Page: ...
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will try my best not to make this rant about the evil corporation of Apple so lets not make it into one so here goes.

Basically my Ipod is fully screwed after only having it since July last year, I sent it back to Apple adn they decided that the problem with my ipod was caused by 'accidental damage, misuse/ abuse' and therefore it is not covered under their guarantee so they sent it back to me, still broken. I dont really knwo how this is possible, true I've had it for 6 months but its not like it's beend ropped, or at least not anymore than how things accidently drop, and certainly not sufficient to warrant it breaking about 7 months, however there isnt really anything i can do, they say I broke it, I say I didnt, in the end they were the ones who the 'thorough' diagnostic. My word against theirs so I dont really think I have any kind of case for argument, or do I?

But anyway secondly assuming I cannot get them to sort it which is looking the case I need a new MP3 player, do I trust Apple again, this is my second Ipod in the last 3 years, if I got a new one and it broke would they do the same again, I dont think I can trust a new Ipod. But that brings me to my next issue.

The third problem is I have about 2500 songs on my Ipod (and therefore music library on my computer) the majority of which are the format of either MPEG-4 or M4A, I think M4A and MPEG 4 are Apple's own format and so if I went with a different brand I'm assuming I couldnt add my old music library and therefore loosing the majority of my songs which I really really don't want. Or am I wrong?

So my question is does anyone know of ways to either convert the formats or any MP3players out there despite apple that support the format? So I dont have to go back to the evil guys and get another Ipod frown

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
all this talk of apples is getting me hungry.
:licks own elbow:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It seems of the entire Creative range I have the ONLY player who's battery isn't interchangable frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
A warning about Sony - with the phone, they'll probably get you to use SonicStage which is the worst program for music management. I've had some bad experiences with Sony devices, so I don't really like them (despite the fact that they do sound good, and they look really pretty)

For the most part, Sony products are quite fragile, and like I said, the software kills me. And my computer for that matter. Sony products always work best with other Sony products. If you get the phone, I hope everything works out for you!!

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Dunc, is this what you're after?

I know it's from the states, but it might be worth trying for the sake of keeping your "amazing" zen and not having to go down the filthy iPod route wink

hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's ok Bobo, the phones aren't really the same as sony mp3 players, the whole SonyEricson brand works quite differently and presuming the cool new phone works the same as my current SE phone it doesn't use sonic stage at all. It just acts as an additional drive when you plug it into your computer like any other mp3 player.

Sym, I'm very dubious about that battery actually fitting, especially if eBay is the only place that says the battery fits. I had the player apart when I fooked up the on/off button and the bettery didn't really look interchangeable then, and the whole jukebox range takes different batteries to mine aparently frown Arse, I was quite excited for a minute then!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
(this is Sym)

Yes, I agree, but seeing as it's £4 or something I thought it was worth the risk - you've taken it apart enough now to know what you're doing...or at least you've broken everything else so why not that? wink

hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
May I butt in and ask for a little help?

Have never been able to use the 'manually update' function on iPod, its never worked before, but for some reason last night it would. Ok i think, sweet.

So I clear all the songs out of 'Aimz's iPod', check iPod, songs gone. Thats all good.

Go to stick a play list in my fresh ipod and it tells m that there is no space! What? Thats only a teeny tiny playlist.

Upon closer inspection it says everything is still on there, the memory is 3/4 full, only the songs are invisable, and I have no idea how to clear my iPod without restoring to factory settings..

A little help? frown

P.S. Might I add that I hate the bloody thing with a passion, and it has given me nothing but trouble since I got it, and if my 'I-can-hold-30-songs' MP3 player hadnt well and truly died after 4 years of use I would still be using that.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
are you using a mac or a pc aimee?

and i'm guessing you're using itunes to do all of this...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
yep and yep

Its all sorted now..I think..
Went into my computer and deleted everything from 'AIMZ'S IPOD (:E)'

Play list went on without a trouble smile

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
im in exactly the same situation!
through itunes and mines says its full too!!!!!!!!

if only god damn media player could do it..........

*waits, ready to pinch solution from aimee*

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Just format it if you want to remove everything. Or reset it.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bow down

ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
hehehe thought i'd seen it all,, now i have wink

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
bwahahahaahahaaaaa ubblol ubblol

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Put 2 back to back and you can get Krappa too wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
So it turns out that the lovely W950i from Sony Ericson doesn't have a camera on it eek ubbcrying I can't believe it. Such a stompingly good phone and it has no camera, surely a strategic mistake by Sony Ericson in their battle against the (mini)ipod and other MP3 players etc.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its actually really clever i reckon.

this is directed at people exactly like you dunc - people that want a phone that they can use as their primary mp3 player too.

having a good mp3 player, a great phone AND an acceptable digital camera three-in-one device would make them pretty damn expensive (not to mention quite a bit bigger than this model is going to be).

besides, sony ericsson may anticipate that apple has an mp3 player/phone in their product pipeline and thus want to have a clear headstart on them...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Really you think so? I rekcon the sales would be far greater with cam, or perhaps a similar model with cam, than without. I was a cert to get it till I found that out so there's one sale gone...although I'm still mightely tempted ubbangel

I have a work nokia sans camera and a SE with camera, their size is almost identical. I doubt adding their already well thought out and manufactured 2mp camera would increase the size so dramatically.
And they already have so many three-in-one devices that are small, almost as small as the 950 too. And seeing as it's flash memory not hard disk like the nokia and samsung fitting a good mp3 player is only a software not a hardware problem, and they already have that one wrapped up as proven by their other phones like the 800i and 810i. I think the 810i will probably be my choice in the end, I can expand the sonycard up to 2gig which is plenty for day to day use.

I think the only strategic reason not to have a camera is retail price, because why keep up with possible (erm...almost definate) future ipod phones when you can blow them out of the water before it's even released? Unless the blowing will come once the ipod phone without camera is released and thus extend the market life of the SE branded phones.

But it does look so lovely ubblove if I didn't have Edan I'd be getting it for sure but missing all those cute pic oppourtunities I just can't imagine not having a cam in my pocket 24/7 now

Oh decisions decicions....... confused

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
yeah, but if sony take apples approach to product release aswell, they will sell one without a camera thats good enough for everyone to want one, and then 6 months later will come the camera version (which the owners of the first one will be gagging for).
by the sounds of it they will still stay a step ahead of apple.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Well at least creative will have some money to spend on R&D now after Apple settled the lawsuit for a 100 million dollars,, only mention as i remember we spoke about the suit in this thread a while back.

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
it certainly will!!

So is ipods settlement of $100m (a seriously huge ammount in anyones back pocket) an admittance that they did just copy someone elses idea, market it better and tweak it a little to lead the world portable player market?

Fair play to them, they did a good job but Mr Jobs must be a little gutted at the moment, buffering his competitions wallet when he was doing so well at beating them at their own game.

It's good to see that Creative will be making accessories for ipod after the settlement too, add-ons for apple at realistic prices, to coin a popular tv advert phrase "what a refreshing change" smile

I think this settlement will make the portable music market really fun in a year or two. Apple will be desperate to claw back the $100m they just lost and creative will be working with them as well as having a phat cash boost to their recent drop in sales. But lets hope it doesn't just end up being a two horse race!!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hmmm... 100,000,000 dollars? Just want to check the number of noughts, because when i first read that it didn't seem so much...

Probably if it wasn't for that settlement though it could be a whole lot of a worse situation for apple, probably involving an expensive new redesign of their playlist, testing, relaunching, maybe they'd even have to withdraw current models... in comparison to a lot of extra costs and catch up time, to get back in the game, $100million was probably very little. (n.b. i don't actually know if this would've happened, i think most patent disputes are settled in the same way...?)

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

1,643 posts

Posted:
oh yes, and i'd have the all singing all dancing mp3 player phone camera if there was one that was cheap, with super duper amounts of storage space, a great camera lens, good sound quality, and was able to make transatlantic phonecalls, but it'd probably be as big as my head which would make texting quite difficult.... so i'm going to let them play with it for a bit first, i'll save up for the time when all that technology is contained within a swiss army knife for extra functionality biggrin

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
maybe that would be good!
i mean when your absolutly blind drunk you could punch in numbers with your fists...........
.........no? oh ok......

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Or you might end up with some easy to use input format:)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
30gb ipod video!

Shite.. not even 6 months old.. battery dead after 1 hour watching a video.

Dead after playing soliare for an hour.

battery life when new.. shockingly on several hours... and to listen to the lyrics in songs when riding a Vespa.. you gotta crack up the volume.

Why does it take forever to convert wma to mp3.. when you have 5000 songs to do!... mind you took me longer to rip them from cd.

After formating my PC .. yet more strife.. the music library located on this ipod doesnt reflect that of the pc... so off with 5000 songs and back on again with the same ones!...

in all dont buy an ipod!. im my honest opinion.. hoever serving as a portable HDD.. gotta love that when using internet shops when you dont have net access at home like me... great to burn to ipod and take it home!.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
pk - other than the battery issue, it seems its not the ipod that you hate but rather itunes on a pc...

which is not suprising, cos it sucks smile

when i had a pc, i used this instead: anapod explorer

oh, and you either need to get yourself some good headphones or better, stop listening to a music player while riding a bloody scooter!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sketch

maybe that would be good!
i mean when your absolutly blind drunk you could punch in numbers with your fists...........
.........no? oh ok......

hmmmm.... i see what you're saying but in that case it should probably be better if it was in the shape of a small robotic dog that followed you around everywhere, that way you couldn't forget it or leave it behind anywhere when you're blind drunk biggrin

Now actually that would be kind of cool, an mp3 player you don't even have to carry....

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I think that i jinxed it.

basically i had a problem that my ipod just crashed my pc, no hardware or software changes made for months.. just started happening.

Changed RAM, not that, changed USB ports, not that.. reinstalled windows and it works, untill 2 days later (30mins after making my above post), it started all over again.

Next option, change the power unit, and if it aint that it might be the main board which i hope not cos i dont have any money to replace either. frown

itunes is ugly as hell, not entirly great to use either, but in MHO it should also convert video codecs as well as the built in audio converters.
I dont like paying €330 and than have to look around for software to convert video too.

Cole the headphones are ok that you get with the ipod, inconspicuous when scootering wink

Page: ...