Page: ...
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

zamiriiBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
I've been looking at the 4GB Ipods vs the 8GB Creative Zen -- the Price is better on the creative - but i detest WMP -

I agree that the removeable/replaceable battery on the Zen is what's really drawing my attention - has anybody heard how good the shock/antiskip tech is on them though since they are hard drive based and not flash.

Every Day I add another name to the list of people who piss me off

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
from my understanding you don't need to use WMplayer with the zen, although it's built for that, because it works as a removable disk/external harddrive, so you should be able to just copy mp3s from your computer directly... which IMO is easier anyway

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
The Zen micro that I have is compatible with any media player (supposedly). Its certainly compatible with the ones I have, and also works as a removable hard drive.

Thumbs up all round! smile

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
After deliberation I have decided to replace my Sony NWHD3 (which had an appointment with a closing car door) with a Creative Zen Vision:M Black 30GB.

Everything the iPod has but with FM Stereo, FM-Recorder and Voice Recorder (the clincher as I always have thoughts and ideas for creative stuff but always forget to write down)
And £10 cheaper than the iPod

I just wish it had a click-wheel...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

1,643 posts

Posted:
Vision:M you say? hmmmmmmm.....

*still not decided and failed dismally at trying to get one for 20 quid on ebay*

1,643 posts

Posted:
ok, i have two questions about that

1/ when you hold it, is it actually relatively sized like this:

Non-Https Image Link

or is that a really big hand?

and 2/ is the white blob thing in the middle strictly necessary?

i want a dinky cute one, and am still veering towards microphoto despite its obvious lacking in the Gigabytage area...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
nooooooooooooooooo! My creative zen microphoto randomly decided to delete all my music last night. I just turned it on and it was all gone, yet it said that the memory was still nearly full. I looked and all the folders were still there, but they were just empty. As I have limited internet access at the moment I couldn't even look on the website for advice so I ended up just having to reformat the player! Gutting! why, just why!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
www.idont.com

smile

1,643 posts

Posted:
i done it, i bit the bullet and bought microphoto, having come to the conclusion that if 8gb isn't enough then i will just have to be more discerning about what goes on there... nothing more to say on it though, not arriving til next week... smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnConvincinglyOvertlyFunny

www.idont.com

smile

ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

sorry couldn't resist this ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
idon't.com have been advertising on the tube recently - lots.

after seeing the third iteration, i got interested and had a look to see what it was all about - knowing how much it costs to advertise on the tube, i thought that it was most likely to be a rival product.

turned out it was indeed a viral marketing campaign by sandisk - a shameless attempt to jump on the back of apple's marketing i think we'd all agree wink

it still would have been quite cool, if only the product they are advertising (their flagship mp3 player) didn't look like a sony eriksson walkman phone with a total ripoff of the ipod control system, including a cheap-as-chips clickwheel - it wants to be an ipod so bad its laughable!

with the marketing campaign centred around the player being 'the ipod alternative', i was a little disappointed that it wasn't something slightly more innovative shrug

the stencil ads are still a nice bit of design though smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Baah wink

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i don't have white earbuds since i got these babies for my birthday biggrin / frown

maybe i should paint them so i can be recognised as a member of the 'cult of white' again...

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
ubblol The idont web site had been blocked by Cambridge city councils firewall...

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
apple's customer service and ipods get more bad press frown

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,643 posts

Posted:
hehe, i just got my little cute little microphoto and am giving him lifeforce as we speak... biggrin

1,643 posts

Posted:
well... i managed to break it already frown now we shall see how good creative customer support really is...

the uploading software just wouldn't see the player, so i fiddled, like you do and reformatted the harddrive, which was stupid because now it's censored frown

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol Sorry shouldn't laugh hug

Let us know how it goes with creative, a real chance to see their responsiveness and customer service attitude.

I broke mine twice now, first I knackered the on/off button taking the whole unit to peices (yes I know how stupid that is, unfortunatly I learnt in retrospect) and then I dropped it on the head phone socket while they were plugged in and now the signal to the headphones can be a bit dodgy. But as it was well over a year old and second, no third hand, I never bothered going back to creative for repairs especially as I blatently caused the damage myself.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Does it boot in safe mode?

(serious question) biggrin

1,643 posts

Posted:
it's sort of stuck in recovery mode at the moment, it has an option to reboot from there but it won't work, i think i may have accidentally in the process of trying to restore it, erased the firmware, but because it's not recognised by my computer i couldn't reinstall it... catch 22 as it said on the forum that, that would help to solve my initial problem, but the initial problem meant the lack of it being solved. oh well, email's been sent, they don't answer the phones on the weekend, so hopefully i'll get a reply tomorrow...

doh! smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
https://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Non....I know it might be a silly question but did you push a pin into the reset hole yet?

1,643 posts

Posted:
umm i'm not aware of such a magic hole on this gadget, and i'm wondering whether you have been reading [Old link] and are taking the piss, or if you're being serious... biggrin If it's the latter... please would you be so kind as to advise where might one go about finding it?

*adopts crap geordie accent* The end of day 2 in the f***ed up creative microphoto saga, and still no reponse from the powers that be. However by a small miracle the website is now working, and a solution to the original problem has been found... however noone can be sure if it will be of much help at this terminal stage of CMP's illness....

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
try:

www.ishouldhaveboughtanipod.com wink

hope you get your player sorted anon non hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Linky no worky wink wink

1,643 posts

Posted:
link doesn't work for me either, but i get the idea and quite possibly it's true... thanks smile

or i could be hexxed and no mp3 player is ever going to work for me, we shall see... although i did get a reply from customer support today, unfortunately nothing they suggested actually worked and i still haven't found the tiny reset button, which may or may not be fictional. So clearly i have determined that it has been posessed by an evil technology demon and they will need to exorcise it at the creative LABS... or it just didn't want to be my friend frown

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Non there should be a small pin sized hole somewhere, probably down the side of the case. If you push a pin in it it resets the player. I have to use mine every time I turn it on since I broked the on/off button rolleyes ubbangel

There's probably an exact location shown in the handbook. Of course it might not have one, you have a different creative model to me but I should imagine it's a feature they keep in

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

I have to use mine every time I turn it on since I broked the on/off button

that's something we haven't touched on yet - mechanical reliability.

those who have had players for a good while (2 years +) let us know what state they are in.

i reckon that again, ipods have an edge over quite a few other players here - the distinct lack of mechanical controls does have the advantage of eliminating the problem of wear and tear through normal use.

at least against players that have more mechanical parts (see idont.com for a prime example)...

(i'm not doing the 'ipod or death' thing here - they are just the only player i have direct exerience of smile ).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Not quite 2 years, but I've had my 40gig creative zen extra player for about 22 months now - it's still going strong despite being dropped and knocked into things a few times.

The case is a little dented and scratched but that's about it - all the controls work fine and the battery life is still pretty damned good, it's barely dropped at all.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Just for reference mine wasn't mechanical failure from wear and tear. It was from me trying to take it apart when I shouldn't have and breaking the piece of plastic behind the switch that links to on/off button to the on/off switch inside the player. It's fixable if I send it to Creative but seeing as my labrett stud fits into the reset hole I never have a problem turning it on and autoshut of works pretty good too...thank god!

I think creative touch/ipod touch share a very similar amount of mechanical controls. Mine has 6 buttons not including the on/off although the touch pad can control all of them except menu

Page: ...