Page: ...
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
First off, I think you were unlucky with your iPods - every other report I've had has been very good about them. I've had mine for over 2 years and apart from the battery going a bit it's still fine.

I think you do have a case with Apple - you should call support and kick up a fuss. Take some pictures of it as well and post them about the internet (you could email boingboing.net about it - they like to cover this sort of thing). In other words, give them a load of bad press on the internet if you can.

How is it broken by the way? I'm sure we can sort it out for you. As for other players - I've never seen one that is even half as good as an iPod IMHO, so I can't advise you at all.

Good luck hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I really dont want to call tech support again, it always go straight to an indian call centre where the guy doesnt have a clue what im saying and will only end up stressing me out like last time. the problem with the ipod was it started about 5 months in stalling and stuff, then when i pressed play it would try and play a song wouldnt even start and then just skip tot he enxt one and continuously do it, I would occassionalyl get the unhappy ipod sign, I have done resets, formats restores software and firmware updates the lot, I took it to the apple shop (I didnt get it from there but I went to ask advice) and he lsitened to the hard drive etc and said "Your hard drive is knackered" send it back, i did and like I said they said that it seems it has been damaged due to misuse/abuse which is a load of crap to be honest!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

I think you do have a case with Apple - you should call support and kick up a fuss. Take some pictures of it as well and post them about the internet (you could email boingboing.net about it - they like to cover this sort of thing). In other words, give them a load of bad press on the internet if you can.

yep.

when you speak to them, demand that they specify what they think you did to break it - i.e. exactly why it does not work and what could have caused such an error.

after all, if they can't tell you how it broke, how can they possibly say with any authority that it was your fault?

if they say that they can't tell you any more than they already have, make sure you get them to send you that in writing and mention that you'll be passing their comments on to the financial ombudsman.

and just as a matter of interest, how come this is your second ipod in 3 years - what happened to the other one...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
about 2 years into having my first ipod over the space of about 6 months it slowly started going but, the hold button would even when off think it was on, button had to be pushed harder and harder wouldnt respond etc, in the end i gave up waited a bit and bought this new one.

I've been searching thweir website for tech support email address but cant find it anywhere, the original email isnt a reply to address frown anyone have any ideas?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
ipods suck. but it sounds like your best bet will be to kick up a fuss and get it replaced.

If you do decide to change to a different brand (which there are LOADS of good reasons for, because as i mentioned, ipods suck), then there are free to download converters to change mpeg4 & m4a to mp3. Just google for them.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just got a creative zen touch.

really cheep

and i do like it.

as far as customer service goes. the first line of defence is always useless. keep at them and demanding to see the supervisor. you dont even have to be mean most of these guys are happy to pass you up if you can give them a valid excuse. like a quesion they cant answer.

Dont accept call backs. tell them you'll hold. keep holding, keep demanding. you will lwin out in the end. try the sales department instead...

ring the customer complaints dept. make a complaint. then ring customer service and tell them what you did... they might be quicker to help you. threaten legal action. that usually a good one...

good luck...

smile

Love is the law.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
why do ipods suck? is that fact or opinion?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Thats simons opinion- he doesn't want one because they are mainstream (amongst other things I'm sure he now go on too list biggrin) tongue

There are things that ipods don't do (or don't do very well relative to often imitative competitors) but they still the prettiest and most ergonomically pleasant to use. I'm sad someone stood on mine and broke it frown

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Is it a good idea to admit to things I didnt do?
umm

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
what, treading on my ipod?

Am I causing you to be spiteful Jon?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
spiteful? me? wha? umm

I was going to admit to breaking your Ipod, but seeing as it wasnt actually me (to the best of my knowledge), and seeing as I didnt even know you had an Ipod, and seeing as I dont know when it was broken... i thought I would check first.

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Chutney

Thats simons opinion

actually i think it's a fact. but that's just my opinion.

Written by: chutney

they still the prettiest and most ergonomically pleasant to use.

that's your opinion. and it's wrong tongue

the mainstreamness of the ipod isn't the cause of my dislike. It simply lacks functionality. For a start, i like to be able to copy mp3s from my player to my pc shrug

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Will - buy a new one??? lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ipod's kick ar5e ubblove

the only people that don't like them are those that have never had one tongue

Written by: simian

the mainstreamness of the ipod isn't the cause of my dislike. It simply lacks functionality. For a start, i like to be able to copy mp3s from my player to my pc shrug

if that is your main criticism monkey, it is has been rendered completely invalid since software like this exists.

it solves all the functionality shortcomings and goes on to do make my ipod do more than i could possibly want from an mp3 player.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

it solves all the functionality shortcomings

hence, there are functionality shortcomings that needed solving. My Creative had no such requirements.

i could start talking about Apples attempts to create a vertical monopoly in the industry, which is probably the most valid criticism of the ipod, but
 Written by: Pyrowill

I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one

so we'll just have to leave it there with me having the last word devil

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Argh! Don't get me started on Ipods!

I gave up on mine. I've had it for 5 months and the battery dies within 5, 10 minutes max. After being fully charged.

I can't be bothered erasing all my songs, filling out a form on the net, and sending it away for however many weeks it will take!

My friends have all had issues with their ipod mini's too.

I'm just giving up. I think I'll go for another brand next time...

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
monkey - you didn't say that it had software shortcomings that need solving or even that it didn't have full functionality straight out of the box - you simply said it lacked functionality and couldn't do things that you wanted it to do.

that is untrue tongue

if the shortcomings of the software bundled with the hardware qualifies for a 'lack of functionality' of the hardware then you could just as well say that pc's 'lack functionality' shrug

and after saying "the mainstreamness of the ipod isn't the cause of my dislike" you now make reference to "Apple's attempts to create a vertical monopoly in the industry, which is probably the most valid criticism of the ipod" - do you hate it for being sucessful or not...?

my ipod is all white and shiny 2 years after i bought it, has lovely touch controls and has a great range of third party software and hardware to support it.

which means it looks better, feels better and *is* better than the other players on the market.

this is just the walkman argument updated for the new century - the monopoly criticism was levelled at sony when they virtually created the personal portable music market in the late 70's/early 80's.

the same is happening to apple now.

consider this: what was the state of the portable mp3 player market before ipods...?

roarfire - just get one of these.

comes with full instructions and is really easy to do. smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Col, I'll back you up here - Apple have come in to the market with an amazing product, and taken it over. They have stoped some features that they could have put in becuase (I guess) because of potential copyright laws (think about being able to copy music off a fully loaded iPod out of the box - they wouldn't get people signing up to the music store if they did that).

Anyway, this is not a debate about Apple.

Will - being an Apple follower I am keen for them to do the right thing and sort it out for you. I am quite good at getting what I want on the phone (and in other places like wetherspoons...), and I have found that you need to talk to a manager and tell them you are contacting trading standards about it. If it comes to it, write to apple with pictures and give them a deadline to reply by (1 week is a good idea). forward everything apple said to trading standards and they will follow it up. they do a great job. If you really don't want an iPod any more then you can always sell it on ebay and get something else.

I really think you can get a new iPod here, you just need to fuss about it. You can tell them that you are going to the press as well if you like wink

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
 Written by: chutney

they still the prettiest and most ergonomically pleasant to use.

that's your opinion. and it's wrong tongue

Touché smile

Cole- thanks for the replacemtn bettery link- I think I might do the same, only prob is that the screen on mine died as well- any ideas if that is replaceable? biggrin

[edit] no it isn't- I just got told by apple that they would charge me lots of money for a refurn unit of the same age and size as the one I have. I'm ordering a battery though biggrin
EDITED_BY: Mr Chutney (1142522925)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - you can even have a red screen if you want biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
it may end up having to be another ipod then frown in july last year i bought a 20Gb Ipod photo one, it cost 210 then, now i see you can get a 30Gb video one for 190, bloody hell, still I really shouldnt have to buy a enw one, does anyone know a support email address for apple? its hiding

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Phone their store, its in ireland so you get to hear the amazingness of their female tech support people (chauvinistc i know but hey their voices turn me goooey) just say you want to talk to tech support about your ipod, and if that doesnt work then ask to speak to the manager, their really quite friendly smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You're quite right about the tech support people ubblove wink

I just emailed support@apple.com and got this back:

Written by: Apple

Thank you for writing to support@apple.com or techsupport@apple.com.

You've probably written us with a technical question, a problem that needs
addressing or some feedback about our products or support resources. We
want to be sure to help you get the assistance you need, so please read this
message for where to go to get help.

We apologize for not being able to answer your question directly via email.
However, we do have a number of web and phone resources that you can use
to get answers to your questions.

Apple maintains an extensive support site at:
All support content including specific product support pages, software updates,
links to our discussion forums, and our support knowledgebase are available
at this address.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"their voices turn me goooey"
ditto

I ubblove the female irish accent. biggrin

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
 Written by: apple

Technical Support Options
To get technical support over the phone, please call 0870 876 0753 (UK) or 1850 946 191 (Ireland). Lines are open Monday-Friday 0800-1945 and Saturday 1000-1745. If your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not have to pay for the support. Otherwise, you may purchase per-incident support for £35 (UK) or €47.19 (Ireland).

I just spoke to them- you'll need your serial number on the back of the unit.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Cole

consider this: what was the state of the portable mp3 player market before ipods...?

It was great, all those flash based mp3 players were awesome. I had a creative flashbased MP3 player about 5 years ago and it was old then. It was 128kb and cost me £30. Suddenly overpriced ipods come out and the same player was £100 in dixons frown Oh and the Creative Nomad Jukebox was a hardisk player released before the ipod too (or should I say was around and inspired the ipod design tongue )
Although it was just a rebranded Samsung Yepp YP-D40.

But of course it wasn't as heavily marketed or looked as pretty as the ipod which is why your memory has probably forgotten all about the other great players that were around before ipod and before Apples awesome marketing machine made everyone else forget/stopped them noticing that alternatives really did exist wink

The market was fine before ipod, and it was great afterwards, and it'll be even better once the playing feild is levelled out a bit. Just as in the 90's when other decent tape players came out at a realistic price that blew sony out of the portable music market market they created.

ipod isn't the bee and end all of music players, just the best marketed and almost certainly the prettiest, although personally I spend very little time looking at my player while it whistles tunes of sweet delight into my ears or my car stereomaphone

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've been a Mac user since, well, I was born. I learned to read and write on a Mac IIx and have had about 15 other Macs including an eMac which had to be replaced (twice) due to a screen fault and the now legendary iBook with the duff logic board. I'm currently using an iBook G4 and apart from the two faults I've mentioned have never had to call tech support and I can count the number of times my computers have crashed on one hand (genuinely). But enough of that.

I've had three iPods (a 5Gb gen 1, a 10Gb 2003 model and a 1Gb shuffle) and all of them work really well. I still get really good battery life from each of them but because I use laptops a lot I'm really anal about looking after batteries. I got into the habbit of completely draining my battery whenever I could and then completely recharging them. My iBook G4 still gets about 5 and a half hours on the battery even though its almost 18 old. I know people who have had their laptops for less time and their battery.

This link might help https://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

All of my iPods (especially the gen 1 one) still last for most of their battery time.

My advice for keeping batteries going for ages:

1. Completely discharge and recharge the battery at least once a week (its pretty easy for me to do as I have 6 hours of lectures and labs on a Tuesday)

2. Use compressed files (I know Apple say this too but using FLAC or WAV on a iPod defeats the purpose of one and it also means the hard drive is on longer)

3. Try and make playlists less than 32Mb (also means the hard disc is on less)

Hope this helps.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

all those flash based mp3 players were awesome. I had a creative flashbased MP3 player about 5 years ago and it was old then. It was 128kb and cost me £30. Suddenly overpriced ipods come out and the same player was £100 in dixons

but the first ipods were all hard disk based and the minimum size was 10gb - can you really compare the markets for those two products?

the main format for portable music back then was still up for grabs.

minidisk players still had a fairly decent market share so the mp3 player market was in its infancy.

Written by: dunc

But of course it wasn't as heavily marketed or looked as pretty as the ipod which is why your memory has probably forgotten all about the other great players that were around before ipod and before Apples awesome marketing machine made everyone else forget/stopped them noticing that alternatives really did exist wink

ipod suceeded through more than just 'good marketing'

they got and held their market share thorugh a combination of things:

fun-to-use, easy to understand controls;

an ultra-simple software menu;

effortless song synchronization with Mac or Windows;

seamless, rock-solid integration with an online music store (iTunes);

first and third party accessories coming out of your eyeballs.

The market was fine before ipod, and it was great afterwards, and it'll be even better once the playing feild is levelled out a bit. Just as in the 90's when other decent tape players came out at a realistic price that blew sony out of the portable music market market they created.

agreed, but it'll be harder for someone to do with ipods because of the combination of factors i listed that contribute to their sucess and hold on the market.

ipod isn't the bee and end all of music players, just the best marketed and almost certainly the prettiest, although personally I spend very little time looking at my player while it whistles tunes of sweet delight into my ears or my car stereomaphone

double agreed.

i just don't think its fair to say 'that product is rubbish' when it blatently isn't - especially as it would never have got where it is today if it were.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

offtopic It really irritates me when I see people wandering about town with their iPods on display. Its as though they're screaming "I have an expensive music box-thingy. Mug me!!!". Some day I might do just that and see how they like it ubbangel

Anyone's thoughts on the iPod HiFi? I think its a waste of money but thats just me.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Hva you heard one spook? I'm intrigued and, dare I say it, possibly tempted.

Page: ...