Forums > Social Chat > i'm not a juggler, but this looked damn impressive to me

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
chris bliss....any of your jugglers out there heard of him before? i'm not a juggler whatsoever, so i could be stupidly impressed. but i dunno, this looked really cool to me.

https://marketplace.espeakers.com/movie.php?sid=5290&aid=10558

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
eek WOW. Thanks for that link.. Was pretty damn impressive.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
wow.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
It would be more impressive if he was singing along wink

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
look a little closer, there is a part he starts singing along tongue

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
::yawn::

7th vid down - "Bliss Diss"

https://www.jugglingdb.com/videos/index.php?performer=26&text=Jason+Garfield

EDITED_BY: ICoN (1142497815)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
eek eek both those vids are sooo good the BlissDiss video is just daft some of those moves are just .... ubbloco juggle

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
in the first onw, the wonderful thing is that he's not doing any *extremely* difficult, the timing is deliciously perfect. itsb a real gft to see a showy juggler thats not just technical

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
ha ha, hes so cool, he makes it look both messy and precise all in one, legend!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh mad

meditate

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Man, jason garfield really takes smackdown to the extreme! He's my new smackdown idol.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

alicewonderlandBRONZE Member
Born on a green light daddy-o!!!
126 posts

Posted:
...just watched jason garfield....niiiccceee:)
EDITED_BY: alicewonderland (1142535042)

When you're already walking on thin ice...why not dance?

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I'm in total agreement with Cole. Please don't mention Chris Bliss. The Juggling world seems to hate him.

If anybody didn't watch Jason Garfield's version, I seriously suggest you do.

Willy - is bad for your health...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
My sister emailed me that the other day, was meaning to post it up myself

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Wow, a juggler with style!

*ducks*

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
The Jason Garfield one's awesome! Got to love the old ass catch wink

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
why don't peeople like him?? he used the beatles so he must be cool wink

strong-bad pop up book,

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Jason Garfield has an amazing body.

Oh, he's a decent juggler, too. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Chris Bliss hmmmm maybe no thanks I'm alright for now wink

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Jason Garfield

https://www.jasongarfield.com/pennradio.html

The bliss Diss Explained
(Keep in mind, you came here upon your own free will and can very easily leave whenever you want.)

chris bliss's juggling skill is...not good. The most impressive thing he did was juggle for a long time and not drop. The juggling was not difficult at all and it's not surprising that he did not drop, so it's not that anyone should be amazed that he didn't drop. But if you're looking for the most impressive thing that he did in a routine chock full of unimpressive elements, it would be that he didn't drop. He calls it the big finally. I don't even understand why he juggles at all. His 3 ball skill is fair, good enough to make it three or four minutes without dropping. The world record for juggling 3 balls is over 11 hours, and the most difficult thing about that is staying awake and peeing.

What I think people are responding to in his routine is the choreography to the song, regardless of how many times he repeated the same simple loop of tricks. People can't tell the difference so he knows he can get away with that. If it goes to the music and he doesn't drop, that's a good routine if the people also like the song. He chose parts in the music where people would clap anyway if the song were performed live to start his full body convulsion tricks. He also makes the easy tricks look hard. Maybe they are hard for him, but he's not executing them with good form at all. I suppose his goal was to make it obvious that it was choreographed to the music which is why he jerked his body around along with the juggling to the beat. it almost looks like a parody of someone else's artistic interpretation of whatever. It's fine if people are entertained by this. But they should not assume he is a good juggler just because he kind of juggled to the music with three balls. A perfect example of how little people know about juggling is that one of his strongest audience response points was when he JUST juggled the BASIC pattern. Something I could get ANYONE with basic motor skills, not even great ones, to do in under an hour. BUT, he did it when the music got soft and went just to piano, so it went with the music. If you know the song, that's not -NOT hard to work out. So something in there is worth clapping for to the audience on this video. He didn't do any 360s, he didn't do any ass catches, he did the very FIRST thing you learn when learning how to juggle and he got applause you'd expect to hear for 5 club backcrosses. (Juggling 5 clubs all behind your back) Ideally I would like everyone to know as much about juggling as I do. They don't have to think the way that I do, but just know what I know and then choose what they like with the knowledge that I have and understand why they like what they're watching and know what it is that they're watching and not email me links of chris bliss and then ask me what I think because they should already know. If everyone in his audience had seen the ball juggling competition on ESPN, I believe the audience reaction would not have been so great. And I believe that if chris bliss knew that everyone in the audience had seen the juggling competition on ESPN, he might just leave the juggling out altogether.

Choreographing a 3 ball juggling routine to music is not difficult. You can play any song that I've never heard, and I could juggle three balls to it and make up the choreography as I went along and it would look similar to the chris bliss routine except there would be difficult tricks and I wouldn't look like Leslie Neilson. There's so much room to make adjustments to the timing with three balls that you can almost always adjust it to go with the music.

Choreographing a juggling routine with 5 balls usually consists of timing your 15-20 five ball moves to certain points in the music that start with the music change but the juggling rarely goes to the music on every beat because there's just too much going on. And when trying to choreograph a 5 ball routine to the same music and in a similar way that a 3 ball routine was choreographed, it's like playing a song on the piano only with three times as many notes but to the same tempo as the original version. Now I could easily make up my own 5 ball routine and choreograph it to this music the way a 5 ball routine made up of the tricks I can already do would be put together, but it would look completely different. So i've had to create and learn new tricks that I've never done before, incorporating multiplex patterns (throwing more than one ball out of one hand at a time), and creating loops of sequences that kind of go to the music, similar to the Leslie Neilson routine. The hardest part was figuring out how to create the new moves, and making them go to the music with five balls. Really, the hardest part was having to watch chris bliss over and over again to memorize how many times he repeated a sequence and at which points he started bouncing around like a dangling monkey. I didn't feel comfortable compromising my form to duplicate the spine breaking posture of his one sided backcrosses, and some sequences I just had to label as freaking out with no apparent difference in the juggling pattern, but lots of muppet seizure movement. The multiplex patterns were required in order to hit the beats to the music as frequently as chris bliss attempted. There was lots of clawing (Snatching the balls as you would to keep someone from taking them away from you before you get to them), slowing down and speeding up of the pattern to hit some of the drum fills, and again the freaking out parts which are the most entertaining parts of this routine for me to watch because it almost makes you think that the whole routine is already a parody. And if it is, then I apologize for letting that sneak past me. If chris bliss told me that this routine was a parody, I'd start capitalizing his name and enjoy watching the whole routine. But he labels this routine as the big finish, he's billed as a world class juggler, and there's no set up for it to be a parody. And I don't know why it had to last so long. If he did every trick without a repeat he would have been done in less than a minute. Perhaps it was the juggling version of a song, where tricks are repeated like the chorus. But I don't think he meant it as a parody, I wish he did, but I think this is supposed to be art. People seem to like it, but I think that's because they just don't have all the information that would enable them to make a more informed decision. If you watch the ice skating competitions in the Olympics, I don't think you're going to appreciate some douche bag skating in circles and tapping his toes, chipping out pieces of ice to the beat of a Beetles song. But maybe that would be good to the right song. I don't like his routine at all, except for when he bounces around a lot. But he doesn't need the juggling for that.

This Jason guy sounds like such a nice, well adjusted person. Seriously.. even if he might be a more skilful juggler he sounds like a prize tosser to me.

I bet he'd jump at the chance to diss Malcolm's two ball juggling routine too.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/archives/mpg/mpg/malcolmsballs.mpg
(Right click, 'Save Target As' 2.96mb)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Ok, just watched Jason Garfield's take on it. Was impressive, but his going on about how much Chris Bliss sucked lemons kinda spoiled it for me. Well, spoiled both videos for me now. mad2

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Ry

Ok, just watched Jason Garfield's take on it. Was impressive, but his going on about how much Chris Bliss sucked lemons kinda spoiled it for me. Well, spoiled both videos for me now. mad2

I agree. The video without the rant would have been much better. But, Garfield is known for his grumpy, arrogant attitude.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
but surely all that stuff is exactly why you should be impressed?

kind of like the spice girls....the couldn't sing, but they foold a f***k load of people!

plus it was very entertaining, which (being a non juggler) is all i really ask for. weather you do it by being amzing or just having cool choreography. biggrin

strong-bad pop up book,

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I'm going to throw in the words "Fast," "Really," "Weave," and "3-beat," and leave it at that...

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
hmmm, i know how annoying it is when people don't appreciate a really good trick, or think they're great cos they can do somehting rubbish really fast, but like i said, this isn't just someone at a poi gatherning, it's for entertainment.

if people are genuinely entertained by it, i don't see the problem, sorry! as far as i can see, he had a good idea and he sold it well. the audience certainly seemed to enjoy it. fair play to him.

strong-bad pop up book,

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

hmmm, i know how annoying it is when people don't appreciate a really good trick, or think they're great cos they can do somehting rubbish really fast, but like i said, this isn't just someone at a poi gatherning, it's for entertainment.

if people are genuinely entertained by it, i don't see the problem, sorry! as far as i can see, he had a good idea and he sold it well. the audience certainly seemed to enjoy it. fair play to him.

As far as I know, Chris Bliss has used that same juggling routine as a finale in his act for many, many years. Which is why it was fairly solid and dropless. He's made a living from that (and his comedy...). That's why many jugglers are annoyed, as he is making a living with mediocre juggling, where a lot of people are far more professional but rarely get gigs...

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
it is in no way mediocre juggling - it is the best juggling I have ever seen.

I don't give a damn if some guy gets up and juggles 9 balls - it looks crap. Sure, you know he's done nothing else with his life for years to get that far - but why bother if it's just going to look dull?

I think style is where its at - in the same way that someone can look damn fine doing a simple move and others can look crap.

I know we've all had the stype vs tech argument many times, and I think the only reason for this guy getting knocked down is because he's one of the very few style jugglers I've seen. Did you see how clean it was? I don't care how many times hes done it - it's amazing!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

But im sitting on the fence as I side with both sides...

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
I watched both vids and thought they were both good,....

Bliss - ok so he can juggle a bit this everyone can agree on, he bothered to work out a routine to some music that people liked to watch, therefore an entertaineer because is entertaining... well done to him and he gets my admiration....

so would anyone else doing something similar...

Bliss diss - vid , obviously ther is better juggling, and cool to watch, but it isn't his own routine, he has just copied, not as much entertainment... though vastly upping the juggling ability...

I don't see why jugglers are annoyed at him ... he has gone out there, made a skit, people like it, he gets cheers,

if others want the same, design a skit, go out there impress people and show off

They both entertained me, in different ways... stop all the negitivity... be pleased that juggling is being publisized to the masses

:P

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

true indeed smile

the reason everyone is getting fed up with him (and why garfield made the bliss diss video) is that this video has been doing the rounds on the internet for a good while now and there are a million better ones around.

garfield reacted like he did firstly because that is his clown character and as such, he projects the persona of a grumpy, arrogant dick (but with his tongue at least near his cheek) and secondly, because many, many people who do not have an idea of what good juggling can be reacted to the chris bliss video with comments like "OMFG!!! DIS BLISS GUY IS CRAZEE BULK DUDE!!! HE'S LIKE THE MOST L33T JUGGLER THERE IS!!!" which is patently not true ubbangel

the things i liked about bliss' style were the speed and the sync to music, but there were far more things i didn't like about it.

sym - your reaction is exactly what i'm on about.

if that is the most amazing and stylistic juggling you have ever seen, its due to underexposure to jugglers, not due to a lack of stylistic range within the juggling world.

wanna see what a good 3 ball juggler can do with no with nothing but improv? then watch this. juggle

or how about kris kremo from over 30 years ago?

and while i get to post juggling videos on the board in general, you might as well take a look at this performance... ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
wave

ubblol (on the floor) ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: