Page:
LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Okay, here's the deal.

I know there are other threads about hop chats, but they're pretty much all people asking about it and nothing about people telling it, so I'm hoping to pump it up a little bit and get a few more people in there. Right now there are only about 3-4 people who sit in there, mostly idle through the day, and we have very little in terms of new faces to talk to. Right now there are over 120 people looking at the HoP forums, if we could just get a small chunk of those people into chat it would become a much livelier place. Plus it is a great way to actually talk with someone outside of static messages on a forum.

There are really a couple ways to get to the hop chat. There are also actually a couple different rooms right now created specifically for HoP and spinning but I'll get into that later. If you're just looking to chat every once in awhile the web relay that is up through this site is great (many thanks to flid). It's not always up though, and can be a fickle creature at times and is limited to the one room. However, if you want to check it out and the relay is not up, there is a solution!

GET mIRC! (or any IRC client for that matter)

https://www.mirc.com/get.html

Now if you have no idea what IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is, think multiplayer notepad wink It is a very 'simple' chat program, that has been around for a long time, and has an incredibly massive community with literally hundreds of servers, and thousands of different chatrooms with literally hundreds of thousands of users.

While the program itself is relatively simple, it can be confusing for non-computer savy individuals, so I thought I would give a bit of a tutorial on how to get yourself into chat.

Once you have mIRC installed, when you open it the IRC Options window should automatically pop up, where you need to fill out certain details like your nickname, and alternate nick (incase the one you pick is already taken)

Non-Https Image Link

At that point, on the left hand side you'll want to click where it says 'Servers' to take you to the server menu. In the IRC Server dropdown menu, you'll want to find the listing 'Newnet: Random Server' There are other ways to get there that are more stable, but this is the easiest. Once that is done, click the 'Connect To Server' button.

Non-Https Image Link

At that point it will open up a server window while it connects to the server. Give it a few seconds, to let it establish. Eventually it will spew out a long string of text, since you're connecting to a random server in the 'Newnet' network, the intro text might not always be the same, but you'll know what it is when it happens. Once that is finished you're connected to the server, but still not in the chat room. At this point you'll have to tell the server your first command which I've high-lighted in an ever so stylish orange color. That command is very simple.

/join #homeofpoi

Non-Https Image Link

That in turn will open up another window, which is the actual chat room. From there anyone active should be able to talk to you and help you out with any other issues you have with IRC. I can help address anything in here if you guys have questions, but I didn't want to dominate this thread with the tutorial.

I just know that the HoP chat used to be much more active, and it was a wonderful resource for me when I was first learning to spin a few years ago and I feel bad to see it wither as it has. I would love to see it return to its former glory, and with the growth of HOP I'm sure we could easily surpass that. I'm hoping it is mostly due to people simply not knowing about it rather than not wanting to or being able to.

I hope to see more people popping in

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
It confuses me.... lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Good work - I think the IRC needs more people in it - It's never had anyone there when I've been in before.

Just a note - mIRC wont work if you're behind a firewall that blocks port 6665-6669 (I think). In other words, if you're at work and you have a firewall.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I'm there, and you know it!

...because we're talking right now...

...on IRC...

Whoa....

biggrin

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Could some kind mod sticky this please? I reckon its really quite useful smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin biggrinThanks Lurch!!!!! I've been confused by irc and honestly alittle afraid of it redface
but that tutorial explained it so well I'm going to give it a try!!!!!
Thanks again!!!! hug biggrin

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Without sounding like a complete bongle mong, but cant I just use the chat thing provided... or did you explain that in all the intimidating text up there? ^ smile

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
The chat thing provided isn't always up and working Asena, and it is a web based relay for the chatroom in IRC. I hope all that writing wasn't too intimidating, tried to make it as nice as possible with all the pretty pictures and everything shrug

IRC is a little confusing to set up, but once its done it's easy. If anyone has questions/problems about it feel free to PM me about it and I'll do everything I can.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
but i wanna choose more than one option! i'm trying this fandagled craziness but i still do like webrelay :P i even have my own purrty color for my name biggrin (thanks flid!)

but fankees lurchie for the directions. definately helps oodles.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*playfully pushes pounce into jello and starts wrestling wink

lurchhhhhhhhhhhhh join us! biggrin

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
i was just there and it's empty..

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
i just got on.. still empty. maybe I just scare everyone away???

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Again, like I said, the web relay doesn't always work... Like right now, flid's relay bot is down which means there is no connection to the IRC server. Which means no chatting unless you're on IRC..

Sad but true frown

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ooh yes it's not so scary as one would think. i tried irc and it's actually going quite well. although i do miss my preeeety colors. that and everyone is picking on me for my blue text frown

*wrestles kael*

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
i went on last night n there were a fue people on but today i was all lonely its not hard to work n i will be poping in agen

life is what you make it and what you want it to be

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
*dances about in chat*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
hmm, the mIRC I have is set up for scoutlink, and I can't connect to any other servers... here we are, my other mIRC, in which I CAN use the HoP chat.

w00t! there's people!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Well... that upped popularity for about a week, now it's dead again and has been for a few days..

As great as the web relay is, it's useless when it's down, and it's down quite a bit. I wish more people would get IRC, we have a massive community on the boards here and I know of many much smaller ones with a far heavier presence in IRC.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
It is #homeofpoi or #hopchat?

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Both, #hopchat is one that elanna started since #homeofpoi dwindled to nothing.. Thanks for pointing that out though I should tweak my sig

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Shouldn't you stick to one? It's only goin gto confuse people if there are two... I'm now going in to #homeofpoi every time i open up gaim, but thats not all that often!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
True true, I just took the other one out of my sig.. I'd say that would hopefully draw more people in but they don't come to either tongue

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
umm, I know I found this out the other day, but how do I have 2 networks open at once?

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
In the first picture at the top of this thread. The option window where you are picking your network you need to have the 'new server window' box checked

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
maybe I wasn't clear.

I was mIRC for a scout chat, called Scoutlink, which has it's own network. How do I connect to both Scoutlink and newnet at the same time?

It is possible, I did it the other day, but can't remember what to type in

here we go, need to type in /server -m new.server.name replacing new.server.name with whatever server I want to use
EDITED_BY: Hanz (1143033744)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
*bump*
Chatroom is still open.... hug hug hug

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

RicheeIImember
37 posts

Posted:
Message from there: Go recruit people!

Who's the sysop?

(Ellana),

:R

BINARY DIVISION

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
got IRC, will chat

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
So does anyone use this? no one is ever there when I peek in

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
So when do you all plan on getting on mIRC???? Hmmmmmm

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

PavlovsDogmember
43 posts

Posted:
irc.newnet.net
#homeofpoi

...is still open. Am I the only person, bar 14 year olds and crazy people, that even has an IRC client open anymore?

No philosophical signatures for me. I hate those things. But I do like biscuits.

Page: