Page:
Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_tv/people_isaac_hayes

Written by:

NEW YORK -
Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.
ADVERTISEMENT

Hayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said.

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

I don't know whether many people on here watch South Park, but I consider this to be big news. I think this story will be more important to the American Youth than the resignation of some political charactor such as the Vice President. At least they still have Cartman smile.

I was going to put this in chat or on the "in the News" thread, but it seemed to embody issues that could spark discussion. When I read it, I was reminded of the discussion that we had regarding the cartoons about Islam.

I have not seen the Scientology episode, but I have seen several of the shows that were about Christianity or Judaism. One would be hard pressed to find a more offensive treatment of those religions on TV, except perhaps from a few stand up comedians. I tend to agree with the co-creators that the resignation may have had more to do with it being Scientology that was mocked, rather than religion in general.

I wonder how they will handle this. Maybe they will dispose of the old Chef in some funny way, and have a new replacement Chef. I don't think any replacement could pull off playing Chef. Isaac Hayes' voice seems to me to be irreplaceable.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Ding, Dong, The Chef is dead!

You bastards!

But wait, he's not dead, he's been reborn as Darth Chef, which leads things open to a continuation of the Chef saga... Personally, I'm unsure if I'd want him to come back. His tantrum over the show's view of his own religion kind of spoiled my vision of him.
I';ll never eat his Salisbury Steak and buttered noodles again.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

boobookittyfudgeGOLD Member
sneaky little kitty
251 posts

Posted:
anyone see the latest episode with chef's "return"?

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

mmmmm...cheesecake

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
brilliant episode.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Just watched the episode after downloading it with Bit Comet from Mr Twig.

It is genius of Chaplinesque proportions. The speech Chef gives at the end is a direct paraphrase of the speech at the end of "The Great Dictator."

Also, I have to love Kyle's little speech at Chef's funeral.

"Don't blame Chef - Blame that fruity little club that warped his mind"

I actually thought for a moment that they might have difficulty with this episode (because of the circumstances), yet instead Trey and Matt have knocked it for six (or a homerun, depending which side of the pond you are.)

Frakkin genius I tell ya. ubblol

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
a fundamentalist christian is, fundamentally, someone who believes jesus christ was the son of god and who died on the cross to redeem humanity of their sins. any more is just human perception(which i think you will find is usually conflicting, see back a page wink)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: