Forums > Social Chat > Looking for help and advice - in need of a new job

Login/Join to Participate

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Miss Aimz has quite a big problem that needs solving as soon as possible.

For the past 4 years I've worked in care home in St.Leonards. Privately run, very well to do, always have the top button done up on the overals, hair always has to be pristine (they loved me when I had wool instead of hair)

Anyway. Every saturday, 8-2, since I was 13. As only a saturday girl I'm genereally treated like poo, I'm looked down on by some staff as I'm 'different', no wool anymore but more piercings than your average, and "Christ you've got a tattoo now? But your underage! What on earth does your mother think?!"

"My mother paid for it"

Up until February I was on £3.70 an hour. As I'm under 18 I'm not entitled to minimum wage, and I've never been given a contract, so complainst went un-heard. I got a pay rise to £5.40 an hour when mother (deputy manager of company who trains care assistants to get NVQ's in health a social care with several candidates at the home ,and ex-general manager of home) kicked up a fuss to the current manager. Whoop - payrise.

My last apraisle was when I was 14, near enough three years ago.

When I had to pull out of the christmas staff do as college was really heavy, they docked out 20 quid of my pay check.

As my mum used to work there when I was a kid, I've grown up in that place, the ex-owners are my sisters god-parents. I remember going in to sing for the residants with my sister at christmas time.

I love my job, but I have really no choice. It's changed so much - managmant takeover (we're no longer Wosit House, we're Wosit House - Run by Wosit Health Care Limited and the placemant of the 8-2, 2-8 shifts which are totally unflexible.

I'm only a saturday girl. Referred to as 'the washer upper'. I cook, I clean, I care, I pull people out of the sh!t when they're in it. I do everything. I do everything I'm supposed to and more!!

Last saturday the manager told me I couldn't have all the holiday I wanted. I can only have 4 days a year. Which is silly. She told me 'You have to make sacrifices sometimes'. I'm sorry, but I am not missing PLAY, Falmouth, Clapham and my mums wedding for a 6 hours shift where my input is totally unrespected.

Thing is. I'm crap at everything else. I'm not entitled to EMA (some of my friends get more in a month off of that that I earn). I hate telephones. The prospect of beeping things at checkout all day makes me quiver at the knees..

In two weeks I'm handing in my notice, new job or not.

Rant over...congratulations if you've read through all that..

I need some advice! What can I do? I'm incredibly shy in new situations, my stammer comes back and I blush, making me seem like some kind of idiot..

I like the outdoors, anything naturey, or with animals. I hate telephones, computers, or anything electrical that I would probably break..

Any help given I would be most grateful for hug

EDITED_BY: Aimée (1142449245)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
after-school or weekend stuff with kids? Since you've got experience in a care home, you should be kinda qualified for that! And if they get annoying you can always impress them with some spinning!! (And if it's after school during the week you can go to festivals a lot)

Cleaning?

There's also lots of old or disabled people looking for some help in the house, or entertainment... not sure if you could do that since you're under 18, but your experience must count there!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Kids are good. I like kids..
Old people are like kids, only wrinklier.

A house help sounds good. Although I'm not sure about the legalities... I'll ask mum..mums clever with old people the legal stuff.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Aimz, try agencies. I used to do alot of agency work and that involved helping out with the wrinlies in hospitals, feeding them and washing up and stuff. I also got to chat to them alot which was great. smile
Not many people like working with the oldies (i dont know why, they're great!)
Have a look about, see what you can see. There's lots of work for kiddiewinkles and oldwrinkles hug
In the meantime, you tell the new management to bug*er off! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Is there hospitals nearby, with the help you have given you might be able to get like a candy striper job....helping out in the wards, spending time with less fortunate patients that maybe don't get as many visitors.

The cleaning and serving food thing comes into play as well.

That would also mean you would work with all types of age groups.

emma01Member
3 posts

Posted:
I am not sure if this will help. But when I was 13, I managed to get a little saturday job helping out in a vets. Just wipping down tables etc, cleaning out cages. Money was not too good - but I loved it. Or perhaps you could try looking at getting a Saturday job in a cattery or kenels, looking after the animals??

Keep smiling - everything will work out! ubblol

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Local fast food place....gives you retail experience with virtually unbreakable machiny things. maybe work out the back not on the counter.

Dog walking service ...you get to be outside with dogs and its got to pay better than what you on...maybe

Cafe..ask each time you go into one.

Ask at the tattoo place of they need a cleaner

Ask mum and dads mates if they know a job going.

As a parent what I would love is someone to come in at school pick up time for two hours and help then. Agony hour with babies. Bit of cleaning, bit of cooking, lots of amusing of childers. Maybe even pick the kids up from school.

I know a few families here begging for that sort of help. Know anyone close to home needing that.

As a possible future thing its really hard to get Phlebotomists, people to bleed others. Its good work for odd times and some places here train their own ppl. You may have to be 18 for that.

After school care places may need helpers.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Got a local zoo near you. Sounds like it could be perfect.

Gayle.....!

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Wow.. I thought I'd seen bad conditions but that takes the cake.. Get the hell outta there...

When I was a teenager I did all sorts of stuff.. Saturday mornings working as a receptionist for a podiatrist was fun, you got to talk to lots of people, and muck around with the autoclave..

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Aimée set up your own befriend a granny business. That way you can set your own hours and provide a service to the elderly. You could offer to help them go shopping, or offer a prescription collection service. Lots of older people that are in residential homes are able to get out and a bout with the help of someone. Offer the local homes a service where you take out their 'inmates' for a few hours a week.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I'd like to befriend a granny smile

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I miss my Gran, I should hang round with old people more often..

Old people rock.. they have so much to offer, and they are often ignored..

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Skuly, great idea!
I was going to suggest a more general version: think of the things you enjoy and excel at, and then form one or more of them into a service based business. That way you offer the best of yourself, get to control hours, and to an extent pay, and if it is a truely clever idea, eventually make millions!

ggod luck!
PS

people make excellent money just dog- walking here, or animal sitting in general...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Aimee, from what ive seen you are a confident, clever, out going person, all that holds you back is yourself,, think you are shy and you will be, think you cant do something and you cant.

its all about positive thinking, you can do anything you want, you can find a new job and you will do well in it because you can do anything you set your mind to..

If you never test yourself, you never learn

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I need a job, just for a couple of months... hm, Aimée, have you considered becoming a fluffer? biggrin

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
who to? you? :P

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

WeaponXmember
66 posts

Posted:
if i wasnt a cat, i would have laughed very hard at asenas recommendation.

mieow..

Mieow..

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I read through your post can I have a prize wave

Aimee I hope your sticking with your paln to hand in your notice

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aimee, you already know what I think wink

hug

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I do know a little about getting jobs working with animals- I don't mean to be discouraging, but the number of applicants we get at the zoo I work in from (no offence) especially teenage girls, who would 'like to work with animals' is quite impressive.

If you are serious about it, I would suggest trying and getting some volunteering time in- very few places will take (especially young) people on a paid position without them having some experience.

We get people on animal management placements who are terrified of everything, can't clean an inclosure, are rubbish at talking to customers and allsorts. .. I don't mean to suggest that that would apply to you, some teachers seem to have the attitude that 'useless with people= good with animals, which obviously is not the case with you. It just means there is a lot of competition for what are frequently messy, badly paid jobs, and you really do need to make yourself stand out when you apply.

Good luck in whatever you do go for, I know it's a pain, I'm looking for a job right now too (the zoo I'm at can only offer one day a week right now)

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I got 2 letters today from top manegmant. I read them in the toilet.
They're only giving me one day holiday, and as I've already gone over, they're taking a day off of next years holiday too.
Shame I wont be there next year for them to take that into effect...

Also this morning at 11 o'clock I clicked that Marjorie hadn't had breakfast tray laid out for her.
I asked a colleuge. "Buggar sorry I forgot to tell you she'd died".
Nice one! And thats not the first time thats heppend either.

This made me very sad and I went and cried in the toilet for a little bit. I'm not one to cry very easily, and I figured when you're crying because of work, its not worth working anymore.

I'm going to get my mum to help me write a letter of resignation, and I'll hand it in next week. Enough is enough.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimée

Also this morning at 11 o'clock I clicked that Marjorie hadn't had breakfast tray laid out for her. I asked a colleuge. "Buggar sorry I forgot to tell you she'd died".

eek *mumbles something about people being heartless*

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
hug Aimée, time to move on hun. Good luck for the future. You have lots of talents you can use to get you employed!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Yesterday my mum came home from Leeford PLace, the hotel where she's getting married, and said they had waitress positions going...
So I picked up the telemaphone and rang them and spoke to them all by myself biggrin
They askled me to pop in today...so I did...
They want me to start sunday at 8 o'clock, and for a further 3 weeks so 'see how I go'
I can't quit my old job so I'm at college 4 days a week, and working sat and sun too...

And I've jsut realised something very pooey. Clapham. It would be fine if I jsut had my regular job...I leave straight after work normally...and it seems a bit cheeky asking to have time off after only working there 2 weeks frown

The manager pissed me off a bit too, I told him I've worked in a care home for the past 3 years and he scoffed at me and said "Well this deffinatly isnt a rest homr", making it sound as if he thought my job was bloody easy! The cheek!

If this goes well, then i'll be pleased, but I'll miss the residants dearly frown

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
When you go in, just let them know that you've got an event planned, and that it's been in the pipeline for a while.

If they're not heartless, they should let you have some time off.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Aw aimz, at least you can go and visit the people at the care home occasioanlly when you have a few hours free during the week, it would be lovley to visit them im sure after leaving.

Oh wait no redface lol, I suggested you look into a modern apprenticeship in care because your three(?) years of experiance would make you quite desierable to a company taking on an apprentice but they take a year to complete and your in college arnt you ,yes you are I totally forgot, you wouldnt have time to do both, oh well.

Try your best with this waitressing job aimee, its really intimidating trying to get a job god I know im so useless ive made so many mistakes now im feeling the results from them. If they keep you on stick with it even if you dont like it much its something that will give you the confidence to look for work and will pay your way while your in college, but im sure your thinking that allready. But hey you never know Jeniffer Aniston was discovoured waitressing lol, your time might just come. Remember to do your hair nicely everyday and practice that smile wink
EDITED_BY: Brit_Joe (1146001973)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm ringing in tomorrow to tell I'm not taking the job...
I've been doing alot of thinking..

At first I thought I didn;t want it because I was scared my my first day at work...
But now...its too far away - I'll have to rely on my mum to get me to and from, and I don't want to drive just yet.

Now that its hit me in the face 'you hvae a new job you can leave'...i dont want to leave shrug

I feel a little disspointed that I've got the chance to move on...but it was a big achievmant for me to ring them by myself and go for an interview, and I know that should the time come I want a new job again I be able to ask for an interview/application form/whatever relitivly hassle free.

I'm going to ask for an appraisle, where I'm going to talk about all the things that bother. Praps talk about my pay going up a little bit more, and my mums going to sign me up for an NVQ, which I'm going to start when college isn't too busy.

And I seem to have sorted out my holiday aswell...next to all the dates I've ask for off theres a little note 'please arranged to swap shifts with someone'. Which wont be too hard...and leaves me with more holiday too.

I had a lovely day at work this saturday as well..which makes a change..
It was really sunny, so I took Irene and Dora for a walk around St.Leonards.
Which meant me totering around the streets in this
Non-Https Image Link
ubblol
But I had 2 very special friends on my arm smile

And Irene told me my scabby chavvy hair looked beautiful biggrin

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Hell.. I'd wander round the streets in that.. Its the best! Like being at school again but not..

OK, that was lame...