got the zen touch 20gb for £100 just over a a year ago which at the time was a super bargain. Although the other week I saw an identical one go for £35!! 20gb for £35!!! Now that really is a bargain if you're not fussed about full colour screen and picture stuff!

So my recomendation is any player you like, it's always half price a year after it's released and 99% of 2nd hand stuff is fine to use. If manage to buy locally you can always send the boys round to their house if it's a dud ubblol *imagines Rossco being a hard man*

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
Mine was expensive, I bought it at least a year ago possibly 2 and I think it was £240. I looked (though only briefly) and can't find it now. I-River HP-140 it is and i've never had a problem with it other than my own ignorance.

I then realised I don't have 40GB of music and have no idea how to play with all those options on it.

*Note to self: Get other people to buy technology for you, you are an idiot*
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1146730104)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

You could do what I did and buy second hand. I just hunted ebay for a few days till I found my creative about to end on a good price. I got the zen touch 20gb for £100 just over a a year ago which at the time was a super bargain. Although the other week I saw an identical one go for £35!! 20gb for £35!!! Now that really is a bargain if you're not fussed about full colour screen and picture stuff!

So my recomendation is any player you like, it's always half price a year after it's released and 99% of 2nd hand stuff is fine to use. If manage to buy locally you can always send the boys round to their house if it's a dud ubblol *imagines Rossco being a hard man*

oooh.. ebay, good plan...! maybe just maybe, i'll get the next one for £20... hehe

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK speaking of eBay:

I want to buy the brand new Sony minisdisc MZ-M100, which is the first one they have made (FINALLY!) which downloads to a Mac/in mp3. I want it to go to Morocco with at the end of May. (mostly to use for recordings, not as a music player particularly...)

It is not yet available in Oz, and due to be released in the Uk/Europe during May. Like now. Have phoned Tottenham Ct Rd electronics chappies who say that they hope it will be on the shelves by the time I need to buy one, but... ya know, maybe not, who knows when the ship comes in etc.

It is available already in USA, eg via eBay. So does anyone have experience in getting such things shipped from USA to UK? Are there usually tarrifs, customs delays etc??

A second half of this is that I am stopping in Dubai on my way over. Has anyone been there recently enough to know if they tend to have spanking new stuff before Europe does?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

1,643 posts

Posted:
i've had to pay customs tariffs on a t-shirt being shipped from the usa before, but i think it is largely random what gets through and what doesn't, because i also ordered a book and it arrived within a week... I would imagine that you would have to pay something on an electrical item though... although i've never tried it so i'm not sure what... and yeah it does get delayed because they hold it at the airport where it comes in until you pay.

as for dubai... no clue on that one, can you contact sony and ask?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I just bought a creative zen microphoto. Given up on my minidisc player and anything to do with sony sonic stage (good luck there Gabe!).

So far, so good. It's at least very pretty, although a bit miffed about having to buy a power adapter so I can charge it up a lot faster and without a computer.

I spent hours yesterday, running round all the shops in Glasgow, trying to find one that had a zen in stock that wasn't pink! Eventually I managed to find a dark blue one, not my first preference, but a lot better than pink!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
okay, so I got the ipod working, and was scrolling around finding out what it does, hit backlight, and the screen is now frozen. Anyone know why and or what to do about it?

Thanks,
Andrea

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen an ipod recently however some other mp3 players have a reset button, the kind you have to find something really thin to push. If such a thing doesn't exist then hopefully someone who knows what there talking about can help wink

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
thanks Keiron, the party ploy worked so last night there were lots of people who knew how these things worked,and showed me how to make it work properly... I learn so much better by people demonstrating things...

SHould be a fun little toy!

Now I just have to recover from the hangover...
smiles,
A

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think this really needs a space in this thread wink

pods awaaaaaay

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
https://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

ubblol

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
yeah the dirty little battery life thing is somewhat offensive. (not the movie, the reality)

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:

So does anyone have experience in getting such things shipped from USA to UK? Are there usually tarrifs, customs delays etc??

wave

My big bro' bought me a Creative Zen Micro from Japan and shipped it over to me. I had to pay customs on it when it entered the UK (even though it was marked as a gift). Apparently you have to pay customs on anything over the value of £30 (gift or not) that's shipped to the UK. But it was still loads cheaper than buying it over here clap

Gabe - did you decide what to do???

ubbrollsmile

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Wow i didn't realise there was a whole massive thread dedicated to dodgy ipods.

Guess i shoulda searched before making that other thread, oh well.

My lady bought a 20gb iriver and it crashes quite a lot so it's not jsut ipods.

Still have never got round to getting an mp3 player, i think when i do it will be a little usb flash one. Cheap cheap.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*nods*

A gig for £15 is pretty easy to come buy these days Matt

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
my creative broke within 2 weeks of having it frown gutted frown but I sent it back, and got my replacement yesterday. Hopefully it'll work fine now.

bounce2

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Helz Bellz

So does anyone have experience in getting such things shipped from USA to UK? Are there usually tarrifs, customs delays etc??

Gabe - did you decide what to do???

Indeed I have Hels. biggrin
Stayed in touch (or Skype at least) with Tott Ct Rd dudes (enjoying the Indian accents to the max) and have pretty much acquired the first of the new model minidiscs released in the UK with the aid of My Man In London. well, my boy in london anyway... wink Should be in his hot hands today or so.

It's a different model number and appearance to the US one: Now called MZ-RH1
(easily confused with the MZ-RH10 which only uses horrid Sonic Stage/PCs. I am trusting the Mac software is better. And as it is supposed to output in mp3 it should be OK. If not I shall be back down the Tott Ct Rd!!

Am also cancelling the Dubai stopover cos the place just is too expensive. There doesn't seem to be sqat do there but fake 'bedouin' feasts and shopping since Zanzibar isn't going to be there. (That sentence makes no sense does it? Cue French juggler with a penchant for orange trousers) SO now I'm arriving in London Thurs 24th. Is that offtopic ? Not to me ubbrollsmile

Page: ......