Forums > Social Discussion > Legally downloading software

Login/Join to Participate

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Here's something that has been bugging me for a while...

I bought Rise Of Nations a few months ago but have lost the disc. I also recently completely rebuilt my hard disc and as I don't have the disc can't re-install it. I thought I had a backup copy but it turns out I don't. Now here's my question: Is it legal, or ethical, for me to go onto, say, Bittorrent and download a copy to allow me to play a game which I have already bought?

Personally I think its ok as I've already paid for the game and don't see why I should have to fork out to get another disc but some of my friends thing otherwise. I was wondering what you all think seeing as the MPAA are trying to shut torrent sites down.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
It is my opinion that it is ethical. You did not pay for the disc itself, you paid for the right to use the program. The disc was merely a way of transfering the program. You could have ethically bought RON, stuck the disc on your shelf, and installed RON from bit-torrent, and you would have not stolen anything from the company.

Legally speaking, I don't have a clue since I don't know the laws where you live. Why don't you write or call the company that makes RON, let them know what you are planning to do, and ask them whether they would mind.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Personally I wouldn't see a problem with it.. However, just to play devils advocate wink

You bought and paid for *your* copy of the program, to be installed and used on *your* system. Now if you still have your key, then chances are noone would be able to tell the difference. However if you're using someone elses key, or are using a cracked version then things are changing a bit. If you bought yourself a fancy hat and in turn lost it, would it be right to help yourself to another hat and consider it the same, even if it were identical?

That isn't the ideal argument, since as Patriarch already said you're really paying for the software, not the hardware to get it to you. And I do know of many instances where gaming companies will gladly replace (usually for free, or a fraction of the price) a damaged game disc, this however is usually accompanied by a replacement key as well though, and since you can't really prove that you 'lost' it as opposed to sold it or gave it away, you're probably not going to have much luck getting a cheap simple replacement.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Not legal, marginallly ethical.

I say go for it. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
lol.

Here's my two cents on the legality side of it. You pay for a licence to use the software and not the software its self. Most licences are single user so legally you should only install it on one computer (Apple do family licences for its OS which simply consists of one set of CDs but five licences) so once you have a licence surely it won't matter how you got the program in the first place.

Its a bit like the law that you're allowed to make one backup copy of a music CD but if you download the CD before buying it does that make the downloaded copy legal once you own the CD? There are loads of grey areas that they need to clear up.

The mac version of RON doesn't have a CD key with it but you need the disc to play it but it is possible to crack it with a little knowhow so I didn't actually need the CD. I've done this for all of my games and stuff like Logic Pro (that looks for a USB key) and I don't see how they can complain if I simple tell the software to ignore the command that looks for the CD. As I'm a computing science student I think its completely wrong to pirate software but then if a company like Apple gives out the source code for its latest OS to members of the ADC a few days before its released and I compile it and install it then surely thats covered by my ADC membership... but thats off topic.

I have just gone onto a torrent site and started downloading it. I'll remember to make a backup this time. wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'll go with one of my old profs: "If you ask whether it's okay to do something or not, you usually know it's not and just want me to tell you you can, even though you know you shouldn't." tongue ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
so does that work the other way? It's ok to download music cos I didn't ask? biggrin wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
But you just asked. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
see? It works.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I didn't actually ask, I asked a related but different question.

Plus: I stole nemo from disney already. Long live the internet! I asked the p2p client if it could download nemo for me, and it said YES! so it did. Brill.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.