Forums > Social Chat > The Death of a Fire Scene...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I certainly don't represent the New York City fire scene. I'm a small fish in what was once a large pond. I'm not a great spinner by any means and do it as a hobby solely because it makes me happy.

But I am here to sadly report the death of the New York City Fire Community as I knew it. There are still remnants of it. The performance group that I hang with is alive and well. But the scene is dead as far as I can tell. Either that, or they're all hiding extremely well.

For those of you that saw "tribe of the burning sock" on COL1 you'll know that there was a huge scene at one time about a year and a half ago. People would show up in droves to spin, it would be a social scene as well as a fire scene. Weekly, sometimes more often, we'd meet up at local parks and such. Even having a brief civil war as one faction of our group split off to find another park since the original park was too out of the way.

Life was grand. Us newbies were wide eyed and giggly. The vets were inspiring. Everyone lit up at least once a night, even just to say they did. The biggest worries were those fuel mooches ("Hi, I just brought a thimble full of fuel and have 9 foot wicks, can I borrow some of yours?")

But then the weather got cold and our park got shut down after 9/11 and I spent the summer away and when I got back, it was gone. I've still yet to find it. I honestly don't think those people are spinning anymore.

I know it's winter and most spinners hibernate in the cold weather but I won't keep my fingers crossed to see what thaws out in the spring. I really think my city is dead to firespinning. I'm sure there are a few independant spinners out there that I haven't met. Heck, maybe I'll try the "meet others" section. Or maybe they'll see my post and tell me where they've all been hiding.

Sad news indeed, and I hope it never happens to your community.

So for those of you planning your world tours of fire spinning communities... skip New York City. It's dead.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I might be in New York for St. Patricks Day in March, can't wait.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Ah, St. Patrick's day in NY......

A big parade....

Green colored beer....

John Ford's "The Quiet Man" on Channel 11 at 8pm...

tradition..

Raphael

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Now that we've named names... my point is that I haven't seen anyone but the above names spin in the state of New York in about a year.

*waving, jumping up and down*

Helloooooo! What am I...swiss cheese? Just cause you *never* venture out of your little corner of NY into the rural, wilderness that is the city I live in doesn't mean we're not spinning over here!
The state IS bigger than NYC you know!!!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
"The state IS bigger than NYC you know!!!"

Nah, thats Canada!

Raph

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry Pele, I've never ever seen you spin AND I haven't seen you in over a year so my statements are true. But I guess it's about time for your bi-annual upstate-inferority post

Besides, I probably can't afford to hire you and we all know you don't spin for free...

( Ouch! )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
yesshh...id look out if i were you NYC...maybe she really knows how to use that whip...

but then again maybe thats what you were hoping for......

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i have no doubts nyc is trying to scam some free spankings here...

BUSTED!!!!!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: