Forums > Social Chat > The Death of a Fire Scene...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I certainly don't represent the New York City fire scene. I'm a small fish in what was once a large pond. I'm not a great spinner by any means and do it as a hobby solely because it makes me happy.

But I am here to sadly report the death of the New York City Fire Community as I knew it. There are still remnants of it. The performance group that I hang with is alive and well. But the scene is dead as far as I can tell. Either that, or they're all hiding extremely well.

For those of you that saw "tribe of the burning sock" on COL1 you'll know that there was a huge scene at one time about a year and a half ago. People would show up in droves to spin, it would be a social scene as well as a fire scene. Weekly, sometimes more often, we'd meet up at local parks and such. Even having a brief civil war as one faction of our group split off to find another park since the original park was too out of the way.

Life was grand. Us newbies were wide eyed and giggly. The vets were inspiring. Everyone lit up at least once a night, even just to say they did. The biggest worries were those fuel mooches ("Hi, I just brought a thimble full of fuel and have 9 foot wicks, can I borrow some of yours?")

But then the weather got cold and our park got shut down after 9/11 and I spent the summer away and when I got back, it was gone. I've still yet to find it. I honestly don't think those people are spinning anymore.

I know it's winter and most spinners hibernate in the cold weather but I won't keep my fingers crossed to see what thaws out in the spring. I really think my city is dead to firespinning. I'm sure there are a few independant spinners out there that I haven't met. Heck, maybe I'll try the "meet others" section. Or maybe they'll see my post and tell me where they've all been hiding.

Sad news indeed, and I hope it never happens to your community.

So for those of you planning your world tours of fire spinning communities... skip New York City. It's dead.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay, now, i think i sort of met some of you 1337 guys at a festival in atlanta, tho i was severely depressed and distracted the whole time as i was in town to visit someone that was dying... do you guys do stuff with a crew in atlanta?
which one of you could it be? one guy was a staffer, he was really good and had black hair and glasses, and if i had actually spent any time talking with anybody , i would probably remember his name now...hmmm.... like shooting hippies in a barrel...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
quote:
Bummer, i didn't know that Nomad was going back to France Maybe i'll go visit them for First Night...

Indeed, i am moving back to Paris. Five years in the US is about as much as i can take before achieving total insanity.

Anthelion is not dying though and will try to perform in each of our homelands while regrouping once a year at Burning Man. This week, some of us are doing First Night Boston while one of our members is performing at the Red Sea New Year's rave in Sharm el Sheik (Egypt).

Arashi, i know 1337 and i believe they were in Atlanta at some point this summer. The guy you are talking about.... is that Chuck?

Nomad

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
man, I WANNA MOVE TO PARIS TOOOOOO!!!!!!

chuck? maybe. he did a bunch of contact staff. you know i might have made up the glasses in my head, tho. he had a sort of retro/50's psycho brady bunch freaky style about him, like he would wear the thick black glasses ...
(pushes up his thick black glasses)

i know somebody else in new york. his hop name is carnelian angel. guys ever met him? he's a real nice guy, one of our outer rim family members, and he picked up fire, what, four years ago? i bet he'd come hang witchu guys, show you some "austin style " esp. if you mentioned mine or sage's name...

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Yes, that would be Chuck.

And I did meet someone in NYC who was originally from Austin and had learnt from Sage. Probably the guy you're talking about.

Nomad

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
man this is making me wonder how many new york hoppers i know but don't know that i know. was there anybody else with chuck there in atlanta that i would have met? i know i met skunk for a few at BM.

i mean, i'm not that hard to miss... tall, lean, elfin, shy, crazy multicolored dreads with feathers and ribbons in 'em, ugly kisser , small butt , you know, ring any bells?

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
The other nyc fire spinners i know are part of 1337 and i don't think any of them wanders on this board. I'll name a few, maybe it'll refresh your memory: Jen, Gabi, Alex, Chuck, Ben, Cassandra, Skunk, Heather, Doug.

Nomad

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
and Splinter and Me.

That's us...

Now that we've named names... my point is that I haven't seen anyone but the above names spin in the state of New York in about a year.

And yeah, they don't post here much. Probably because I've ruined it for everyone.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
arashi,

You may want to re-think moving to Paris...

Its a very pretty city, but coming from the States its a tough place to live.

Raph

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Raphael, i'm curious to know what makes you say that. My situation is different. After living 5 years in the US, I'm moving back to Paris. Can you explain?

Nomad

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Nomad,

There are some wonderful things about Paris and I have enjoyed my time here very much. However, this is a generalization, the Parisians are not friendly as a group.
Danae was the one who put it best when she said right after we wrapped up a burn by the Seine that they were just closed off and cold.
This is not to say that there are not exceptions to the "rule" so don't take offense at this post.

I realize that many people have the feeling that New Yorkers are rude as a group, too. I have always found them to be some of the most helpful and friendly people around...once again this is a generalization.

I don't want to sit here bashing the French, so I'll end it here. (The frequent strikes *are* annnoying, though!)

Raphael

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well they definitely do speak better English than most New Yorkers.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
NYC,

That applies mostly to cab drives, deli owners and people who work in 7-11.

Raph

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh, I wasn't even talking about those that immigrated. I can understand most of them just fine. It's us brooklyn natives that can't seem to conjugate a verb.

"Ayyy, Ohhh, Yan-keez, No Good eh?" - My security guy expressing his disappointment at the Yankees inability to win their last World Series.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay let's make no bones about this here...

I WANNA GO TO PARIS!!!!

my true love is in france. i think. or maybe i'm just smitten by the big eyes, brunette hair and the accent, huh?

so you can expect me there within the next few years.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'm here until fall of 2004 when I plan on moving back to NY.

In the meantime, I hope to spin with as many of you as possible here....before spinning with as many of you as possible back in the States.

Raphael

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Hey Raphael, when you move back make sure you look me up, k?

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Don't do it... she's a siren... run! Save yourself!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
haha very funny smartass! maybe he likes sirens....

~Charles Baudelaire

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm.... i don't like to hear all this shit about a sucky scene in Paris. Raphael, i hope to meet you after i move there. Cass took me to one of those burns by the Seine. Pretty sweet spot...

Nomad

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See now I know you're lying. Yeah, that spot by the siene is lovely but Cass will be the first to tell you that they are the least freindly firespinners on the planet. And that's from Princess Welcomewagon herself. I got a small taste of the fire scene on the seine but took Cassandras word that my taste was accurate. I even had one guy who walked up to me and took my fuel from beside my leg and then walked away without even making eye contact, let alone asking. It was one of the rudest moment's I've had spinning. It wasn't a language thing either as Cass seemed to be treated just as rudely on other occations. The only time we met warm people is when they were from out of town.

As for the rest of Paris, I loved it though. I just think Nomad needs to whip the Siene Ampitheater into shape because it's an IDEAL spinning location. Especially when the tour boats slow down to get a better look and the tourists all cheer and yell. In fact, it is probably the most ideal outdoor spinning location I've ever been to... which made the unfriendly vibe even more apparent.

All in my humble opinion.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Actually, we found an even better spot by the Seine.

The old spot was rife with all kinds of people who kind of made it less than comfy to spin, I felt.
The last time we were spinning there, some homeless guy who had been eyeing Danae, kissed her back while she was spinning.
She handles things much better than I would, I'm sure.

Anyhow, this new spot by the Seine has less people, but the vibe is much better. Its too cold now to spin outdoors here.

Nomad- I look forward to meeting you when you come back here. I have much to learn!

Nyx- I think I'll be back in NYC for a week or so in March. If the weather is nice enough, perhaps we could get together with NYC and waste some kerosene.

Raphael

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well she does have a nice back...

Glad to see you've got a new place. And you will be blessed to be spinning with Nomad. He's quite the master teacher though he'd never say it himself.

As for Nyx, you probably don't even need to ask... just show up at her place with fuel and she'll spin.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Would that be the same scary homeless guy that kept trying to steal Dibs when we were there? Bit wooly . . . carrying a guitar . . .

Meh

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Raph, i'd be happy to show you some Boston-style spinning :-)

And don't listen to NYC, i've got much to learn myself...

Nomad

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
C@ntus,

Actually it was a different homeless guy!

That sounds like a bad Jerry Springer show topic: Homeless Guys who dig Poi Girls!

Ah, smell the ratings!

Raph

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
NYC,

Yeah, she does have a nice back.

If the weather is good, lets spin in march!

I dont think I'd show up on someone's doorstep and ask if he/she wanted to spin. Just imagine if I got the address wrong..

Raph

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
yeesh..srry NYC...but the people who love it and really feel it in their soul will always be there..and thats what counts right?

and just to ask....why couldnt the 70's come back!?!?! i have the COOLEST rhinestone platforms somewhere....

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
NYC, when I was in NYC a few years ago interviewing at Columbia Med, I remember when it was time to leave I got into a cab and the driver (who was a local) asked me where I was going. I said "LaGuardia." He then asked "Which way do you want to go?"

I looked at him and I said "I said 'LaGuardia', not 'LaGuahdia'. Do you really think I know which way to go?"

He laughed really hard.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
LOL at Mike's story!

Raphael, let me know when you're planning on being around and i will definately organize a gathering of spinners!

~Charles Baudelaire

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Nyx,

As soon as I know the schedule for my next trip home to NY, I'll let you know.

sirens are ok as long as they aren't going off in my ear.

Raphael

Page: