Page:
Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_tv/people_isaac_hayes

Written by:

NEW YORK -
Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.
ADVERTISEMENT

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

I don't know whether many people on here watch South Park, but I consider this to be big news. I think this story will be more important to the American Youth than the resignation of some political charactor such as the Vice President. At least they still have Cartman smile.

I was going to put this in chat or on the "in the News" thread, but it seemed to embody issues that could spark discussion. When I read it, I was reminded of the discussion that we had regarding the cartoons about Islam.

I have not seen the Scientology episode, but I have seen several of the shows that were about Christianity or Judaism. One would be hard pressed to find a more offensive treatment of those religions on TV, except perhaps from a few stand up comedians. I tend to agree with the co-creators that the resignation may have had more to do with it being Scientology that was mocked, rather than religion in general.

I wonder how they will handle this. Maybe they will dispose of the old Chef in some funny way, and have a new replacement Chef. I don't think any replacement could pull off playing Chef. Isaac Hayes' voice seems to me to be irreplaceable.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
HERE is the offending episode, about halfway down. Apparently it was stopped in the UK.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Interesting!

I think South Park has been offensive to pretty much every interest group out there; certainly Parker and Stone are right that there's been lots of religion-bashing in what, the last nine or so series so far?! I'd have to say that they're right about Hayes, and unsurprisingly for them they're not afraid to say it.

Cheers for the link Domino!
EDITED_BY: spiralx (1142292605)

"Moo," said the happy cow.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Interesting how many people, expecially some (but not all) in civil rights groups, struggle to assess their own beliefs against others.

There's a number of parallels right through the media at the moment, but I agree this is likely to bring the debate to a whole new generation of teens...

Yay for debate and discussion!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Its sad that Isaac feels he needs to leave, the show just wont be the same without Chefs songs, but he should've known that sooner or later Trey Parker and Matt Stone would've gotten around to scientology. They have always been no-holds-barred with any topic and have even said that it would be wrong if they made fun of some things and left others alone. Trey and Matt have put all other religions through the ringer and its about time that they did it to scientology. I think its really sad that Isaac Hayes could be a part of bashing everyone elses beliefs but not his own. After all if you cant laugh at yourself then you shouldnt laugh at everyone else, or dont dish it out if you cant take it!!!!!!!!

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there are so many ancillary characters in this 8th season of south park that characters like chef appear less and less. they have killed mrs chokeson#### off, and so i won't be surprised if they have another episode ripping on isasc hayes' charater / association with that cult.

hooray for Ron L Hubbard!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
As always, I never find anything that expresses a view offensive in itself.

I don't find South Park offensive because it's just words. If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you think it's funny (like I do, sometimes) then feel free to catch all 9 seasons on DVD (or whatever number they're on now).

I don't see why people get so worked up. shrug

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I thought the Scientology episode was very funny but nowhere near as offensive as most of the Christian/Jewish based episodes.

My thoughts on South Park are the same thoughts I have about the comedians Carlos Mencia and George Carlin...they are not bigotted because they target everyone. And Trey Stone has even used in defense of groups saying that they have only targetted "certain" affiliations that it isn't that they have targetted anything, they simply haven't gotten around to everyone they want to target yet. It's a big world with alot going on. It's alot to keep up with. lol

Too bad though, it makes me lose alot of respect for Isaac Hayes.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
That episode was sooooooooo funny hehe

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

byebye Chef... I didn't think South Park employed such hypocrits... or that such hypocrits would want to work for them... shrug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
*sigh*

Grow Up! There's nothing wrong with offensive cartoons, as long as they based in truth....if somethings saying, for example, all Jews kill and eat Xtian babies and means it, thats bad. But South Park isn't designed to be taken seriously.

Lighten up and have some choclate.....

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Everyone knows South Park isnt exactly an unoffensive show, through all their stuff from Team America to South Park Trey Parker and Matt Stone have made jokes from religion to hair colour, the other day I saw the ginger epeisode, which didnt insult me, it made me laugh.

It's what you expect from their shows, if you dont like that stuff dont watch it. Isaac Hayes knew what the show he worked for was like and I think its a shame just because it pokes a bit of fun at his religion he has to get a bit iffy about it.

But i think maybe he should have thought about the whole picture, by the end of a south park episode there is normally an act of redemption (in the ginger episode it ended with cartman realising that gingers werent an evil race of the planet). Chef is normally the initiator of this act of redemption, he normally acts as a peacemaker, philosopher and mediator, maybe Isaac hayes shoudl have asked to have been written into the episode to do his usual 'goodwill' chef stuff, who knows.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PyroWill

maybe Isaac hayes shoudl have asked to have been written into the episode to do his usual 'goodwill' chef stuff, who knows.

Goodwill? To scientologists?

It's a scam and a brainwashing cult. There can never be any good will or redemption.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
I actually thought this episode ended with a challenge "Come on! Sue me then!"

Interesting, if you look at the credits all the names are either John Smith or Jane Smith

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

*sigh*

Grow Up! There's nothing wrong with offensive cartoons, as long as they based in truth....if somethings saying, for example, all Jews kill and eat Xtian babies and means it, thats bad. But South Park isn't designed to be taken seriously.

Lighten up and have some choclate.....

Some chocolate salted balls!

I dont understand why has chef left after nine offensive sieries, the've had eppisodes on aids, aborted featosus, hate crimes, the speacial olympics, and allthe way through they make fun of christianity, jews, god, ethnic minorities, and NOW he decides to leave. I reackon he had an argument and just didnt think he was getting paid enough ubblol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LahuKalennewbie
20 posts

Posted:
All I can say is, if you're gonna get upset over a show being offensive to religion, don't discriminate. You can't sit there and watch everyone else's religion be made fun and laugh - yet when they make fun of yours go "OMGWTFBBQ U CAN'T DO THAT!1!"

Silly Mr Hayes.

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Quote from the BBC article on this:

"Stone said: "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of South Park, Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews.

"He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show." "

ubblol

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4804334.stm

and:

"A spokesman for the show's makers Comedy Central said producers had not decided if Chef would be dropped from the show."

everyone's unique except me

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Nephtys

"A spokesman for the show's makers Comedy Central said producers had not decided if Chef would be dropped from the show."

eek How could they keep him???? confused confused confusedIsaac has a pretty distinct singing and speaking voice confused I dont see how they could unless Chef gets into an accident that changes his voice or something shrug

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
The show is a great education in scientology smile I totally appreciated their no holds barred analysis of this "religion"

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I loved how they actually had a banner across it that said 'THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT SCIENTOLOGISTS BELIEVE'

Then again is it any worse than people wanting to declare 'Jedi' as a religion? I believe that any religion should be respected on its own merits. If people wanna pay money for that and feels it betters their lives, let them... I don't think Scientology would get as much stick if it weren't for the megolmaniacal likes of Tom 'You called me gay so I'll sue you' Cruise and aforementioned hypocritical rhetoric of the Mr Hayes.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
when i saw the episode on TV and saw the part with the "this is actually what scientologists believe" part i was a tad sceptical. i've done a few hours of research on the group and couldn't find anything that told that story in so much detail. i'd like to know how much of what stone and parker showed was actually true and if they dramatised it at all.

personally i do think scientology is a money grubbing cult, and is comparable to jedi in its silliness. i mean, what kind of idiot would take the writings of a science fiction creator as literal truth? (duh)

p.s oh bender, its L. Ron Hubbard not Ron L Hubbard wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

personally i do think scientology is a money grubbing cult, and is comparable to jedi in its silliness.

umm

Jedi are silly? Excuse me? Jedi philosophy makes a hell of a lot more sense than some of the real religions out there today. Including Scientology. You don't have to be Force sensitive to follow their morality. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

1,189 posts

Posted:
More scientologists than Jews in Britain today according to the last census.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon Shaolin

I loved how they actually had a banner across it that said 'THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT SCIENTOLOGISTS BELIEVE'

Then again is it any worse than people wanting to declare 'Jedi' as a religion? I believe that any religion should be respected on its own merits. If people wanna pay money for that and feels it betters their lives, let them... I don't think Scientology would get as much stick if it weren't for the megolmaniacal likes of Tom 'You called me gay so I'll sue you' Cruise and aforementioned hypocritical rhetoric of the Mr Hayes.

hmm, i think people declared jedi as a religion as a joke on the census didn't they? i don't think it's quite the same. but as someone said (can't remember who) jedi philosophy actually makes a lot of sense!

i agree with you that people should be allowed to believe whatever they like in peace, but like it says at the end of the 'mormons' south park....

'If you're gonna say things that have been proven wrong, like that the first man and woman lived in Missouri, and that Native Americans came from Jerusalem, then you'd better have something to back it up. All you've got are a bunch of stories about some asswipe who read plates nobody ever saw out of a hat, and then couldn't do it again when the translatios were hidden!'

hmmm.....scientology has a lot to answer for methinks! i'm not asking all religions for proof (it's a matter of faith & all that), but if you're going to take a load of people's money and convince them that you're telling the truth & they should do as you tell them...especially ouside of where religion is a widespread cultural/social prop, you'd better have something better to back it up with imo.

and if you get angry about people trying to explain why you're wrong, then you can try to counter argue if you 'know' you're right. and if you can't, or like isaac hayes, you just walk out, maybe that's because you don't have anything to argue with.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
This reminds me of when Columbine was first in the news and everyone was shocked & outraged. And people from poor, urban shools said "Hellooooo, guns in school = bad. Thanks for noticing when it's about you."

How could he not know this show was offensive to so many special interests and not feel like he was corssing lines? For years he willingly participated in all manner of controversial topics and hot issues, almost always in a brutally candid delivery. What it lacked in animation, Southpark made up for in the free exchange of ideas, most often from a third point of view. The best example is the 2004 election episode, where both 'sides' were equally represented and we saw their lunacy from an outsider's viewpoint.

Chef should just suck it up and not take it so personally. Southpark has always been about exploring our personal growth (in it's own, twisted way), and growth is painful.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Oh man and it just doesnt end!!!!!! Some people are just to uptight

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. I would speculate that it might have something to do with the fact that scientologists have money + lawyers.

If you mock muslims with cartoons you run the risk of being knifed in the street or blown up. If you mock scientologists you are likely to get sued.

Fundamentalist X-tians are probably your safest target, since they are likely to take literally the whole "turning the other cheek" commandment.

Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

Hmmm. I would speculate that it might have something to do with the fact that scientologists have money + lawyers.

If you mock muslims with cartoons you run the risk of being knifed in the street or blown up. If you mock scientologists you are likely to get sued.

Fundamentalist X-tians are probably your safest target, since they are likely to take literally the whole "turning the other cheek" commandment.

ubblol rolleyes ubblol
exactly!!!!!! that was brilliant Patriarch!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

biggrin

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

Link

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

What do "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone think about it? They issued this statement to Daily Variety: "So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!" It was signed, "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

Inspired! biggrin

Page: