Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Had an interesting thought last night while playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. (weird, huh? )

Based on the board's popular definition of juggling as "object manipulation" (which poi and many other things would fit under), can skateboarding be considered a form of juggling??

I've been chewing it over and can't decide one way or the other. What are your thoughts?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
You gotta love Hawk 3!

I reckon it is by our definition, not too sure if it would be otherwise.

Salinger

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Heh. Check out some videos of Rodney Mullen... (There are some available on gnutella and on the web). He juggles the board on his feet, balancing on the nose of the board, standing on the wheels...

-Ben

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
skating definately incorporates alot of the feelings of juggling/poi etc but it has a definate different flavour and time scale domany of you lot skate?

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
skating definately incorporates alot of the feelings of juggling/poi etc but it has a definate different flavour and time scale domany of you lot skate?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Salinger:
You gotta love Hawk 3!
Yeah you do!

Whether on the PS2 or on the N64 it kicks ass!

Anyhow it does involve manipulation and can therefore be considered manipulation. Although I am unsure if you could lump it into Juggling. ?!?!?!?

Juggling has many forms and definitions I guess it all depends on the case. Clowns manipulate coat racks and hats but is that Juggling?

I think you could call skaters jugglers considering the ammount of infomation they have to process whilst doing tricks. Some are quite complicated! You gotta give people like Tony Hawk (amongst many others) credit for being able to manipulate their body and the board to such an extent that they can control the momentum, speed, height etc... that will ultimately determine how what they are doing comes out.

So would you then consider:

surfing
body boarding
snowboarding
skiing

and any form of manipulative sport juggling?!??!?!

drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont think it would be, personally I think that sk8ing and surfing and what not fit into their own catagory and they have deserved the right to be called their own sport.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
snowboarding, surfing etc I'd say definately don't really relate to juggling, they're much more about traveling and speed and the poetry of carving and all that. Skateboarding comes in the middle because you can flip it and you can achieve differneet flavours through different tricks and it becomes expressive in this way. Its all just stuf anyway Poi is more like a martial art to my mind and my devilstick is definately begining to feel more like that. What about tiddleywinks?!

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
the random act of moving about to make a pattern purely for the poetry, adrenalin, love of it all is all the same thing but wether you have to give it all the same is probably up to the way you talk?

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
martial art? on the defensive?

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
yeah i imagine my handsticks are magic daggers and each end of the devil stick are like evil gremlins trying to get me and i must fight to keep them out of my head.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Only rodney mullens extreme street skateing I would classify as juggling.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
I agree, Astar. You folks should download some of Rodney Mullen's videos and you will see that he is probably the only true "juggler" of a skateboard. Skating freestyle (or flatland) he does a whole slew of tricks without even pushing the board anywhere. He truly does juggle it with his feet.
Primo (balancing on the board so it is perpendicular to the ground, on it's side wheels)
Casper (balancing on the board while it is upside down with one end on the ground and the other in the air)
Truckstand (similar to casper but standing on the trucks, or wheel attachments, and spinning)
Hell, Rodney Mullen can even bounce on his board like a pogo stick or twirl around like a figure skater. You really can't appreciate it unless you download a video and watch him go nuts...he does freaking handstands while skating! And does kick flips with his hands! Ah well, I'm done.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~